The GetDPI Photography Forums  

Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Forum > Sony

Site Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2012   #1

NEX 7 Left Eyed manual focus problems

I find the electronic viewfinder impossible to use in my usual shooting mode: hold camera with right hand (I am right handed, but left eyed), look through finder with left eye and manually focus with left hand. I find that when the sun is to my left, it is so bright, I cannot see the finder with the NEX 7. I have resorted to holding the camera with my LEFT hand cupping the eye piece with my palm, then focusing right handed. Since this is reverse of what I have been doing forever (I am 75), it is awkward. Any right hander/left eyed shooters out there?
Dave
gurtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012   #2
Super Duper

Re: NEX 7 Left Eyed manual focus problems

Me.

I hold it with my right hand. Left hand is on the lens with the palm under the flimsy out line of the camera bottom, left eye on the EVF and nose on the LCD.

I tried the right eye. Does not work for me.
Vivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012   #3
Super Duper

I am naturally left-eyed also, but am training myself to shoot with the right, since I got lasik on my right eye. It has been a slow process. When I tested a NEX 7, I quickly realized it would be more difficult to shoot left-eyed on that camera.
monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
I find the electronic viewfinder impossible to use in my usual shooting mode: hold camera with right hand (I am right handed, but left eyed), look through finder with left eye and manually focus with left hand. I find that when the sun is to my left, it is so bright, I cannot see the finder with the NEX 7. I have resorted to holding the camera with my LEFT hand cupping the eye piece with my palm, then focusing right handed. Since this is reverse of what I have been doing forever (I am 75), it is awkward. Any right hander/left eyed shooters out there?
Dave

I have the same problem with my NEX-5N here in New Mexico with a lot of bright sunshine.
What works for me is pulling down a baseball cap sideways over my left eye.
That gives enough shade so that I can see the viewfinder without problems.

Regards, K-H.
k-hawinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012   #5

Thanks all for the tips. I also currently use an A900, and 645d with absoluly no problems because of their bright finders. I must admit I am a bit dissapointed with the EVF. I am so left eyed that I also shoot a rifle and bow and arrow left handed to accommodate my left eye. I write with my right hand.
Thanks again
Dave
Old 15th March 2012   #6

Another issue for we left eyers...try to look through the finder with your left eye and attempt to get your fingers on the diopter adjustment wheel!!!! Impossible. I resorted to looking through the finder, then removing my eye from the finder, adjusting the diopter one click, then looking through the finder again. Then repeating the process over and over again.
Best to all
Dave