The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

jonoslack

Brighter weather here too . . .
apologies if you've seen these in the other thread . . . I was pleased with them!

both with the Zeiss in question
self portrait:

I must ask emma what these scallop shells are doing on the garden table:

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Jono, great natural light shots (by the way we still have your picture of the flowers hanging on our wall at home...). I momentarily thought the first one was Emma....

When did you get the Zeiss? Its not perfect - a tad too much CA on specular highlights and back-lit objects for my liking - but it is the best lens I have so far used on the Nex-7.

Cheers
Quentin

jonoslack

Hi Jono, great natural light shots (by the way we still have your picture of the flowers hanging on our wall at home...). I momentarily thought the first one was Emma....

When did you get the Zeiss? Its not perfect - a tad too much CA on specular highlights and back-lit objects for my liking - but it is the best lens I have so far used on the Nex-7.

Cheers
Quentin
Thanks Q - I'd forgotten about the flowers!
As for the lens - it works well for me - I've not found CA to be enough of an issue to need any corrections, but it's easy enough if necessary. It's nice and sharp though - right to the corners - and I like the 'look' of it - it's also got pretty good bokeh for this wide a lens.

all the best

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks Q - I'd forgotten about the flowers!
As for the lens - it works well for me - I've not found CA to be enough of an issue to need any corrections, but it's easy enough if necessary. It's nice and sharp though - right to the corners - and I like the 'look' of it - it's also got pretty good bokeh for this wide a lens.

all the best
From the sublime to the ...less sublime, I look forward to receiving the Tamron 18-200mm. I have tried the 70-300mm G A-Mount lens successfully with the Sony smaller adapter on the Nex-7 and 5n and it works fine, with autofocus (as it is an SSM lens) but its too heavy and no VR. If the quality is up to standard I would have a great travel kit along with the Zeiss and the 16mm pancake.

Q

dhsimmonds

From the sublime to the ...less sublime, I look forward to receiving the Tamron 18-200mm. I have tried the 70-300mm G A-Mount lens successfully with the Sony smaller adapter on the Nex-7 and 5n and it works fine, with autofocus (as it is an SSM lens) but its too heavy and no VR. If the quality is up to standard I would have a great travel kit along with the Zeiss and the 16mm pancake.

Q
Hi Quentin

As a matter of interest, I use the 200-500 Tamron full frame lens and rate it highly even against the 70-400G which I also use. Like all lens ranges there are probably "dogs" (no offence to the 4 legged types folk) but they do have some nice lenses which I always considered sit nicely on the Sony Alpha 900 body. Then Phil from Australia who also posts here, visited me at home whilst on vacation over the christmas holidays and informed me that Tamron are 50% owned by Sony!

V

Vivek

After checking out the Nex-7 attached to a Leica lens carrier (I happened to have one), I pulled the plug on the "One user" battery grip. I am hoping it will work out.

V

Vivek

What was the aperture for the salt shaker shot, Quentin?

They are all wicked sharp and with nice tones!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Couple of captures from the recent trip....of course not sharp!

Highway One Beach

Fishermen

Flagstaff Sunrise

Bob

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek

F3/5 and ISO 400. Decent semi-macro capability.
Thanks, Quentin.:) One reason I asked for that was, in the OOF heptagonal highlight (even at this size), I can see vestiges of diffraction. I am still trying to understand this better. Your aperture data (effective would be ~f/4 to f/6.3 at this magnification) fits with it.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Quentin and Vivek,

Thanks these were pp as a second pass...raws did not stand out at first to me.

Quentin, take a look at this site...it imparts such a sense of solitude, power and peacefulness. And the photographer has a sublime sense for development.

http://www.vanlieuphotography.com/

Does not use a NEX 7, as far as I know.

Bob

Quentin_Bargate

Love the link, Bob. Superb work there.

Clearly they must buy a NEX-7 :D

Another shot with the Zeiss 24mm, taken at the London Boat Show, which I think shows, even at this reduced size, how sharp it is.