The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus picture leak

R

Ranger 9

I suppose that by now a lot of people here have seen this picture from the Hong Kong OMUser forum (and pointed out by 1001 Noisy Cameras...?)

My quick reactions:

-- This doesn't look like a Photoshop patch job; I suspect it's authentic, although who knows whether this is a final-version camera or an earlier prototype...?

-- They've done a good job of mimicking the plan-view shape of the Pen FT, with the right-hand side longer than the left and tapering away from the lens. The taper seems to be just a cosmetic shaping of the top cover, though; the actual body looks pretty chunky.

-- The contrasting brushed and shiny metal trim bits look cool and should give it that gotta-have-it vibe for fans of shiny metal bits.

-- On the other hand, there aren't a lot of visible controls; I wonder whether you'll have to resort to menus to access common functions...?

-- Since I do a lot of low-light shooting, it's hard for me to get too excited about a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8, although I like the small size and it's very cool-looking.

-- I'll probably wind up wishing I could have one, but sticking to my Panasonic G1 because of its eye-level finder option and discrete controls.

Photomorgana

Yes, unfortunately this might be it.
Well I like the camera, but hope they release another body maybe next year, that fits serious enthusiasts better. (sort of micro E-1)

Terry

Cool! I'm excited. This is about what I expected it to be from the tidbits that have been leaking out. It will be interesting to see what lenses they come out with. There said to be several lenses coming. Hopefully they have view finders for each and that there is some kind of electrical coupling if an OVF to give a confirm light that you've gotten focus. Hard to see a control wheel near the thumb rest and one would certainly be vital for ajusting the lens aperture.

pellicle

that looks so nice! I wonder if I'll be regretting jumping onto my G1 any time soon?

I've always like the Trip 35 ... and this looks just like it!

Photomorgana

Cool! I'm excited. This is about what I expected it to be from the tidbits that have been leaking out. It will be interesting to see what lenses they come out with. There said to be several lenses coming. Hopefully they have view finders for each and that there is some kind of electrical coupling if an OVF to give a confirm light that you've gotten focus. Hard to see a control wheel near the thumb rest and one would certainly be vital for ajusting the lens aperture.
They really dont need a viewfinder for each lens, since the viewfinder will be EVF. All it will be doing is showing the image that sensor gets from the lens.

Jonas

They really dont need a viewfinder for each lens, since the viewfinder will be EVF. All it will be doing is showing the image that sensor gets from the lens.
But is there an EVF? I'm afraid there will be an LCD only. If that is so I guess some will want optional optical finders, as par Terry's post.

I don't think I'll be interested in any camera not having a viewfinder. And having to add one seems clumsy and unpractical. Why have a small camera if one needs to add essential things to it to use it.

OTOH, some will do fine with an LCD only.

jonoslack

Doesn't it look lovely-
there's a sideways picture at http://43rumors.com/
there is a little black thing on the right hand side which could be a thumb wheel.
Jonas - I'm pretty sure there will be no evf, and no built in flash either. It's possible there will be a plug in EVF to go in the hotshoe though (rather like the Ricoh plug in, but hopefully much better).

jonoslack

This seems to be the consumer one... i am keen on the pro one.... with OVF
Klaus - I think this is meant to be a top of the range one, at least, certainly not a consumer one, that'll come later.
Whether they do one with an OVF is very questionable - I'd love it if they did one like a rangefinder with a fixed focal length, and with an overlay of framelines and focus confirmation depending on the lens / zoom etc. being used. Ideally you could have 3, one for wide angle lenses, one for mid and another for longer lenses (rather like the three different rangefinders available on the M7 . . but without having to change cameras).

It's possible that they could have done this with the E-P1, with plugin viewfinders. I'm not really sure how else they could do it.

Whatever, 'pro version' with an OVF sounds unlikely to me.

Brian Mosley

Doesn't it look lovely-
there's a sideways picture at http://43rumors.com/
there is a little black thing on the right hand side which could be a thumb wheel.
Jonas - I'm pretty sure there will be no evf, and no built in flash either. It's possible there will be a plug in EVF to go in the hotshoe though (rather like the Ricoh plug in, but hopefully much better).
So, plug in EVF *or* plug in flash, but not both at the same time?

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

So, plug in EVF *or* plug in flash, but not both at the same time?

Cheers

Brian
Looks like it doesn't it
Personally I can't imagine using flash with it anyway . . . but I can see it would be a limitation for some.
Actually, I won't use a plug in EVF either . . a plug in OVF would be a different matter.

N

nei1

why you would link this to "pro version" I dont know,if it has no built in viewfinder then its just another point and shoot.the lx3 would be a better buy,the lens is faster and the sensor is not that much smaller.

there must be more to this camera than has been leaked.

kweide

... pro or not pro... it looks beautiful. I really hope the Zuikos are fully compatible incl. AF

jonoslack

why you would link this to "pro version" I dont know,if it has no built in viewfinder then its just another point and shoot.the lx3 would be a better buy,the lens is faster and the sensor is not that much smaller.

there must be more to this camera than has been leaked.
HI Neil
the sensor in the LX3 is MUCH SMALLER:

Pixel density:
LX3: 24
EP1: 5
D3x: 2.8

on this measure, the sensor on the LX3 is 1/5th the size of the Olympus sensor, which is only half the size of the Nikon

It has interchangeable lenses, you can put a 24mm f1.4 on it if you want to (and can afford it) - or a 50mm 0.95.

I actually agree about the optical viewfinder, but there is nothing to stop you putting one in the hot shoe (they are going to provide them)

as for 'pro' silly word anyway, it's just that it's built well rather than cheaply.

N

nei1

I started with an om1,have very fond memories of it and would like this new olympus that promises to be as revolutionary as the om1 was in its day to be a sucess. However its difficult to see why after so complicated a publicity campaign that it seems a pen f is an impossibility,I frankly dont believe that this is the case and wonder why the camera that we all want cant be made.

kevinparis

Looking really nice... just a hint of pen f retro - may have preferred it in black ...looks a little too shiny.

Also looks like it has video - there is a movie camera icon on the mode dial

V

Vivek

No pop up! I am sold already!:p

It is now official that I am getting rid off my Nikon stuff!!:ROTFL: