The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander Adapter with WATE on A7?

VINCET

Just wondering if anyone tried using the Voigtlander Leica to Nex adapter on their Sony A7 with the Leica WATE?

jonoslack

I tried it on the A7r, and it was fine - nice adapter, nice lens, nice camera - no disagreement, no colour shift, no smeared edges

TICK

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Glad to hear that the WATE works well on the A7r. If I were thinking about using Leica M lenses on A7r, the WATE and APO-135 are the only two lenses that I care. For the others, I will much prefer to use them on M9.

Last edited:

VINCET

I actually like the result of the 50 lux asph. Did not like the result of the 35 lux asph however. My adapter did not allow me to use the WATE because it causes serious vignette. Can't wait to try the Voigtlander with the WATE.

iiiNelson

I have the Voigtlander VM-E adapter. I like it enough I bought a second one for the A7r I just bought last night.

vjbelle

Great adapter. Works like a charm with all my Leica lenses. Purchased from CameraQuest with very fast shipping and 30 day returns. I am, though, unhappy with the results from my 35 Summicron Asph and 24mm Elmarit-M Asph which has nothing to do with the adapter. My 50 Summicron and 90 Apo Summicron Asph are outstanding.

Victor

VINCET

One lens that i just tried on my A7 and really liking the look is the Zeiss 85 Sonnar ZM. I am using it with a cheapo adapter and it worked wondefully

jonoslack

Jono
Maybe you can buy that used a7r you returned for a fraction of the original price.
HI There Lou
long since gone - they sold it as OpenBox - I don't suppose they needed to discount it at all, as there was no free stock at the time.

I already knew the WATE was okay (although Neil's link does suggest some soft corners at 16mm and F4 (I didn't find them, but my subject was 20 ft away).

I have a perfectly good M to attach my WATE to - when I took the camera back there wasn't any lens I had which worked better on the A7r than the M - or any that I could shoot on the A7r but not on the M, but I'll wait and see if the 24-70 f4 and the 55 f1.8 are good - if so I might dip a toe back in the water :)

all the best

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
If WATE is still subject of adapter variability, then A7r is not really for me. The more I read, the more I think that I will be better off with an M240.

k-hawinkler

If WATE is still subject of adapter variability, then A7r is not really for me. The more I read, the more I think that I will be better off with an M240.

Good luck then with Leica's poor QA.
I hope you get a perfect M.

BTW, my WATE seems flawless on my A7R.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have not tried my WATE on A7r so I don't know if it will have a corner/edge problem. I really like the IQ of WATE on my M9 but it requires the huge finder (excellent finder BTW) which is not very convenient to use for me. As for QA of Leica, I have owned both M8 and M9 and so far, they have been trouble free.

Auni

I have not tried my WATE on A7r so I don't know if it will have a corner/edge problem. I really like the IQ of WATE on my M9 but it requires the huge finder (excellent finder BTW) which is not very convenient to use for me. As for QA of Leica, I have owned both M8 and M9 and so far, they have been trouble free.
Agreed. Have owned the M8, M9, and now M240 and had no problems with QA. I think that the forums are skewed toward reports of problems in all products.

The Novoflex adapter seems to be fine on the A7R with the WATE. I don't think that you can beat the WATE on the M240. It is my impression that it is a little better in the extreme corners wide open at 16mm on the M240. I will say that I haven't seen any exactly taken side by side photos to compare, but I think this is going to come out with more testing.

But, it is certainly one of the few lenses in the M catalog that works at all well on the A7R until you get beyond 50mm.

As an aside, for sure the EVF won't lock the camera up on you when you use the A7R and the WATE. I guess that could be defined as QA?

jonoslack

These images are taken using the Voltlander adapter.

a7r-LeicaWATE

Neil
Thanks for the link Neil

I did my testing with the WATE at 20 ft - these show soft corners at all focal lengths - which I didn't see.

I'd say that if you want to use wide angle lenses for landscape on the A7r you'd better stick to slr lenses - I was sure the WATE was okay (and for sure there is no colour shift) , but these aren't okay - and you can't magic back soft corners.

Auni

So is the lens in Neil's link faulty? I'm interested, because my initial impression was that the WATE was fine as well, but these are not okay

all the best
These photos are interesting to see. I was under the impression that I was getting softer corners wide open on my WATE at 16mm, but didn't want to commit to a comment because, I have taken no photos like these of Neil's of the building. It is hard to compare photos I've taken with my M and the A7R because, none are of the exact same subject that I've shot.

But, as I stated above, it is my impression that the A7R is a little soft in the extreme corners with the WATE.

Overall, my experience with the A7R has been frustrating with M lenses. Mine is going back as well. I felt a little mislead by Sony providing M-E adaptors (from Novoflex) in some of their promotional material and stating that the short registration of the A7R and the sensor design would allow use of other manufacturers' lenses. I guess that I can't pinpoint Sony saying specifically that Leica M lenses would work well with their camera, but I feel it was inferred.

I considered keeping it and using other lenses, but all of my lenses are M lenses. I'm not sure what lenses I would buy to use on it. Sony has nothing that remotely interests me. Anything that might be an option isn't going to be small and that is certainly a requirement, for me.

V

Vivek

These photos are interesting to see. I was under the impression that I was getting softer corners wide open on my WATE at 16mm, but didn't want to commit to a comment because, I have taken no photos like these of Neil's of the building. It is hard to compare photos I've taken with my M and the A7R because, none are of the exact same subject that I've shot.

But, as I stated above, it is my impression that the A7R is a little soft in the extreme corners with the WATE.

Overall, my experience with the A7R has been frustrating with M lenses. Mine is going back as well. I felt a little mislead by Sony providing M-E adaptors (from Novoflex) in some of their promotional material and stating that the short registration of the A7R and the sensor design would allow use of other manufacturers' lenses. I guess that I can't pinpoint Sony saying specifically that Leica M lenses would work well with their camera, but I feel it was inferred.

I considered keeping it and using other lenses, but all of my lenses are M lenses. I'm not sure what lenses I would buy to use on it. Sony has nothing that remotely interests me. Anything that might be an option isn't going to be small and that is certainly a requirement, for me.
You had the wrong impression. AFAIK, Sony never gave any adapter made by Novoflex with the A7R (in Australia). They did give LA-EA4 made by themselves or the ones made by Metabones (Nikon F and Canon EOS).