The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New Buy/Sell section

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I caught that. My question is more for planning purposes next year. How much will this "modest charge" be and is there a sliding scale or one size fits all.
Don,
We don't think we will charge you more than everyone else.
:eek:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Pricing:
Two week listings will be $2.50
Four week listings will be $3.50
Listings will be renewable at the end of their term (and will bump).
Effective date: January 1, 2014.
We hope that folks accept these prices cheerfully and consider them a just fee designed to offset the costs of maintaining the site.
Thanks
Jack, Andy, and Bob

V

Vivek

Beware Classifieds users...
From time to time folks have been PMed or have received emails with roughly the following content:
Good day....still in interested in buying this items..and i have itfor sale contact me for pic and details.....Thanks
Best regard
Spain
i will need Your email address for pic and details or contact me Via [email protected] for pic and details...
I got one from "Spain" as well.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I got one from "Spain" as well.
The message makes no sense to me.
Why would somebody want to sell the same item to a seller?
nonetheless, feel free to let mods know about similar activity.
We do our best to keep out the scoundrels.
-bob

Ben Rubinstein

I just placed an ad, it only allows amounts in dollars. Any way we can add an option for pounds or Euro or yen or whatever for non US sales? So far I put a bit in the description to state that the amount is in pounds not dollars as shown.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ben
Multicurrency support is on my wish-list. For now what you did is the best solution.
-bob

tjv

I'm not keen on the fact you can't see if the seller is a senior member or not. I'd like to be able to see how active they are in the forum community, as it's vital in knowing how much trust that member has.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not keen on the fact you can't see if the seller is a senior member or not. I'd like to be able to see how active they are in the forum community, as it's vital in knowing how much trust that member has.
Yup,
on my to-do list.
-bob

strok

just curious if the traffic for your website is down after you have changed the BUY/SELL section. The section is UNUSABLE (at list for me anymore).
You may generate few dollars before loosing 50% of posts and 25% of users.
This is one of the reasons why I have moved away from friendmiranda.com.
Happy new year, and good luck with your new section.

stephengilbert

If the 50% of posts and 25% of users means the posts and users whose only presence here was to sell stuff, it won't be that big a loss. I don't know that the new format is as good as the old, but the charging of fees isn't the problem.

strok

If the 50% of posts and 25% of users means the posts and users whose only presence here was to sell stuff, it won't be that big a loss. I don't know that the new format is as good as the old, but the charging of fees isn't the problem.
as I have mentioned above:
Getdpi.com Site Info
The only number goes up is a BOUNCE RATE. which is not a good thing.
Stephen, you will be surprised how everything is connected.
I used to own large community websites (much larger then getdpi.com) and I can tell you from experience, I have seen large websites going under water just by making one strategic mistake.
People have options now.
And most of the time they don't come back.
I hope this is not the case....

kdphotography

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I have to say I like the old Buy & Sell format better than the current one. I think the older format had a more social nature more conducive to gear sluts, and in general, to the GetDPI family. :D

I agree with Steve; I don't think charging fees is a problem, and doubt that many here would mind chipping in a few coins into the can to use the B&S forum.

ken

D

Deleted member 7792

+1

Thanks for saying what I was thinking, Ken. I much prefer the old B&S format over the new one and would pay a fee to use it. The new format is a turnoff, IMHO.

Joe

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
+1 too.

I think that part of the issue is that the B&S section is walled off and so it doesn't naturally form part of the rest of the forum and hence isn't visited as much. I liked being able to see within the forum format what was up for sale very easily. I very rarely bother now and actually prefer the LuLa site where there seems to be more traffic and activity.