The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Powershot G11 and S90

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Pity about the slow lens, but apart from that, the G11 looks like a very interesting proposition. If the lower MP count has really resulted in better image quality (clean ISO 400 and usable 800), this is a winner. And the articulated LCD is back. Great!

My guess regarding the slower lens is:

- Easier to do with the shorter zoom of the S90
- G11 is partly aimed towards the pro journalist market. Making a faster lens as sharp as the f/2.8 would probably be more difficult, and they would end up with a much larger lens.

R

Ranger 9

Pity about the slow lens
That problem will be solved on Sept. 9 when the same camera comes out with an f/2-2.4 lens, a red dot, and "Leica M9" engraved on the top.

Oh, yeah, and a 10x higher price tag.

[Couldn't resist trying to dump a little gasoline on the rumor flames...]

Clawery

Here is another leak that I found about the G11:

Canon swaps the G10’s 14.7mpx sensor for a 10mpx CCD for improved quality and low light performance. And, yes!, the flip out screen which we last saw on the G6 is now back.

Canon PowerShot G11 Digital Camera
The PowerShot G-series has long been the flagship of the PowerShot line. The new Canon PowerShot G11 Digital Camera further adds to the legacy of this award-winning series with its advanced features, variety of shooting modes and compatible EOS accessories which help to enhance one’s photographic creativity. Designed for those looking for a pocket-sized camera with SLR functionality, this new powerful camera is ideal for the consumer who is looking to capture beautiful landscapes and professional portraits by offering:
• A 10.0-Megapixel High Sensitivity System to capture images with a powerful 5x Optical Zoom lens with Optical Image Stabilization. Additionally, a 28mm (equivalent to 28-140 mm) wide-angle lens helps to get large groups into one shot at events such as a family reunion.
• A 2.8-inch vari-angle PureColor System LCD, new to the G-series, allowing for easier on-camera previewing and reviewing of images from nearly every angle, while still incorporating the optical viewfinder found on previous models.
• Easy access to heavily used functions with two mode dials for adjusting ISO and exposure compensation, and a full range of shooting and recording modes, including RAW + JPEG for ultimate creative control when editing images.
• A host of optional accessories, including Speedlite flashes, an underwater housing and a tele-converter lens to provide further photographic flexibility.

Scheduled to be available in October, the PowerShot G11 Digital Camera retails for an estimated price of $499.99.

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

RSS Feed: Subscribe[/font]

MHC

For S90, it's quite disappointed that the macro is only 5cm. And the movie mode is still 640x480.

V

VladimirV

I fail to see the attraction of the G7-11 cameras, I mean they have a long zoom and look quite nice but are huge for small sensor cameras, mostly this is due to the completely pointless and useless OVF on there. At that size I'd take a EP1 or the upcoming GF1 anytime over it. A LX3, GX200 or now the S90 are smaller and much better if someone needs a zoom.
The older G cameras at least has a very fast lens but a f2.8 lens is hardly exciting even if it zooms to 140mm, might as well get a TZ4 which goes from 24-280mm and have a smaller camera with better zoom.

I like the S90 though, the lens ring sounds great and I like that they have copied the step zoom from the Ricoh cameras, shame it is designed like a soapbox without any handgrip.

Lili

The G11 may be big, but in regards to the Panny GF or the Oly EP-1, once one adds a lens of similar range both are going to be much more bulky. Honestly I think there is room in the market for both. The G10 got tremendously high scores for its lens. The overpacked sensor let it down in some situations. In Fact DPR speculated how good it might have been with the LX3 sensor behind this awesome lens.
Looks like Canon listened!
Both camera are of great interest to me, I LOVE that manual ring on the S90.
And I DO feel the G11 may be a winner here; at far less cost that the elusive LX3K!

V

VladimirV

Lili, I am surprised to hear that the G10 got high marks for it's lens. While it is probably better than the fish-eye LX3 lens, I did see quite a high ammount of fringing and soft corners in pictures people posted from it and it seems to lack contrast.
You are right taht there is room for both but to me if a small sensor camera is not compact to fit in a jacket pocket and you have to carry a bag for it, you might as well get the real thing and go for a better camera with larger sensor.

Lili

Yes, I had forgotten the CA at the wide end. I was basically recalling the very very high resolution the camera prodcued for DPR. "At base ISO and in high contrast conditions, this is the highest resolving compact we have ever tested".
But I do agree, I went with my Oly e410 and the 25mm pancake over the G10; it is a touch bigger and heavier with but one focal length. But it is far faster in operation and has a much better OVF ;)
BTW I am on a new project; e410 and Pancake lens only for an indefinite period.
And the DP-1 is dropping in price even more; should it reach my trigger-point...
ALso, that S90 does look yummy too...fast lens, tiny size, OIS, Canon LCD...oh my!!!

Last edited:

Lars

G11 seems like a bit of a milestone among digicams, in that Canon actually chose to reduce pixel count. Is the megapixel race now officially over for compacts?

Press release claims 2 stops improvement over G10... this sounds promising. Not too many weak spots left, if it does indeed deliver on raw IQ. Oh... the optical finder, did they fix it so it's usable? I feel that optical finder is a must, due to my limited close-range eyesight.

Last edited:

davemillier

I have the G7 and I find the viewfinder weak but a lot better than nothing. I wouldn't buy a camera without a eyelevel viewfinder. It is also much smaller than something like an Ep1. With the lens retracted it is a smooth rectangular brick than can easily fit in a pocket. The EP1 whilst stylish, is basically a slimmer version of the e410/430 body without the flash bump. With a zoom mounted it is more SLR than compact.

Lili, I am surprised to hear that the G10 got high marks for it's lens. While it is probably better than the fish-eye LX3 lens, I did see quite a high ammount of fringing and soft corners in pictures people posted from it and it seems to lack contrast.
You are right taht there is room for both but to me if a small sensor camera is not compact to fit in a jacket pocket and you have to carry a bag for it, you might as well get the real thing and go for a better camera with larger sensor.

davemillier

The DP1 will make the Canon G cameras seem like a D3.

With my Sandisk extreme card, it takes around 7 secs after shooting a pic before the camera will respond to the controls again. Perhaps not an issue for those used to big medium format film cameras but when you are waiting to check the histogram it seems an eternity ;-)

Yes, I had forgotten the CA at the wide end. I was basically recalling the very very high resolution the camera prodcued for DPR. "At base ISO and in high contrast conditions, this is the highest resolving compact we have ever tested".
But I do agree, I went with my Oly e410 and the 25mm pancake over the G10; it is a touch bigger and heavier with but one focal length. But it is far faster in operation and has a much better OVF ;)
BTW I am on a new project; e410 and Pancake lens only for an indefinite period.
And the DP-1 is dropping in price even more; should it reach my trigger-point...
ALso, that S90 does look yummy too...fast lens, tiny size, OIS, Canon LCD...oh my!!!

Lars

The DP1 will make the Canon G cameras seem like a D3.

With my Sandisk extreme card, it takes around 7 secs after shooting a pic before the camera will respond to the controls again. Perhaps not an issue for those used to big medium format film cameras but when you are waiting to check the histogram it seems an eternity ;-)
As far as I recall the G9 I owned for a while last year was much more responsive. We'll know about the G11 speed when the reviews hit.

Braeside

I am keeping my eye on how the G11 works out. I had thought about an EP-1 or the rumoured GF1, but I doubt either will be supported by Aperture and the G11 surely will (eventually). It ticks the boxes for me, 2.8 Zoom, OVF, flash, OIS, 10Mp, articulated LCD, built-in ND filter - I don't care about video they could remove it altogether.

Quentin_Bargate

With a recommended retail price of $499 in the US, but an incredible £569 in the UK (equivalent to about $940) - meaning we in the UK will be paying nearly double the US price (only a small proportion of which is likely to be duty/tax), I have to assume the UK version comes encrusted with precious jewels, but oddly there is no mention of what kind in the press release.

So, no thanks, Canon can stuff their G10 :angry:

Quentin

Braeside

Quentin that puts a different complexion on it for me also. Hmmm I may import one or wait until the street price becomes sensible.

I note the current G10 RRP is also £569 and street price is about £345.

Last edited: