The GetDPI Photography Forums  
   
 

Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Forum > Sony


Site Sponsors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2012   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 214
Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

Anything out there that will protect the camera with the EVF attached but isn't too bulky. Thanks in advance for any tips,

Regards,
John
jfirneno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012   #2
hot
Senior Member
 
hot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,705
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

Take your camera, go to next supermarket ... and buy a bag.
Asking 1000 people in internet is like: "should I drink my tea with sugar or without sugar"
hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 214
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot View Post
Take your camera, go to next supermarket ... and buy a bag.
Asking 1000 people in internet is like: "should I drink my tea with sugar or without sugar"
Thank you for your insight.

Okay, if anyone has any actual options they've located I'd be interested. Pictures obviously encouraged.

Regards,
John
jfirneno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

I'm using the Op/Tech Digital D Soft Pouch.

OP/TECH USA Digital D Soft Pouch, Offset (Black) 7401034 B&H

I bought it before I got the EVF and it was slightly large, with the EVF it's slightly small. I have to stretch the neoprene a bit to close both the snaps that hold it closed. It's lightweight, protective and I can easily crumple it up and jam it into a pocket when I want it out of the way.
AnselAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 214
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnselAndy View Post
I'm using the Op/Tech Digital D Soft Pouch.

OP/TECH USA Digital D Soft Pouch, Offset (Black) 7401034 B&H

I bought it before I got the EVF and it was slightly large, with the EVF it's slightly small. I have to stretch the neoprene a bit to close both the snaps that hold it closed. It's lightweight, protective and I can easily crumple it up and jam it into a pocket when I want it out of the way.
Andy:
Thanks very much for your suggestion. Does the tight fit put any stress on the EVF? I worry about that item being damaged.

Thanks
John
jfirneno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #6
Senior Member
 
douglasf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
Posts: 1,964
Images: 1
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot View Post
Take your camera, go to next supermarket ... and buy a bag.
Asking 1000 people in internet is like: "should I drink my tea with sugar or without sugar"
That's funny, because I find most opinions on this forum very helpful, but I don't recall a single post from you being usefull. Go figure...
__________________
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #7
Senior Member
 
douglasf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
Posts: 1,964
Images: 1
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnselAndy View Post
I'm using the Op/Tech Digital D Soft Pouch.

OP/TECH USA Digital D Soft Pouch, Offset (Black) 7401034 B&H

I bought it before I got the EVF and it was slightly large, with the EVF it's slightly small. I have to stretch the neoprene a bit to close both the snaps that hold it closed. It's lightweight, protective and I can easily crumple it up and jam it into a pocket when I want it out of the way.
Cool. Haven't seen that one. Ordered.
__________________
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
Andy:
Thanks very much for your suggestion. Does the tight fit put any stress on the EVF? I worry about that item being damaged.

Thanks
John
You're welcome! I was a little worried about the tight fit putting stress on the EVF since it is quite a pricey item and I am always very careful with my gear. But the pressure applied by the stretched neoprene is pretty nominal. I've used the case a couple of months - and about 20 miles of hiking and 4000 miles of driving - no ill effects at all.

BTW I keep the lens hood on the kit lens the "right" way. If you are worried about it, you can reverse the lens hood, which takes less room in the case, and then there's practically no pressure on the EVF.

AA
AnselAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 214
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnselAndy View Post
You're welcome! I was a little worried about the tight fit putting stress on the EVF since it is quite a pricey item and I am always very careful with my gear. But the pressure applied by the stretched neoprene is pretty nominal. I've used the case a couple of months - and about 20 miles of hiking and 4000 miles of driving - no ill effects at all.

BTW I keep the lens hood on the kit lens the "right" way. If you are worried about it, you can reverse the lens hood, which takes less room in the case, and then there's practically no pressure on the EVF.

AA
Thanks, Andy. I'll look into that one.

Regards,
John
jfirneno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012   #10
Senior Member
 
douglasf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
Posts: 1,964
Images: 1
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

I just received this little case. Since I use rangefinder lenses, there is some slack in there, but that is ok, because I can still snap it closed with my EVF and a leather half case attached to my 5N. I've been looking for something like this for those times where I don't bring a bag, and this seems to be a great little option. Thanks for the recommendation!
__________________
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 214
Re: Small case for 5N with the EVF attached

Well guys, I got my case in the mail today. It's just what the doctor ordered. It's snug over the EVF but I believe it's fine. It's an excellent size. I leave the strap external and hang it at my side and it has just enough padding to protect it. Thanks for the excellent suggestion Andy.

Regards
John
jfirneno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2014, GetDPI.comAd Management plugin by RedTyger