The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A6000

Uaiomex

Second day. The learning curve is waayyy steeper than I thought. I can't get a decent B&W image. I don't know if it's because the Super Color conversion or what? However, color ones are starting come nicely.
Maybe that's the reason I see so much color IR.
Eduardo
P.S. By the kind invitation of Cindy, I will cross post this time at the "New or Interesting Techniques to share" forum.

akclimber

Eduardo,

Very nice color IR! I shoot a lot of B&W IR with Canon cams converted with deep IR filters, not color, but I find both ACR and RawTherapee can create nice B&W images. When using ACR, I open the RAW, white balance on a cloud or something appropriate (or just do it by eye to start), then convert to B&W and begin to adjust the various RAW conversion settings to taste. I then open in Photoshop and use either Nik software or OnOne software to tweak the image to give it more or less of a traditional B&W, IR "glow". I've just begun to explore using RawTherapee RAW conversion software for IRs so don't have much in the way of wisdom there other than to say at first blush it seems very good at obtaining great results right from the get go. You may want to give it a try. They just added support for the A6000 and the software is free (if not easy to use).

May I ask what lenses you're using for the IR shots? I'm very tempted to sell my recently converted Canon 5D2, buy a 2nd A6000 and convert it. I'm really loving the A6000 (my first ICL mirrorless - I'm a fullframe DSLR kinda guy but maybe not for much longer) and wouldn't mind a small IR cam that can share my E mount lenses. I'm using the 16-70 f/4 and 10-18 f/4 lenses and wonder if they'd be OK with IR.

Cheers & thanks!

ryc

Ashwin, I am really enjoying this camera. Our fiend uses the native lenses while I use the A with adapter. Either way, amazing camera and enjoyable to shoot with.

Well there is 2 versions the latest is a Zeiss 50 1.4 and cost about 1400.00

My problem is the 55 fits 2 out of 3 bodies the A7r and A6000 and I'm buying the A77Ii. The other problem is I don't use a 50 mm much but its a nice 75 on the A77ii and A6000. I could just get the Sigma 50 1.4 since it is fairly cheap. I'm still short on cash to get the 16-50 2.8 DT which I need. Mental debate on this one. I like the 55 and my copy is brilliant . It's actually perfect
That's right, I was referring to the Minolta/Sony version, not he ZA.

Uaiomex

I bought both Sony 50f1.8 and 20f2.8 to use them with the IR converted A6000. These were the lenses I found under my budget. Originally I wanted to use the IR A6K with the 16-50 kit lens, but Lifepixel told me that they knew this was the only lens in the Sony E mount that didn't work because hot spots.
I happened to own this lens that bought with the Nex6. i ran an informal test with this lens and found no hot spots whatsoever, at least not yet.
Please go to the New & Interesting Techniques > "Capturing Infrared" and read posts 98 and 102.
Regards
Eduardo

Eduardo,

Very nice color IR! I shoot a lot of B&W IR with Canon cams converted with deep IR filters, not color, but I find both ACR and RawTherapee can create nice B&W images. When using ACR, I open the RAW, white balance on a cloud or something appropriate (or just do it by eye to start), then convert to B&W and begin to adjust the various RAW conversion settings to taste. I then open in Photoshop and use either Nik software or OnOne software to tweak the image to give it more or less of a traditional B&W, IR "glow". I've just begun to explore using RawTherapee RAW conversion software for IRs so don't have much in the way of wisdom there other than to say at first blush it seems very good at obtaining great results right from the get go. You may want to give it a try. They just added support for the A6000 and the software is free (if not easy to use).

May I ask what lenses you're using for the IR shots? I'm very tempted to sell my recently converted Canon 5D2, buy a 2nd A6000 and convert it. I'm really loving the A6000 (my first ICL mirrorless - I'm a fullframe DSLR kinda guy but maybe not for much longer) and wouldn't mind a small IR cam that can share my E mount lenses. I'm using the 16-70 f/4 and 10-18 f/4 lenses and wonder if they'd be OK with IR.

Cheers & thanks!

scho

Can't find my manual for the 6000. If the lens correction settings for distortion, CA, and vignetting are set to AUTO or ON in the camera do these corrections get applied to the RAW files or not? I have lens profiles available in LR and don't want to end up making lens corrections twice if they are already done in camera.

scho

Can't find my manual for the 6000. If the lens correction settings for distortion, CA, and vignetting are set to AUTO or ON in the camera do these corrections get applied to the RAW files or not? I have lens profiles available in LR and don't want to end up making lens corrections twice if they are already done in camera.
Nothing in the manual, so I just did a comparison with Lens Comp set to both AUTO and OFF. Using the Zeiss Touit 12mm it is clear that when then 6000 is set to AUTO for Lens Comp then lens corrections are transferred to the raw file. For images taken with Lens Comp OFF the same in camera corrections can be obtained by turning ON the appropriate lens profile in LR.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice . I would bet my bottom dollar which is just about where I am at after recent purchases. LOL

That it will NOT transfer that data into C1 and just for the record and don't fall over but I just loaded LR yesterday. I might just be switching to at least some degree for now. One reason is this lens profiles are weak in C1 and waiting for camera support might just be too long. Like I always say when it comes to gear Im ready to turn on the dime if something even smells better. In my Professional world its a good attitude to have, marry nothing except your spouse.

scho

Finally got a chance to take the little CZ Touit 32mm f/1.8 Planar out for a spin. Two shots of plants at the Cornell Newman Arboretum.

Last edited:

Uaiomex

Finally got a chance to take the little CZ Touit 32mm f/2.8 Planar out for a spin. Two shots of plants at the Cornell Newman Arboretum.

Wow, this lens is worth every penny in halves.
Carl, one of the best botanical photo I can remember.
Eduardo

scho

Finally got a chance to take the little CZ Touit 32mm f/2.8 Planar out for a spin. Two shots of plants at the Cornell Newman Arboretum.

Wow, this lens is worth every penny in halves.
Carl, one of the best botanical photo I can remember.
Eduardo
Thanks Eduardo. The 32mm Touit Planar has the classic Zeiss contrast and biting sharpness. The 12mm distagon is also excellent.

akclimber

A few A6000 images from my wanders. Shot with either the 16-70 F/4 or 10-18 f/4. The "painterly/multi-ex" images were shot handheld using the whispy water app just to see what would happen :)

_DSC1070 web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr

_DSC1152 web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr

_DSC0181 web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr

_DSC0236 web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr

Untitled_Panorama1 web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr

_DSC0521_2_3_4_web bw by Joe McCabe, on Flickr

_DSC0421 multi ex fairweather flag by Joe McCabe, on Flickr

_DSC0455 beer fest multi blur web by Joe McCabe, on Flickr

scho

A beautiful summer day. Sony A6000 with Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 Touit Planar.

Jammin

Lockstep