The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

Godfrey

.. The X100 and X2 are bigger than the T3 and not truly pocketable as the T3 and Ricoh GR are. ..
I don't know about the X100, but the X2 slips nicely into my pants pocket without a problem and fits in my jacket pocket easily. What distinguishes "truly pocketable" from "pocketable"?

... What distinguishes "truly pocketable" from "pocketable"?
Heheh, that's easy, the size of your pockets.

I've spent a few weeks with the X1 and did a review of it for Robert (Monza) when he was at Precision. I find it to be much too big for my pockets compared to the T3 and the pocket champ - Ricoh GR.

http://blog.precision-camera.com/2010/06/leica-x1-–-back-to-the-future.html

IQ wise, the X1 and X100 are definitely closest to the T3, with the RX100 not far behind. I'm sure in some scenes and settings the output would be nearly indistinguishable between all of them.

Good stuff.

monza

The RX is 70% of the X2 in the critical 'thickness' dimension, so it's compatible with a greater number of pockets. :) The X2 is really in a different market however.

That "critical thickness" category is where the Ricoh shines. I hope that they stick a bigger sensor in the next GRD.

But back to the RX, it really is a killer little cam isn't it!? Did you get yours yet Robert? I've decided to keep mine in the rotation.

monza

No mine has not yet arrived...really looking forward to it. Planning to just tweak settings for JPG and not mess with shooting raw...

retow

Sorry, no pets or flowers: From last weekends eventful road trip with hail storm, adventorous mountain roads and a car accident (not mine).

Last edited:

Godfrey

The RX is 70% of the X2 in the critical 'thickness' dimension, so it's compatible with a greater number of pockets. :) The X2 is really in a different market however. ...
the X2 is just slightly thicker than my Rollei 35S (about 5mm) as I carry them, and a bit longer. Smaller than the 35S doesn't appeal to me as I can't hold the camera steadily enough. (The iPhone is a PITA to hold still, but I wouldn't want my phone to be much bigger.)

I do agree that the X2 is a different class of camera. Big sensor, trim body, pocketable when needed .. Works well for me.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The RX is 70% of the X2 in the critical 'thickness' dimension, so it's compatible with a greater number of pockets. :) The X2 is really in a different market however.

Sometimes too small is also not good! Too small for my hands giving me no real grip on the camera! Similar actually to the XZ-1 which is a great camera, but I seldom use it because it is far to fiddly to handle for me.

jonoslack

Heheh, that's easy, the size of your pockets.

I've spent a few weeks with the X1 and did a review of it for Robert (Monza) when he was at Precision. I find it to be much too big for my pockets compared to the T3 and the pocket champ - Ricoh GR.

http://blog.precision-camera.com/2010/06/leica-x1-–-back-to-the-future.html

IQ wise, the X1 and X100 are definitely closest to the T3, with the RX100 not far behind. I'm sure in some scenes and settings the output would be nearly indistinguishable between all of them.

Good stuff.
Hi There - Why don't you pop the RX100 in to the group and do that interesting size comparison again?

all the best

Hi There - Why don't you pop the RX100 in to the group and do that interesting size comparison again?

all the best
Jono,

Would love to but I don't have the X1 anymore. I will see if I can get ahold of one. At the least, I'll put a shot together with the RX and a T3, a GR1 and maybe an Olympus XA for kicks.

Best,
Chad

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

I just bought one of these miniature cameras-seems good fun to me.

A little more difficult than my P&S LX3- I'm having to learn to focus!:wtf:

It is operable with 1 hand-with the wrist strap I never feel as if I'm about to drop it.

Results not too bad so far-shooting Jpeg.

All these just tickled a bit in iPhoto.

A ceiling, 2 artworks, and a radiator at the Royal West Academy in Bristol + a couple in a shop and a Bar.

Would appreciate a bit of feedback to persuade me to keep this camera.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
.. a couple HDR'd in camera, a couple of watercolours, and a bonus miniature'd in camera.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited: