The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The end of the line for the R

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Finally the final word on the future of the R system. I a meeting of the LUF in Hessenpark Stefan Daniel announced this bombshell.
Leica will not attempt to muscle in on the DSLR market, as they see it a a sure way to commit harakiri.
But there is no reason to sell your R lenses (unless, of course, you want to send them to me :D)

In a later conversation I had with Stefan later he outlined Leica's plans with full commitment:
Leica will have a FF EVF camera, fully compatible with R lenses and of Leica quality. On the the EVF he said that Leica regards the G1 EVF as the very lowest acceptable quality and is aiming to offer something substantially better.

jonoslack

Hi There Jaap
Thank you for that - I'd have loved to have been there.
FF EVF eh! presumably it'll be made by panasonic.
We live in strange times . . . any news on anything else coming up?

jaapv

Subscriber Member
M9 (or M8.3) coming soon, just after the S2 that is on schedule. If 1.3x, M8.3, if FF M9. Solution for the IR filter "possible but difficult" S2 technology for the next M morph. Upgrade program, the current will continue, but no new ones, due to dealer protests

A

andybarton

As I have posted here already, full story as we know it for M and R line is on LUF

woodyspedden

As I have posted here already, full story as we know it for M and R line is on LUF
Come on Andy.........most of us already use both these sites for our daily Leica uptakes. You don't need to try to swing these folks from one to the other. Let us all have fun and use both!

JMHO

Woody Spedden

Godfrey

... Leica will have a FF EVF camera, fully compatible with R lenses and of Leica quality. On the the EVF he said that Leica regards the G1 EVF as the very lowest acceptable quality and is aiming to offer something substantially better.
Sounds quite sensible to me. Dispense with that ancient, noisy, flipping mirror bit and use that superb lenses on a modern camera. The G1 viewfinder already smashes most pro-35mm SLR viewfinders flat when it comes to ease of use, critical focusing, etc, for most purposes. Make something better and get major bonus points.

doug

Leica will have a FF EVF camera, fully compatible with R lenses and of Leica quality. On the the EVF he said that Leica regards the G1 EVF as the very lowest acceptable quality and is aiming to offer something substantially better.
OK maybe I don't need to get a spare DMR.

LCT

Not necessarily if it is a full frame G1 as we can suspect. Better than stop down metering with Canikon?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
What a crap answer for the successor to the DMR. Leica fumbled this one so many times that they couldn t recover. Does any current R user really want an EVF solution? They have world class lenses ..better than any others by a margin...and they can t figure out what many have been saying for years. Do a deal like Zeiss did with Sony and marry the Leica lenses to a decent DSLR made by someone else.

And the transition plan for the M s ...wow ..read the stuff at LUF...probably an improved M8.3 before the M9. Of course that might even make sense . If they improve the ISO performance and have a maybe a slightly larger sensor....it will sell.

You would have to almost try to do a worst job of product planning.

paulmoore

Finally the final word on the future of the R system. I a meeting of the LUF in Hessenpark Stefan Daniel announced this bombshell.
Leica will not attempt to muscle in on the DSLR market, as they see it a a sure way to commit harakiri.
But there is no reason to sell your R lenses (unless, of course, you want to send them to me :D)

In a later conversation I had with Stefan later he outlined Leica's plans with full commitment:
sadly the EFV bar is not set very high..infact the g1 EVF,.. I would consider not acceptable for professional work..or serious amateur shooting..this trade off of lower mechanical functioning and product development costs for the potential gain of what? This at the expense of the "R".. it is a slippery slope we are on and to say again, just produce some new dmr batteries to see me through the waiting game for a small sensor professional camera.

Now that their attention is fixed squarly on the S2, I hope the powers in charge will put it in gear and release a S2 system that is complete enough
to intice commercial shooters to buy into it..a camera + 4 lenses is plenty for what I do, but not what a lot of others shoot with.

If they want some quick action on sales.. how about this offer for the first 1000 pro's willing to pony-up, "buy the whole kit get an extra body". that would kick-start this thing.

There are more than one of us Rollei users that are concerned about the future with franke-heidecke products and a little incentive would go a long way.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me these messages are making clear what I feared all the time in the background - Leica is going down the road and will hit the wall sometimes pretty soon.

Reasons are simple - they messed up their loyal customers so many times that I do not believe someone else except a serious collector would give anything on their messages and communication and future products any longer.

And not sure if you have read on LUF or heard somewhere else or if true - the S2 with lens shall be above €20k which means something like above $20k - man if this is true they will not sell many and this S system will be their next disaster :mad:

I cannot believe a company making so many silly mistakes again and again over years and under different owners, Shows me that they all are not down to earth and having no glue about customer needs, wishes and the market at all.

As a European I am NOT proud any longer that this is a European / German company - sorry to say that.

Godfrey

sadly the EFV bar is not set very high..infact the g1 EVF,.. I would consider not acceptable for professional work..or serious amateur shooting..
That's interesting. I use my G1 for professional shooting and find its excellent EVF allows me to nail critical focus and framing better than my pro-grade SLR bodies. Isn't that what a viewfinder is supposed to do?

Paratom

That's interesting. I use my G1 for professional shooting and find its excellent EVF allows me to nail critical focus and framing better than my pro-grade SLR bodies. Isn't that what a viewfinder is supposed to do?
The problem with the G1 viewfinder for me is that if one uses the magnification one cant compose the imae any more.
If one doesnt use magnigication it works ok. The fact that the g1 is a 4/3-camera helps with its longer DOF compared to full frame.
I dont see how the g1 focuses more accurate than a D3 or D3x so I can not share your theory.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The problem with the G1 viewfinder for me is that if one uses the magnification one cant compose the imae any more.
If one doesnt use magnigication it works ok. The fact that the g1 is a 4/3-camera helps with its longer DOF compared to full frame.
I dont see how the g1 focuses more accurate than a D3 or D3x so I can not share your theory.
I have my G1 set up so that I can compose, press button to start magnification, move cursor to point of focus, press to magnify, focus, press shutter to return to regular magnification and adjust framing. The G1 allows more precise focus than my D700 or Fuji S5. If it had the sensor of the D700, then it would be perfect.

bensonga

No real R10 DSLR? Disappointing, for sure. If true, I guess this really is the end of the line and Leica has made one heck of a stupid decision. Glad I bought the R8 and a few R lenses for their own sake, although it would have been nice to put them on a R series DSLR someday.

Gary
Alaska

paulmoore

I said that wrong godfrey, I should have said for me I find the evf innadequate for professional work, but I have been spoiled by big viewfinders on the older equipment and large pieces of ground glass..I am sure they produce very good results for those like yourself who are use to them and have grown to like them...it is tough to teach old dogs new evf tricks. It is all gets down to what you like to shoot with..and my eyes need as big and bright a viewfinder as possible.. it also seems that I use a small handheld camera in bad lighting conditions and that makes it even worse.