The GetDPI Photography Forums  
   
 

Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Forum > Sony


Site Sponsors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2011   #1
Senior Member
 
dhsimmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 801
Images: 18
New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

The latest firmware upgrade version 1.04 is now available officially from Sony Asia Pacific. I have downloaded firmware in the past for my A900 from this source so I can vouch for it's authenticity. It's just that they always get it before the UK or US!

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/slt-a77v

The new firmware expands the number of lenses that permit use of fine focus adjustments (including the Vario-Sonnar T 16-80) and a few other nice goodies!

Just click on downloads and follow the instructions for your computer platform.
__________________
Cheers, Dave
www.simmondsphotography.com
dhsimmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #2
Member
 
Matix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 141
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Update went smooth, followed instructions to the letter including the Reset and OK after using the Safely Remove on task bar.

Surprise!! I did not lose any settings and update to 1.04 was relatively quick.

Ok, what is different...IMHO, 3,500 shots with the A77 so far.

- Responsive, Control Wheels similar to D7000, noticeably better.
- Much faster startup ~1 second.
- Shut down, no change noticed.
- Change from EVF to LCD, much better, no delay noticeable.
- JPG's, to my eye they 6400 ISO seems what the 3200 ISO was
before the update.
- RAW In my opinion, using Capture One 6, acceptable at 6400 ISO, really
good at 3200. I am happy with the quality of the images now.

I see a substantial improvement, printed copy is good, looks good on screen, camera feels more alive.

We are off to the UK for 6 weeks next week, I feel much more confident now... really looking forward to the trip, the low light in winter was a nagging unknown.


Phil
__________________
These Photographers are Crazy!
Panasonic Lumix LX7, Olympus E-M1, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
Gallery: http://matix.zenfolio.com
Matix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #3
Super Moderator & Instructor
 
Guy Mancuso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 20,802
Images: 1767
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Well this sounds like a nice update. Will do later today after gig this morning
__________________
Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
Guy Mancuso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #4
Senior Member
 
thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,009
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

I'll try the equivalent update on 'my' A65
__________________
AEOS Photography BLOG
thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #5
Senior Member
 
dhsimmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 801
Images: 18
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Phil

It is a very smooth process and takes no longer really than the "moving the file from the computer to card to camera" system used in earlier Sony cameras and most others too.

I agree with your findings, the whole camera is just a bit more responsive and cleaner images at higher ISO's. I thought that the high ISO stuff was OK before but I can see a marked difference since the update.

Enjoy the UK, where will you be visiting? I guess it is a family visit as six weeks takes you over the Christmas period. Have a great time
__________________
Cheers, Dave
www.simmondsphotography.com
dhsimmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #6
Super Duper
Senior Member
 
jonoslack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
Posts: 10,979
Images: 1
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Hi There
Well - Silas and I both have A77s - we upgraded one of them, and then did some response/on-off/lcd to viewfinder/high ISO checks. They weren't very thorough, but we couldn't discern any differences anywhere. . . . having said that I didn't think there was much of a problem before!

I'm sure they did something though
__________________

Just this guy you know
jonoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #7
Senior Member
 
dhsimmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 801
Images: 18
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Jono

Were you upgrading from 1.02 or 1.03?

I ask because I thought that you were using 1.02 and were very satisfied with that firmware.

Some users are reporting improvements to colours using AWB. I didn't see any differences in colours but then I rarely if ever use AWB!
__________________
Cheers, Dave
www.simmondsphotography.com
dhsimmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #8
Super Duper
Senior Member
 
jonoslack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
Posts: 10,979
Images: 1
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
Jono

Were you upgrading from 1.02 or 1.03?

I ask because I thought that you were using 1.02 and were very satisfied with that firmware.

Some users are reporting improvements to colours using AWB. I didn't see any differences in colours but then I rarely if ever use AWB!
Hi There 1.03 - not 1.02
Every time there's an update to any camera - there's a raft of people making extravagant claims for it - talk to any camera manufacturer, and they'll laugh like a drain. Still, if it makes people happy . . . and I was happy anyway :-)

all the best
__________________

Just this guy you know
jonoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #9
Member
 
Matix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 141
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
Phil

It is a very smooth process and takes no longer really than the "moving the file from the computer to card to camera" system used in earlier Sony cameras and most others too.

I agree with your findings, the whole camera is just a bit more responsive and cleaner images at higher ISO's. I thought that the high ISO stuff was OK before but I can see a marked difference since the update.

Enjoy the UK, where will you be visiting? I guess it is a family visit as six weeks takes you over the Christmas period. Have a great time
Thanks Dave, we will be based with daughter's family in Southampton, have a car to use so mobile, lots to see and do I guess. If you are in the area would be good to catch up for a shoot.

It is interesting the feedback on the 1.04 FW, hard to quantify each point but I found that startup was faster as I had been annoyed before, maybe just a little faster but less annoying? I had been on 1.03 BTW.

The shutter/aperture with the rear wheel was a big difference to me, maybe some do not see it but I use that quite a lot and while it is not immediate I have no interest in measuring it.

If it feels better to me that is all the measurement I need, sorry if others see nothing, maybe I am a born optimist?

As for the noise issue at higher ISO, I rarely use over 1600, had tried 6400 before and it was horrible, tried it after the 1.04 update and to me it was improved, by what margin.. who cares, it looked better, I took some shots in the house with bad light and a 18-270mm Tamron PZD, not a fast lens at all and with a little tweaking they looked good.

Not as good as the D7000 I had prior to the A77, but the high ISO on that camera was excellent if you want to shoot in the dark, I do not.

Phil
__________________
These Photographers are Crazy!
Panasonic Lumix LX7, Olympus E-M1, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
Gallery: http://matix.zenfolio.com
Matix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #10
Super Duper
Senior Member
 
jonoslack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
Posts: 10,979
Images: 1
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Hi Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matix View Post
If it feels better to me that is all the measurement I need, sorry if others see nothing, maybe I am a born optimist?
Hi Phil - don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining, and I wasn't complaining before - it was just that the basic operation tests, we compared two cameras, one with 1.03, and one with 1.04 . . . and we couldn't discern any difference at all. . . . . I thought the 1.03 update sped it up enough anyway. (I did think the LCD to eye was a bit slow with 1.02, and it could maybe be faster than it is now), but I'm pretty sure that there's no difference between 1.03 and 1.04 - and that isn't based on perception after the update, it's based on sitting two cameras down together and comparing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matix View Post
As for the noise issue at higher ISO, I rarely use over 1600, had tried 6400 before and it was horrible, tried it after the 1.04 update and to me it was improved, by what margin.. who cares, it looked better, I took some shots in the house with bad light and a 18-270mm Tamron PZD, not a fast lens at all and with a little tweaking they looked good.

Not as good as the D7000 I had prior to the A77, but the high ISO on that camera was excellent if you want to shoot in the dark, I do not.

Phil
I can't vouch for the high ISO noise - our comparisons weren't very scientific, so it might easily have improved - still, I didn't really have a complaint before.

The fact that I'm not convinced by some of the claims made for the update doesn't distract from the fact that I think the A77 a complete winner.

Have a great holiday in Southampton . . . . I lived nearby in Gosport when I was a student.

all the best
__________________

Just this guy you know
jonoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #11
Senior Member
 
nostatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: socal
Posts: 998
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

One thing to note for Mac users - the update app will not work if you're running in 64 bit mode (which newer machines/OS do by default. You can check what kernal you're using with the system profiler, and you can boot into 32 bit mode by holding down the 3 and 2 key while restarting (must use a physically connected keyboard - BT won't work). I had no problem with the a77 at work. The a65 (first shot at it last night) gave me errors and I have yet to get it to work with my laptop. Will try again shortly and make sure that I'm in fact in 32 bit mode.
__________________
new album | nostatic | music
nostatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011   #12
Member
 
Matix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 141
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
Hi Phil

Hi Phil - don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining, and I wasn't complaining before - it was just that the basic operation tests, we compared two cameras, one with 1.03, and one with 1.04 . . . and we couldn't discern any difference at all. . . . . it's based on sitting two cameras down together and comparing.

I can't vouch for the high ISO noise - our comparisons weren't very scientific, so it might easily have improved - still, I didn't really have a complaint before.

The fact that I'm not convinced by some of the claims made for the update doesn't distract from the fact that I think the A77 a complete winner.

Have a great holiday in Southampton . . . . I lived nearby in Gosport when I was a student.

all the best
No problem Jono, my comments were not directed to you particularly, just that there is such a wide range of comments and analysis of results being discussed. I agree, I am happy even if there was no change... the A77 ticks a lot of boxes for me, very happy with it.

Phil
__________________
These Photographers are Crazy!
Panasonic Lumix LX7, Olympus E-M1, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
Gallery: http://matix.zenfolio.com
Matix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011   #13
Senior Member
 
dhsimmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 801
Images: 18
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Hi Phil

I live just 7 miles from Southampton, so it is no problem for me to meet up. I will send you a PM today with further contact details!

Yes, very interesting to learn of other folks experiences when updates are discussed. Not so much with this one but the last update to the A900 made a dramatic difference to focusing speed, particularly with long telephoto lenses which I tend to use mostly these days.

Winchester (the old capital of England) makes a good photogenic day out if the weather is good and it's just 12 miles north of Southampton. It is very colourful at this time of the year with it's Christmas market and open air skating rink in the grounds of Winchester Cathedral. Southampton also has a Christmas market and a covered skating rink at the old Bargate.

I am assisting the organiser for next year's Leica Fellowship meeting which is to be held in south Hampshire and Winchester will definitely be on the agenda for photo opportunities for that meeting.
__________________
Cheers, Dave
www.simmondsphotography.com
dhsimmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011   #14
Member
 
Matix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 141
Re: New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
Hi Phil

I live just 7 miles from Southampton, so it is no problem for me to meet up. I will send you a PM today with further contact details!

Yes, very interesting to learn of other folks experiences when updates are discussed. Not so much with this one but the last update to the A900 made a dramatic difference to focusing speed, particularly with long telephoto lenses which I tend to use mostly these days.

Winchester (the old capital of England) makes a good photogenic day out if the weather is good and it's just 12 miles north of Southampton. It is very colourful at this time of the year with it's Christmas market and open air skating rink in the grounds of Winchester Cathedral. Southampton also has a Christmas market and a covered skating rink at the old Bargate.

I am assisting the organiser for next year's Leica Fellowship meeting which is to be held in south Hampshire and Winchester will definitely be on the agenda for photo opportunities for that meeting.
Terrific Dave, look forward to it.

Phil
__________________
These Photographers are Crazy!
Panasonic Lumix LX7, Olympus E-M1, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
Gallery: http://matix.zenfolio.com
Matix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2014, GetDPI.comAd Management plugin by RedTyger