The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is a Rodenstock TV-Heligon....

apicius9

... and can I use it on a G1?

I had auctioned a pack of 'c-mount TV lenses' at this auction in Oregon a few weeks back, and they came in today - only 2 of them turned out to be c-mounts and one of them in useless shape. The others are all very strange, and the ones catching my attention were two Rodenstocks. I will post pictures later when I get home, but one of them is the same as this one here, only in better shape:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RODENSTOCK-TV-H...=66:4|65:13|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:200

The second one is a very nice and heavy looking 64/0.95. Both have fixed focus and fixed aperture and seem to have different mounts that I don't know. As I said, I'll post pictures in case anybody knows more about the mounts but thought I'd start asking to see if anybody knows anything about them.

Thanks,

Stefan

V

Vivek

Two words I have to describe them- Utter Crap.

(I have a few and have shot with them on film and DSLRs)

They are usually >1 kg in weight, fixed focus, fixed aperture (no diaphram) and have tons of many aberrations. To make it more useless the back focus at infinity is only a few mm.

They were made as collimating lenses for X-Ray machines (they would record the green phosphor screens illuminated by X-ray) and directly focused on a tapered fiber glass end that sat on a sensor.

Mount these on any 4/3rds or 4/3rds and you are in for a shock. These are the anti thesis of what a telecentric lens is.

Have "fun"! :ROTFL:

apicius9

Thanks for the info Vivek, that almost sounds like you have an opinion on them ;) I found a few things through google about them, and they really seem to be of 'limited use', to say it conservatively... This post here shows a few pics, almost a bit artsy:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=31562241&q=rodenstock+heligon&qf=m

For mounting, the gentleman just glued on an Nikon adapter - that is about the amount of work and money I would be willing to invest to play around with it, but I don't have a Nikon to m4/3 adapter and so it sounds like it may not be worth it if I have to get that one first. I have all other lens formats I need covered and for these 'special' pictures alone I wouldn't want to spend too much. Unless someone has other ideas or experiences?

- Here is another collection of pictures I found, taken with the 50/0.75, same concept I guess.

http://www.aletan.com/p972322920

Oh, and heavy they are! The 64mm one has a diameter of an estimated 70mm and should weigh close to a kg.

Stefan

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Stefan, Just hold them in front of your G1 and make a few snaps. If you are not satisfied, sell them off (unless you are like me- an accumulator)!

pentacon6

I also have a similar lens which is Kowa 50mm f1 which is almost the same character as Rodenstock. I apeture the iris can be adjust of sticking a small piece of paper with hole.

The aperture is large to keep the image sharp. 1/3 small in diameter may help.

apicius9

Interesting, think I have to play more with them. Just checked the 42/0.75 but it really needs a good cleaning first, as it is I can't say what is a smudge and what is an effect...

This pic is just a piece of Hawaiian koa wood taken with the 64/0.95 lens on a wooden cutting board. I like the way the colors came out (jpg, straight from the camera) but this is free hand and if I want any chance on getting anything sharp I have to get out the tripod. Mmmhh, maybe I do need one of these rail thingies after all :)

More experiments this weekend, I hope.

Stefan

M

milapse

Gives and interesting effect... I kind of like it! If your looking for that soft mysterious feel this lens definitely does the trick.