The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Image circle of A7R and Canon Tilt/Shift lenses compared to MFDB and shift lenses?

Hi,

I am looking to purchase either Chiek's GX680 conversion or Stefan Steib's Mirex adapter (when it becomes available) and was just wondering how 35mm TS-E lenses compare to MFDB Rodenstock/Schneider lenses on a 645 digital back?

Relative to the individual formats that is?

So with Chiek's design, I see that you can do a front rise and then do a rear shift left/right. Similar to the movements that you can do with a film view camera or some of the Medium Format "view cameras". So I can see this being good for single shot captures, as well as stitching..

So I guess my question is all things being considered the same relative to the format, do they have similar image circles in their ability to rise/fall and shift etc etc

The second reason is, I assume that to get roughly the same resolution as one of the higher MFDB's, the Sony A7R will need a 2x stitch and then wondering how movements will be affected by this ie running out image circle after having done a 2 x stitch

I hope this makes sense, look forward to any of your thoughts and comments..

chiek

a7r with 2~3shot stitching is better image quality than 39Mpx Back.
I've owned P45, P45+ and now Hasselblad CF-39MS.

It's definitely better than single shot 39mpx back.
but consider to multishot, It's a different league.

I think good 35mm format Tilt/shift lens is not only wide coverage 35mm format lens, but also medium format lens.

actually canon 24 TS-II is better than Rodenstock 23, 28HR… I think.
because of
1. NO center filter needed.
2. more brighter.
3. larger image circle even full shifted MFDB.
4. Excellent sharpness.

Ben Rubinstein

The problem I find with a t/s solution (either t/s lens or Stefen's adaptor) for stitching is that you can only stitch in a single direction, left to right or top to bottom. That gives you a panorama ratio image. If you want to flat stitch keeping a 2:3 (or 4:5/4:3) ratio then you need a solution like Chiek's. Please tell me if I'm wrong with this?

Bob Parsons

The problem I find with a t/s solution (either t/s lens or Stefen's adaptor) for stitching is that you can only stitch in a single direction, left to right or top to bottom. That gives you a panorama ratio image. If you want to flat stitch keeping a 2:3 (or 4:5/4:3) ratio then you need a solution like Chiek's. Please tell me if I'm wrong with this?
Turn the camera (35mm) to vertical orientation and stitch horizontally, that's what I do. A7R, Canon 17/24mm TSE, Fotodiox FreeArc/Wonderpana filters.

Bob.

Annna T

Turn the camera (35mm) to vertical orientation and stitch horizontally, that's what I do. A7R, Canon 17/24mm TSE, Fotodiox FreeArc/Wonderpana filters.

Bob.
You can also turn make use of rotation by 45 degrees : first at 0 degree you take three shifted pictures, then at 45 degrees, then apply another rotation to 90 degrees and finally to 135 degrees and take three pictures again. You end up with a big square missing some parts at the edge, once you crop those parts, you still have a large square format. At least, I can do that with my 24mm TSE version I, although I didn't try with the A7r.

BTW : I was wondering how better the corners would be supposing that I updated to version II ? Anyone got an occasion to compare the two versions ?

Bob Parsons

...............BTW : I was wondering how better the corners would be supposing that I updated to version II ? Anyone got an occasion to compare the two versions ?
Chalk and cheese is the expression that comes to mind. The 24mm TSE II has virtually no chromatic aberration even when shifted compared to the older version. What little there is at full shift can be easily removed in lightroom - although I've never bothered. In addition the image circle of the new version is larger and loss of definition in the corners much less. I think it's a superb lens, one of the very best. Also the tilt and shift axis can be rotated with respect to one another. In the old version that was a hardware mod - not easy to carry out in the field.

Bob.

Annna T

Chalk and cheese is the expression that comes to mind. The 24mm TSE II has virtually no chromatic aberration even when shifted compared to the older version. What little there is at full shift can be easily removed in lightroom - although I've never bothered. In addition the image circle of the new version is larger and loss of definition in the corners much less. I think it's a superb lens, one of the very best. Also the tilt and shift axis can be rotated with respect to one another. In the old version that was a hardware mod - not easy to carry out in the field.

Bob.
Many thanks for your informative answer. Mmm I should budget a change in foreseeable future. I'm not too much bothered by ca (my Zeiss Contax G lenses show more of it), but I have often felt limited while shifting; it is not very good to go past 7 mm and the max is 11mm. The corners could also be better. Same for my Canon 16-35mm F2.8 version 1.

Bob Parsons

Many thanks for your informative answer. Mmm I should budget a change in foreseeable future. I'm not too much bothered by ca (my Zeiss Contax G lenses show more of it), but I have often felt limited while shifting; it is not very good to go past 7 mm and the max is 11mm. The corners could also be better. Same for my Canon 16-35mm F2.8 version 1.
I'd certainly recommend borrowing or hiring a MkII version to try out before purchase. I found a big improvement in CA, corner resolution and vignetting compared to the earlier version - but I may have just been lucky with my MkI not being a particularly good example, however it didn't show any sign of decentering.

Comparison MK1 and MKII:
TS-E 24mm 3.5L II
tilt shift - What is the difference between Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II and I? - Photography Stack Exchange

Reviews:
Canon TS-E 24mm 1:3.5 L II review: Digital Photography Review
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II Tilt-Shift Lens Review

Opinions:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Ultra Wide Tilt-Shift Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
FM Reviews - Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

Bob.

Bob Parsons

I can't quite work out how that gives you 2:3 or 4:5, square at best, can you explain?
I'm assuming that the number of vertical or horizontal pixels provided by the sensor is sufficient for one of the final image dimensions. Then for example it's possible to convert a 35mm format 2:3 horizontal image to a 4:3 ratio by taking two additional exposures. One with the camera body shifted up by 12mm and the other with the body shifted down by 12mm and stitching all 3 images together. In this example there is excessive overlap between images that's not needed in practice.
If the final image needs more horizontal pixels than that provided by the sensor you have no choice other than stitching together more than 3 images. For example, 3 shifted vertically with another 3 verticals that have been shifted horizontally.

For a 35mm format with a choice of vertical or horizontal camera orientation, a variable number of stitched images and amount of image overlap a final image of any aspect ratio can be produced.

Hope this clarifies what I was trying to say.

Bob.

Annna T

I'd certainly recommend borrowing or hiring a MkII version to try out before purchase. I found a big improvement in CA, corner resolution and vignetting compared to the earlier version - but I may have just been lucky with my MkI not being a particularly good example, however it didn't show any sign of decentering.

Comparison MK1 and MKII:
TS-E 24mm 3.5L II
tilt shift - What is the difference between Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II and I? - Photography Stack Exchange

Reviews:
Canon TS-E 24mm 1:3.5 L II review: Digital Photography Review
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II Tilt-Shift Lens Review

Opinions:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Ultra Wide Tilt-Shift Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
FM Reviews - Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

Bob.
Thank you ! Great links, very helpful, especially this one :
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-II-Tilt-Shift-Lens.aspx
Now I really need to update mine..

Ben Rubinstein

Bob, thanks for that explanation. I tried to visualise it using an image.

This is an image from an A7r. With a full 12mm in each direction (I didn't know that was possible, I thought it was only 12mm in total on these lenses which is why I thought it would be a square) you get an image in a perfect 4:3 ratio with 72.3 megapixels. All with 3 exposures and flat stitching. I used to do a lot of spherical stitching with my Canon 5D. Needed a whole heck of a lot of frames to get that many megapixels! Even cropped to a 2:3 ratio you still have 64.3 megapixels. If you include a little slop with the framing and the ability to fix verticals (I shoot a lot of architecture) then you still have 55+ megapixels worth of image and it's fast in the field and fast at the computer.

Thanks for that Bob!

How do I work out what FOV (lens equivalent) I get with a 24mm t/s when shifted fully 12mm to each side? How are the far edges when maxing the shift? Thanks!

Uaiomex

Ben,
I get the FOV equivalency by doing unsofisticated math. No scientists here.

If you’re shifting 12mm to each side, you get an image of 48X36 (4:3).
48X48= 2,304 +
36X36= 1,296 = 3600

Square root of 3600 = 60 (60mm is the image circle necessary for the capture)

We know the FF real image circle of 24X36 is 43.27

60 : 43.27 :: 24 : X
X = 17.3
17.3mm is the FOV equivalent for a 24TSmm lens when fully shifted.

If I’m mistaken, please anyone correct me asap. If there's a simpler way, I'd like to know it. Thanks.
Regards
Eduardo

Ben Rubinstein

I think I lost you around the 5th line :p I found a website once that had a calculator to do this stuff. Can't remember where though, if I find it again I'll post. Thanks!

What you have shown me is important though. With a 24mm t/s you get a 24mm and 17mm lens in one with the ability to use tilt throughout and shift at the 24mm end. That is a serious consideration.

Last edited:

chiek

Lens plane shift is rendering by software, It means computer rendered image.
Only Rear(sensor) shifting is Perfect stitching.

Ben Rubinstein

Jack Flesher once wrote a good article on the subject including a fix using a long tripod plate and markings over on the Outbackphoto blog. Remember reading it many years back.

Stefan Steib

I think the question about "Better" is not only limited to the shere image quality. It´s about usability and speed as well. If you may need 30 minutes of time to set up a full working largeformat architecture setup with a back and viewcamera lenses with an LCC for the used shift/movements and a centerfilter, maybe applying an ND first to get the focus right.....

Compared to: put the Sony A7R+TS-E 24II on a tripod, maybe with our HCam Clamp. Do 3 shots, get nearly 80 Mpix net image with an image angle of 110 degrees in maybe 1-2 Minutes ?

"Maybe"... the output of the 80 Mpix MF system is better, "IF" you did everything right. What if light changes quickly ? What if the space for you to shoot will be timed ? What if you need not 1 but 5 or10 perspectives of that light situation and you have been flying in from some distance away to get this shot for a customer who pays your daily rate ?

a lot of questions.... and I know many of the best photographers have found the answer for them already. Just today I spoke with Rainer Viertelböck who also uses a Sony and now got some Hartblei´s as well.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

PS.: I didn´t even drop ONE WORD about the pricing.......

Hi Stefan,
Thanks to everyone for all the responses, much appreciated! I will definitely be sticking to my Sony A7R and various tilt/shift/stitching options available :)

Stefan Steib, Any update as to when your "new" HCam Master TS is likely to be available?

Ok, thanks a lot!

Stefan Steib

We are pretty close to be ready. I am just waiting for the last fits from Mirex,
the Lens, the price the workflow, all is set.
Probably the next 3-4 weeks. I know this is going to be in the summer vacations , but honestly we are very early for Photokina.... :)

There´s also some more coming: a special cage for Sony A7/R/S

Small is beautiful
Stefan