The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Perfect small M8 day bag - Billingham stowaway pola

bradhusick

I just got what I think is a perfect small day bag for an M8 with lens, plus one or two additional lenses. It's easy to wear bandolier style as a satchel, and the top zipper makes it easy to extract the M8 when you're ready to shoot. I tried it with a 90mm f/2.5 attached to the camera.

It's about as small as you can go and still have access to the camera with a mounted lens. Outside pockets store batteries, cards, etc. Sold in black, olive and tan.

7.08 x 3.15 x 8.26" (18 x 8.0 x 21cm) (WxDxH)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...towaway_Pola_Shoulder_Bag.html#specifications

Last edited:
P

pmun

bradhusick - thanks very much for that - just what I needed to know. I've just bought an M8 with the 28 Elmarit and was looking for such a bag. Billinghams are very well made and feel lovely.

P

pmun

I received one of these today, but it's too big for the M8/Elmarit 28. The camera shakes around too much, it's a shame there isn't a divider insert. I have to send it back.

bradhusick

Why not put another lens in there to keep it from shaking around? Or put the camera in the bottom of the bag and save room for a few accessories.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Brad,

Very nice. I bought a Digital Hadley last year some time which takes the M8 with a lens and one or two extras. You get two velrco fastening internal dividers and one open pocket at the front.

I like the additional zipped pocket at the front with yours.

I am actually looking for something a little smaller as I basically just take a M8 with a Summicron 35 ASPH out at the moment. Somewhere to put the camera in heavy rain and a pocket for a couple of extras would be great. I will compare the dimensions.

P

pmun

Thanks Brad for the advice - don't tempt me too buy another lens!

I've had a good search and other than the Fogg there really doesn't seem to be anything for just the body and small lens. I bought the M8 so I could travel light and not look too much like a photographer.

Godfrey

I've had a good search and other than the Fogg there really doesn't seem to be anything for just the body and small lens. I bought the M8 so I could travel light and not look too much like a photographer.
Presuming you like the little Billy overall, I recommend making a little filler-bumper out of foam and cover it in cloth to make the interior "fitted" for the camera and lens you have, taking up spare room so it doesn't bump around and get scuffed. Then, if/when you need to carry anything else, it's easy to re-do that bit: you won't need to then look for a slightly larger bag.

I use the Domke F5XB this way, it's my favorite small bag. I have had it since 1994 or so: it's carried several different small camera kits for travel, day walks and such. I've reconfigured its interior with little lumps and pads I made many times.

Hmm ... the F5XA is a bit smaller, will it still fit the M8 plus lens? might be a thought.

P

pmun

You have some good points there Godfrey - thanks. To be honest, I'm not very good at makeshift, especially if I'm spending GBP70 on a bag. I want it to be fit for purpose right out of the shop. The Hadleys, for example, have removable insterts so you can custom manage and still retain the quality of the product. The padding is also better on the Hadleys and yet the price at least for the Hadley Digital is similar to the Pola.

F

fefe

The stowaway Pola is what i have been using for 2 years and a half for my M8. I always carry 2 lenses the way you describe (most commonly a collapsed 90 macro elmar and a CV15), but with no pouch. I have the spare battery fit in the hole under the lens that is attached to the body. My wallet fits on top of the M8/lenses.
I love all the additional pockets where I have everything I need ranging from passeport, grey card, SD cards, card reader, a beer opener and more junk.

I've traveled all over the place with this bag and it's quite tough and discrete and the lack of padding has never been a problem for me...

ampguy

That Pola looks nice.

One of the things I always use with my M's in 5fxb, J803, and for single camera, single lens use, a case logic digicam (maybe it's for camcorders?) bags -smaller than the Pola, and lighter, and a bit more discrete, but will still hold a 21-50/1.4 with extra battery and SD card) to support the lens is one of those curl up neoprene cold drink wrappers. I keep them curled with a rubber band or two around them. They keep the M from leaning over and support the lens.

wjlapier

Presuming you like the little Billy overall, I recommend making a little filler-bumper out of foam and cover it in cloth to make the interior "fitted" for the camera and lens you have, taking up spare room so it doesn't bump around and get scuffed. Then, if/when you need to carry anything else, it's easy to re-do that bit: you won't need to then look for a slightly larger bag.

I use the Domke F5XB this way, it's my favorite small bag. I have had it since 1994 or so: it's carried several different small camera kits for travel, day walks and such. I've reconfigured its interior with little lumps and pads I made many times.

Hmm ... the F5XA is a bit smaller, will it still fit the M8 plus lens? might be a thought.
The F-5XA will fit my M3 and Tanack 50/2 mounted, and on the other side of the divider two tiny wide LTM Nikkors back to back, with room for film, filters and adapters.

I have the F-5XB for my mFT kit--GF1 and 20/1.7, 7-14, and 14-140.

cookedart

What about the Stowaway Compact or Stowaway Airline?

The Pola is W180 x D80 x H210mm
The Stowaway Compact is W155 x D65 x H210mm

So Height is the same as the Pola, but the other dimensions are much smaller... more ideal for just one camera and its lens.

I just got what I think is a perfect small day bag for an M8 with lens, plus one or two additional lenses.....
Would you say the padding is sufficient to protect the camera from the normal bumps of city life (putting it on the floor when sitting down for a coffee, or even having a swing door accidentally hit it)?

Edit: Just noticed the age of this thread, but still interested in an answer to my question.....;)

Last edited: