The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Makten

1. Makten

Fun with Olympus E-P7

The problem is that the camera chooses a much too fast shutter speed when using auto ISO in A (or S) modes, which pushes ISO unnecessarily high. The whole point with using auto ISO is to always get the lowest possible ISO, at least to me. The solution could have been (as on Sony a7 cameras) to...
  2. Makten

Fun with Olympus E-P7

I just got an E-P7 and right away found a major issue that someone maybe can help me with... There seem to be no way to use exposure compensation in manual mode with auto-ISO. I've used that on all my other cameras and it's been working great. But for some reason the E-P7 just refuses to change...
  3. Makten

The PC Super-Angulon 28mm f/2.8 by Schneider-Kreuznach (and Leica): a Deep Dive

You mean one can correct shifted images with non-uniform distortion and color casts in Capture One? 😮 How?
  4. Makten

IQ4 Achromatic - Nighttime Filter Comparison (IR; UV+IR cut)

Unless you want IR "contamination" in your images, an IR cut filter is the norm. Most (virtually all?) consumer cameras have an UV/IR cut filter in front of the sensor to get decent colors, but on a monochrome camera there might be reasons to not include it. My guess is that you will get...
  5. Makten

Ah, for some reason I assumed that the movement of the CRC element was linear, but of course it could "stay put" for most of the travel and then start to move when approaching MFD. That is surely the case in many modern lenses with plastic helicoids, but it might be in some older lenses too...
  6. Makten

You can see it in the photo of the maple leaf, and the brick wall shots. It's not always apparent, and more visible in certain types of light. It took me a while to notice it in my own photos, but once you see it, it's difficult to unsee. I really haven't used mine since I got the GF 30. Which...
  7. Makten

I have the lens in C/Y mount and I agree that it's pretty good. However, my main gripe with it is the quite pronounced cyan color cast towards the periphery. If you use the lens unshifted, it's easy to get rid of with an LCC profile. But for shifted images you'd have to make a new profile for...
  8. Makten

AstrHori 40mm f/5.6 GFX ... 🥁

Well, here are the MTF's at least. Doesn't look like it will be very sharp in the corners, but it doesn't say at what aperture this is... Edit: This is a bit strange; there seem to be an M mount version that is a lot smaller: https://astrhori.com/40mmf56cpym
  9. Makten

From what I've seen, the Canon isn't good enough for my taste. It also requires an expensive adapter, which makes it less convenient (unless you have other EF lenses of course).
  10. Makten

I didn't understand the purpose of their 55/5.6 when it was released, because of the similarity to the GF 50/3.5. But at 40 mm, this makes a lot more sense. I've been using the GF 80 a lot lately and a minimal 40 mm lens could be a nice complement for "what if" moments. :)
  11. Makten

What is your decision-making process when choosing your camera and lenses?

"Do I want this?" Yes -> Buy No -> Don't buy Luckily I don't want a lot of things. There is almost always something wrong with new gear. 😁
  12. Makten

Suggestions for Medium Format Camera with CCD Sensor. DISREGARD This Thread

I used a little bit of bounce flash, but the room was very dim, yes. Maybe not the best example since I have used the flash like three times and then concluded that flash is probably not for me. 😂 Here's another example; ISO 6400 and 1/15. No flash. 😁 Could I have used a simpler, smaller...
  13. Makten

To me, low noise at high ISO is a great advantage regardless of what system I use. It means I seldom need a tripod and that I don't have to use different cameras for different occasions. Just an example, ISO 3200 and 1/8 shutter speed...
  14. Makten

While I agree (at least to some extent), I just wanted to point out that the color difference is not because of CCD vs. CMOS. It's becoming some sort of myth, similar to the one about larger pixels giving lower noise (they don't, per image height). ;) Someone mentioned dynamic range, and that...
  15. Makten

Is there any rational reason to want a CCD sensor instead of CMOS? In terms of color differences, it can not be because of the sensor technology. Charges in the pixels and/or electronics don't change behaviour depending on how they were created, so the difference must be because of different...