The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Field Report on GH1 + Stills Gallery

simonclivehughes

I've posted my field report on using the GH1 for shooting HD video (and some stills) from a week on WA's Olympic Peninsula. The GH1 is certainly a very versatile tool for video as long as you operate it in a methodical manner, which can be quite different than shooting stills.

The blog article can be found here:

http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Blog/Entries/2009/8/29_Field_Report_of_the_Panasonic_GH1.html

A stills gallery here:

http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Whats_New.html

I am still cutting the video footage and will post a link to the finished project when complete.

Cheers,

Diane B

Thanks Simon. Off to read your blog and looking forward to your video footage. The GH1 is still on my list--but waiting to see what the GF1 brings us.

simonclivehughes

You are most welcome Diane, I hope that the article is useful to those interested in using the GH1 for video. My gut feel is that the GF1 (if indeed it is real) will be less of a video implementation than the GH1.

Cheers,

Diane B

You are most welcome Diane, I hope that the article is useful to those interested in using the GH1 for video. My gut feel is that the GF1 (if indeed it is real) will be less of a video implementation than the GH1.

Cheers,
I think so also, so I'm really interested in others experiences with their GH1.

Yes, I did find the article quite useful. I couldn't get a link to the loupe, but will go back again and google for it.

Diane

pellicle

nice review

seems that live on the bleeding edge of video is as annoying as I expcted it to be. Being a bit of a laggard myself I'll be keen to read and learn from the efforts of others who blaze the trails

<hat off>

thanks

simonclivehughes

Thanks for your kind words. I'm much more a stills guy then a video guy, but with the GH1, the ability to do fairly cinematic work is truly a reality. You're very right about the bleeding edge, however. It's not just the capture that takes thought and effort, but the post processing too! I'm still working on that part. :)

Ciao,

slau

There are so much to learn about the GH1 video side but it has been mostly fun (a lot of frustration too).

Thank you Simon for posting your user experience which may be helpful to new GH1 users like me and when I get into trouble in the same area. I just had my GH1 for a few days (had to wait for 3 weeks to replacement my first faulty GH1) and have used it only once in real world shooting (mostly video too). I have done some video (mini DV editing) before but all the 1080P, 720P, H264, AVCHD, etc are new to me. Have been doing lots of reading regarding the GH1 video, mostly over at the other forum (DVXuser.com).

Btw, I have used the EOS adapter from RJ with my Canon 70-200f2.8IS and Planar 50f1.4 (C/Y to EOS) on my GH1. The video clips are amazing. I am currently trying the Cineform NeoScene (7 day trial) to convert the .MTS files to .MOV before dropping the clips to either iMovie 08 or FCE 4. Still haven't produced my first simple edited file yet.

simonclivehughes

Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback, glad it was a useful read. Are you using Snow Leopard? I'm trying to get a feel for whether Neoscene works under SL yet. I'm trying to figure out what to use to transcode for an older version of FCP (5.1.4), so I've been asking about SL compatibility (over on dvxuser too).

The files come into iMovie '09 well enough, it's just that with FCP (even an older version), I'd rather edit there.

Cheers,

slau

Simon,
I have decided not to update to Snow Leopard immediately. My one year old Mac Pro is running very nicely and I do not want to screw it up. Plus. if you go to the Apple Forum regarding Snow Leopard, like every new OS, there are certainly a lot of problem for users, whether it is user error or not.

The NeoScene worked pretty smoothly for me so far. The only concern I have is regarding the CineForm codec installed, which may create some compatibility problem with other programs or users. But, I am just being too cautious from being too ignorant. I think I may eventually buy the Neoscene.

I will keep my eyes open for the development of SL in the Apple Forum.

barjohn

I upgraded my four Macs this weekend. One Powerbook, one Macbook Air, a 20"iMac and a 24" iMac and they are all working very well. It improved the performance of each of them and really freed up a lot of space. This was especially critical on the Macbook Air as with the 60GB SSD drive I was almost out of space.

I have tried LR 2.4, BB PRO 5 Beta, C1 and Aperture 2.1.4. LR works fine except for 100% images when moved around create frozen sections. BB PRO 5 and C1 haven't shown any issues. Aperture crashed on import several times. I uninstalled it and that reduced the crashing but it still doesn't work properly. It does not import JPGs and only imports some DNGs. It does not appear to work properly but some may be due to my lack of knowledge with the application. iPhoto 9 also failed to import JPGs so there is some other issue at work here.