The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hot Rod a Mac Book Pro

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I bought a new Unibody 15 inch 2.93 about a little over a month ago and what I decided was i needed a more portable unit that had a lot of horsepower and the MacPro was not as important but still get as close as i can to the performance of a MacPro. Very difficult task and the reality is you can get fairly close BUT the limiting factor at the end of the day is cores and just now getting totally around having 2 cores compared to 4 or 8 on a MacPro. Now I say this with some caveats because CS4 is a more Ram hunger program and you can cheat here to some degree. The issue is a program like C1 which is more core dependent and processor but again you can cheat but only so much. Also I say this with a fact that I use a 31 mpx back and obviously this will take horsepower.

Now there are really two parts to this process or better yet the way to set this up. maybe even better way to say this you can get a home option. Let me explain the best possible way to go. First obviously buy a new Unibody and either flavor will do the 17 inch or the 15 inch 2.93 or 2.66 you do get a about a 10 percent gain in the 2.93. Now I say these two models for a very specific reason they both can take 8gbs of Ram and now other processor can. Everything else like a 2.53 or 2.8 can only take 6gb so be careful on what unit you buy and you can't go wrong buying brand new on these because the 15 or 17 will take 8gb of ram. Also I am living proof the 15 inch can take 8gbs of Ram even though Apple said you could not , long story there. So either find your way to a Apple seller. let's make this simple for travel most will want the 15 inch and when at home rig it up to a 30 inch display or 24 inch display which you can do very easily. I have a 30 inch and can run both 30 and laptop screen at the same time. First I would order the 15 inch because of the travel need than I ordered the 2.93 and whatever ram Apple gives you, you are going to rip it out anyway so buy the lowest amount. Now little trick here get a 7200 drive in the box either a 250 or 320 and reason why is you will use this later as a travel drive in a enclosure like a LaCie that you will replace the drive with this one, they are mostly 5400 drives but some are 7200.

Okay first thing to do here is make sure your old box is loaded up with all the correct software you want and all updated and make sure you repair the permissions. Now some programs need to be deactivated before you transfer to a new box, CS4 and most Adobe products are of this type, so is Quark. Also do a just in case here and clone your old drive to a external using Carbon cloaner before you deactivate and continue with you new MBP . Than boot that up and use migrate assistant to transfer all your programs and settings over. Than make sure your repair the permissions on the new box as well and get that all running up to be spped before we continue with the Hot rod hardware.

Okay now everything on the new box is running and your feeling pretty good ,now time to open the bad boy up and get busy. First thing to do is replace the Ram with a kit by OWC for 719 dollars and it is 2 4gb chips to put in the MBP. Here is that link http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/ actually the price dropped to 639.
At this point I would flip the MBP over and boot up and make sure the ram is being seen and the box actually boots up. If not seated correctly it won't boot. See this for install see step 12 http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/MacBook-Unibody/589/1

Okay now the fun begins. To get the maximum performance Raid 0 is the way to go since it bumps up the reads and writes of two drives together much higher than a single drive can do. Now the issue is putting 2 spinning drives in a laptop, it creates heat , sucks battery and gets downright noisy. So what to do the option is obvious and first off I did say this won't be cheap , fair warning but SSD is the way to go. Several very obvious advantages nothing spinning for one, zero latency, runs cool , draws little battery power, more rugged since no moving parts and good at altitude. All the stuff you want for a road warrior machine. Okay the downside besides being expensive the write times are slower but the read times are blazingly fast. Programs open in less than two seconds if not immediate and all at once now less, as fast as you can hit all your dock items there up and running. Now performance wise does not mean much but the can read data extremely fast and when you Raid 0 them they get even faster but you gain on the writes and when processing and working in Cs4 saving files is all about write times.

Now the best SSD on the market today are Intel,yes there are some that maybe faster and and all that but the Intels overall from all reports just perform better on all counts. Now I have the M class SSD intels and for most folks these are a excellent choice and 2 80gb drives are 320 dollars they have gone down in price as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Now two 80 gb in Raid ) is 160 gbs together but you will only get 148 total. Now as a single drive the reads and writes are
Sequential Access - Read: Up to 250MB/s
Sequential Access - Write: Up to 70MB/s

Now when you Raid 0 them you get about 50 percent and more read and write speed which is really good.

Now if you want to go for broke and I mean broke you can get the E class and become the missile not just the rocket it fires from. Now hold your breath they are 782 EACH 64gb drive and you need TWO of them http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167014

But as you see the reads and writes are much faster in the single drive
Sequential Access - Read: up to 250 MB/s
Sequential Access - Write: up to 170 MB/s

The key here is the Writes jumped to 170 and in Raid ) at 50 percent more well you can see you are cooking here but also with a lot less money in your pocket.

I went for the M drives for now until the E class drops in price at some point in life and hopefully these numbers go up on speeds and prices drop plus the drives get bigger. But if you are a pig and want bragging rights this is your answer.

Now the question comes in how to install two drives in a MBP. Well kiss your optical drive goodbye and need to install a bracket instead there to connect a SSD drive in its place. Maxupgrades sells them and also MCE http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...B&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY&Product_Count=0
and http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.display&product_id=186

I bought the Maxupgrades and mine did not come with instructions since I was pretty new to buy it but maybe now they have them with the product but you can get a good idea here how it goes in place of the optical steps 13,14 and 15 here http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/MacBook-Unibody/589/2

Okay once you get all these parts installed you need to take out your original drive and use a small Firewire 800 enclosure or a Voyager that you can boot up from. Once you boot up with your new drives in place than you need to initialize them and you can do that within your disk utility and than a good idea here is to follow Lloyds guides http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-RAID.html.

I highly recommend Lloyds site for all kinds of tips and tricks as well.

Once you have that all done you should be ready to go. I have more details on this and just ask and we can address them here for you. But let me drop into home use. And when you are at home you can Raid 0 two 3.5 drives in a enclosure and run a E-sata cable to the Express port and again you will find that data on Lloyds site but the Express card that has the highest transfer speeds is the Sonnet http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technology/SATAIIPROE34/

Now with this setup you can actually run a OS outside the box in Raid O using the E-sata connection. With that you can run two very high speed 3.5 drives like you would on a MacPro and get transfer speeds up to 200mgs/per second with the Sonnet card. So you can have a home use setup as well and also have a Drobo connected with firewire and several other options as well.

I will stop here for questions and such and hopefully others can help out as well.

Lars

Guy, Hehe awesome typing :) thanks for sharing. Sounds like it's time for Apple to offer a quadcore MacBook. Where are you WRT heat and battery life? Not a priority obviously but still interesting.

Ben, 7200RPM drives get up to about 80 MB/sec R and W (average throughput - peak is about 100 MB/sec), the new Seagate 7200.4 drives just smoke the competition.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2009-2.5-mobile-hard-drive-charts/benchmarks,53.html

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Lars as far as heat there really is none. The only place I feel heat is in the connection area but the box runs at 49c and the fans are 2000 rpm at idle. It will crank up when processing. Battery life I have not really given it a good test but so far it looks better than my old MBP.

If Apple came out with a quad core, might be not many would go for a MacPro. I have a lot of stuff hanging off the side as they say so I could get pretty close to having a lot of capability in a laptop with Firewire 800 and the E-sata. I have a lot of hard drive space with a Drobo and a external e-sata drive.

Ben Rubinstein

I only need 40GB for an operating system if I just get a couple of 32 GB drives and raid 0 them together it would be a lot cheaper. Would I really need the expensive Intels?

Couple of questions: Firstly are the 1500000 or whatever read/write cycles sufficient for drives which will be used for OS, programs, scratch and page on a computer that is left on the whole time?

Secondly I read that certain OS's don't like the SSD's. Why, what and is this a real issue?

Guy Mancuso

There was a boot camp issue with the Intels when they first came out Ben and you needed a firmware update. I did that with mine but the new ones are all set to go now. My fully loaded system even with I tunes stuff is 42gb so yes you could go 2 32 for 64 but maybe only get 56gb out of it . Cutting is a little close. You also want you drives to have elbow room to run from what I understand. There are also some other units from OZX Vertex I believe that are said to be pretty good an a lot cheaper 60gb at 275 each http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227433
I would look into these further though before making the purchase. There should be some reviews on them out there.
The only way scratch really helps is if you have faster than what you are using as a OS or equal to it otherwise the OS can handle it pretty well . When you will get in trouble is pushing very very large files otherwise I have no scratch myself but my machine beats my old MacPro in CS4 times but not my C1 times. There its all about cores with my big files. My only real limitation is C1 processing is slower than it was but Cs4 i am getting good test numbers. I ran short of money to finish this off but if I had a Raid 0 external box running through the express slot than scratch would help me. But as it is the scratch i have a single 7200 drive is doing nothing faster with scratch. Maybe Jack can talk more about scratch than me as he understands that better than I do but a single drive outside the box is doing nothing for me. But I don't get much past a 700gb file. Stitching this maybe a area that scratch really becomes important otherwise go pour a cup of coffee. LOL

Lars

There are different technologies for the memory used in SSD's. The expensive tech that Intel uses is called SLC, wheras cheaper tech is called MLC which has unimpressive write speed. The drives you see in netbooks are all MLC.

http://geekadviser.com/2008/12/mlc-vs-slc-ssd-drive-and-their-uses/

In short, SLC is faster and much more reliable, and has greater lifespan.

Re r/w cycles, it's that many cycles in the same location, so it will last much longer than a hard drive.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Lars you are filling in my gaps perfectly. LOL

I know you know a lot about this stuff as well and really I am pretty low on the totem poll of this kind of knowledge

Lars

Yeah you're all pragmatic what does it give me and what's the price tag LOL
Great to see you pushing the limits though, I don't have the budget for that.

Ben Rubinstein

Lars, even those with a 150mb/s are almost double the speed of a regular hard drive are they not? A couple of even the less spectacular drives in a raid 0 will still smoke a regular HD and as there is zero seek I can use it for swap file and pagefile as well. Should be able to do it for about $250 which isn't that much for a serious speed upgrade.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

BTW Guy, I'm running my OS and all programs on a drive that's 25 GB. Even add an 8GB Pagefile and I'm not exactly going to be stretching it with 55 or so gigabytes. Everything non program or OS is on seperate internal drives.

Just been doing some research, the SSD drives are working on about a £=$ basis here in the UK. I haven't got the time to mess about with this anyway with the big summer wedding season about to happen but maybe when it's finished I'll get some send over from the US. They'll be cheaper by then anyway.

Last edited:

stephengilbert

Ben,

Examine that tree. Although the Intel drives are more expensive, the additional price may be worth paying. Here's an article comparing the various brands which favors the Intel. (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-hdd-flash,2127.html) And I believe Lloyd Chambers still does as well.

Of course, these things are changing fast, and six months from now they'll likely be cheaper. If I were buying one today, I'd get an Intel. (And I did, a few weeks ago.)

Steve

Ben Rubinstein

I don't need it, certainly not that level of speed. No excuse to spend that level of money. If it's only a couple of hundred then I don't mind and if it gives me double plus speed then I'm happy. More than that, even for the bigger boost - it's just not worth it for me to spend.

If a regular HD is 70mbs and a cheap SSD is 150mbs and then I raid 0 it then I've already well got over double the speed.

Ben Rubinstein

Just read that article. Hmmm. Didn't realise that the mbs figures were based on numbers picked out of the air. Heck maybe I'll just wait a bit...

Guy Mancuso

Ben just watch the speeds advertised on some of these SSD. Look at some reviews for sure before outputting money , heard some stories speeds not as advertised. But there are some good ones out there.

Lars

Lars, even those with a 150mb/s are almost double the speed of a regular hard drive are they not?
Yep by competition to the Samsung 7200.4 I referred to other hard drives. Of course bandwidth is not everything. Even the cheaper MLC SSDs have extremely short access time compared to HDs, which is great for OS type maneuvers where many small files are involved, but almost irrelevant for Guy's 31 Mpx files.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
With some generous help from Guy, the expert advice on diglloyd s website and the OWC videos ....I now have version one of my hot rod MacBook pro.

I started with the same 2.93 MacBook Pro and the 320gb/7200 drive. Upgraded the ram to 8Gb and installed a 160gb intel x25m ssd. This necessitated my updating essentially all my relevant software (since I was still happily running Tiger ).

Not everything made sense to me for example LR was taken off my machine and I reinstalled by downloading the current version. So far no requests for the serial numbers ? So the system must have retained the adobe authorization.

Capture One is loaded and I am busily studying the manual and creating a file of test images to work with.

Leopard is actually the biggest change and getting used to the touch pad (well it sucks) but new safari is great and now all the software is matched to the current operating system.

The SSD is so fast I can not keep up with it. Screen loading is blazingly fast .

My plan is to work with this configuration until the prices of the SSD come down a bit and then add a second 160gb SSD . Right now its too expensive and unnecessary.

I did buy a Voyager which was very helpful in cloning backups at each step in the process. I was overly careful and never had a glitch.

No excuses now.

Thanks Guy and to others that advised me

Roger Dunham

Guy Mancuso

Great news Roger sounds like it all fell into place perfectly. One more thing do a backup OS on some external drive and file it away just in case something happens to the laptop.

Also Roger cool thing with Carbon cloner is you can schedule incremental backups. To external drive or partition that is like a ongoing backup. It will look like this, use this drive as a emergency boot up if something weird happens. This way you have a permanent backup that sits in a drawer and than this one is a ongoing backup. I'm not the biggest fan of time machine reason I go this route and it's faster. Time machine actually slows down your system as it is backing up