The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony E Primes for NEX

V

Vivek

There are some striking similarities between the Sony E primes (with the exception of the 16/2.8).

The three prime lenses from Sony, 24/1.8, 30/3.5 and the 50/1.8 are about the same size, physically.

All are IF (internal focus) construction with a large rear element.

None are affected much when Macro diopter lens such as the Canon 500D/250D or a Leitz Macrotar are added to the front (though infinity focus is lost).

All have decent resolving ability on a NEX-7.

I hope there will be more Sony E primes soon, hopefully with built in OSS like the 50/1.8.

V

Vivek

Though it looks like "metal", it is actually plastic and is paintable. The key is to know how to do it and with the appropriate tools and techniques.

V

Vivek

I agree.

The easiest way to take the bling out of it is to cover it in two places (front and rear, leaving the focus ring) with a bicycle rubber tube.

alphaman

I picked up my 50 1.8 ... Just wish it was black.
Me too!

I can't understand why Sony are so keen on this silver effect. The two new Sigma lenses for NEX look superb by comparison.

I can't but think that Sony have missed a trick here, sure some will love (or at least not be bothered about) the silver lenses, but so many consumers and reviewers have stated a preference for black lenses.

The silver lenses don't look so bad on the NEX 3 or 5 cameras, but look out of place on the NEX 7.

Clearly, Sony needs to offer black versions of all their lenses if they expect NEX 7 users to pony up for their glass. They hint at understanding by releasing the kit in black but will they go all the way with the other lenses?

V

Vivek

Hexis mat black vinyl wrap (made for cars and by 3M? It is 80microns thick and comes with an adhesive back) works like a charm on the E 50/1.8.:thumbs:

Next to do is the E 30/3.5 Macro. :)

Bugleone

When I dumped my pentax dslr I went for a silver NEX 3 and would never willingly go back to a black camera now,.....First thing I doscovered is that nobody takes any notice of you if you use a silver camera and you can shoot what you like,...of course some people are just posers who feel they have to look the part but for good work an unobtrusive camera is much better....

.......Also, black cameras get very hot quickly in the sun during landscape photography.....I'm hoping to keep the sensor cool and thus help resolution during this summer.

I very much hope that sony will eventually produce NEX 7 in silver, or better still, white,...5n is available in Japan in white but not in Europe/US White would keep much cooler and be even less intimidating.

V

Vivek

Bugleone: I understand the vinyl wrap is available in many colors, including shades of white. ;)

It is not the color but the bling I wanted to get rid of. Besides, the wrap seems like a fine protection for the plastic body which is scratched easily.