The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A6000

algrove

Guy

I must say you have me thinking about the A6000. You know more about Sony than I ever could, but what about the newest Sony lenses like the FE series? I would want in AF lenses--one wide, one 35 or 50 and one 90 to 135 in 35mm equivalents. Mid range I know about, but long and fast lenses (2.8 or better) seem hard to come by in the Sony world.

Any comment for lenses without adapters.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy

I must say you have me thinking about the A6000. You know more about Sony than I ever could, but what about the newest Sony lenses like the FE series? I would want in AF lenses--one wide, one 35 or 50 and one 90 to 135 in 35mm equivalents. Mid range I know about, but long and fast lenses (2.8 or better) seem hard to come by in the Sony world.

Any comment for lenses without adapters.
The 35 Fe and especially the 55 FE are outstanding. I had trouble with the 35 FE lens but that was on full frame. I'll tell you what I like is the Zeiss 12 Touit very much Which is a 18mm equiv. in FF. I would like to have the Zeiss 32 as well and with the 55mm Fe you have a nice powerhouse of glass in 3 lenses. Now if you passed on the 12mm Sony 10-18mm is said to be very good as well. Than there is the 16-70 F4 which has some mixed reviews but the images posted here and elsewhere it looks very strong. I love the A6000 as a camera, its just a lot of fun and some great images out of it. Some great images posted in this thread as you can see.

Guy Mancuso

On the long end I use my Sony A glass with adapters but that becomes somewhat big and heavy. The 85 1.4 for instance is not bad and it is a 135mm equivalent

Guy Mancuso

Depends biggest thing is they are faster F2, 1.8 and the zooms are F2.8 which translates into bigger, heavier faster glass that you can use natively on the A77II, A99, Future A99II and than with adapters like the Sony 4 adapter you can use them on all the E and FE mounts. So in the end they are more versatile to the entire Sony system. But they are more DSLR style lenses that are big and for A7 system users it takes a small cam and makes it big.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

scho

I had my A6000 converted to full spectrum by Life Pixel. These were with 590nm (Goldie/super false color) filter. I posted these in the infrared thread, but thought I'd post here and give the A6000 thread a bump.
Spectacular IR colors Cindy. I like the 4th best with the golden trees and natural blue sky. How is the full color with a UV/IR cut filter? I'd be tempted to try this with my A6000 if a simple UV/IR cut filter can still give me good natural full color images.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carl,
I haven't tested it thoroughly yet. I bought the CC1 filter from MaxMax. It blocks the IR. I'm told that you need to put a UV block filter on too. I'm waiting for a couple of more step rings (I have about 40, but never have the size I need.:ROTFL:) I have two Cut IR blocking filters left over from my M8 days. I'll try them alone and report back, but I think the CC1 and UV block are most like the original coverglass filter.

It is somewhat of a PITA to have to deal with filters, but I am willing to put up with that to be able to have a camera that can do super color, enhanced color and deep IR, as well as normal photography.

scho

Carl,
I haven't tested it thoroughly yet. I bought the CC1 filter from MaxMax. It blocks the IR. I'm told that you need to put a UV block filter on too. I'm waiting for a couple of more step rings (I have about 40, but never have the size I need.:ROTFL:) I have two Cut IR blocking filters left over from my M8 days. I'll try them alone and report back, but I think the CC1 and UV block are most like the original coverglass filter.

It is somewhat of a PITA to have to deal with filters, but I am willing to put up with that to be able to have a camera that can do super color, enhanced color and deep IR, as well as normal photography.
Thanks Cindy. I also still have a few 486 filters that I used with my old M8. They are supposed to block both IR and UV.

Uaiomex

Beautiful Cindy, especially the second one with the trees. I'm glad you're enjoying the full spectrum conversion. Can you say now how many steps you lose for normal color and for full b&w IR?
Thanks
Eduardo

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Eduardo,
I have not had a chance to play with it much yet. I only used the 590nm filter in my first run. I am going to guess that it was roughly 2 stops, but that is just a guess. I was using manual mode.

Carl,
The full spectrum only has a clear glass over the sensor. The M8 had a weak IR filter, so the addition of the 486 cut IR/UV was enough. I am seeing a magenta cast when I shoot with just the 486 cut filter on it. When I use the MaxMax CC1 + UV, I do not see the magenta. Now, maybe the magenta would be cleared with just a white balance...and for sure it looks really good as a black and white shooter, but I will have to do more tests.

scho

Another bump for the A6000 thread. I also had my A6000 converted for full spectrum use and posted some of my first shots in the IR thread, but want to add a couple here to illustrate the versatility of the full spectrum A6000.

"Naked" sensor (no filter on sensor and none on the lens)

UV/IR cut filter on lens (similar to what was removed from sensor for FS conversion)

590nm (aka Wratten red 25) on lens

scho

Sony A6000 Full spectrum with Zeiss Touit 32mm Planar. Two oxalis plants that have been "pot mates" for a few years. The purple version (not currently blooming) has pink flowers and the green one has white. There seems to be some hybridization going on with the green plant as some of the leaves are green/purple and some blossoms light pink.

UV/IR cut filter on lens

590 nm filter on lens

scho

A vineyard near Geneva, NY at the north end of Seneca Lake.

A6000 FS with Kolari hot mirror filter on Zeiss 12mm Touit

A6000 FS with Kolari 590nm filter on Zeiss 12mm Touit