The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by pfigen

1. P

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Are you using the optical viewfinder on top of the camera or the optional ground glass on the back to frame? These images, nice as they are, feel like the camera is pointed down slightly from where you probably wanted your composition to be. Feels like a parallax issue to me.
  2. P

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Do you have a light box and a digital camera? Even though you don't need a macro lens per se as the film is so large, you want the flat field and lack of distortion of a macro.
  3. P

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Been rescanning some older images where maybe I wasn't 100 percent thrilled with the original scans. This is a shot from the mid to late 90's for the cover of Acoustic Guitar Magazine featuring a 1951 Gibson SJ-200 and a 1939 Martin D-28 Herringbone - well over a hundred thousand dollars of old...
  4. P

taking Raw image files from Raw video - 1dx Mark III?

Even if it's theoretically possible, the practical ramifications are that what makes for good video also makes for crappy stills in many cases - that being the effective shutter speed. Shutter speeds that make for smooth motion also make for blurry stills much of the time. And usually even the...
  5. P

Velvia on the Old Coast Road in Big Sur. Mamiya 7.
  6. P

Looking For Love in All the Wrong Places. Yep. It's Johnny Lee. Y'know - the one who used to be married to what's her name - the star of Dallas - Charlene Tilton, photographed out at the famous or infamous Vasquez Rocks between L.A and Palmdale, filming location for everything from Star Trek to...
  7. P

Rock guitarist Tony McAlpine photographed in my old old studio with an RZ and either a 50 or 65mm lens using the ultra rare 6x6 back for that camera.
  8. P

Chris Hillman - bass player for the Byrds, co-founder of the Flying Burrito Brothers, founder of the Desert Rose Band among others - photographed upstairs (backstage) at McCabe's Guitar Shop sometime in the spring of '86 for my last class at Art Center College of Design where I set out to...
  9. P

Dweezil Zappa photographed in Frank's old home studio up on Woodrow Wilson Drive in the Hollywood Hills near Mulholland - now owned by Lady Gaga - with the fire charred Fender Stratocaster given to him by Jimi Hendrix. Shot on an RZ67 with the 37mm fisheye with cross processed C-41.
  10. P

Nice top on that guitar - you can see the medullary rays so clearly. In the same boat here. Play for myself but steel string folky country and learn through absorption from my professional musician gf, but even more fun during this pandemic limited society, I've been getting up to speed on...
  11. P

Getting to spend time now going through almost forgotten shoots from years ago. Sometimes revisiting these brings some surprises, like this shot of famed Hammond B3 organist, Brian Auger that I shot in a Venice, Ca. alley in January of 1996 for Mackie, the mixing board company. This was shot on...
  12. P

PS CC latest version terribly slow

There's no real difference in any of the recent versions of Photoshop CC. They all seem to be more or less equal in terms of overall speed and efficiency. If you are having slowdowns, I'd start by checking your system for all the usual suspects - ram allocation, hard drive speed and efficiency...
  13. P

Good video on scanning

Please. A horrible video by someone who doesn't know **** about scanning. This got some discussion on the Large Format group recently. Unfortunately pretty much anyone can post to youtube.
  14. P

Is the 5dsr still relevant?

Of course it's still relevant but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Great solid rugged camera and the dynamic range is more than adequate for most anything you shoot. In the real world it's not a big deal and all those other cameras that compete, well, maybe there's just the new Sony, are...
  15. P

2020 Tacoma Pro Headlight

I'm still waiting on the wiring harness to come to install these beautiful new Toyota LED lights from the 2020 Pro onto my '18 so I made a portrait with the 50mm TS-E lens. Not too difficult but still complicated as it took about a dozen focus slices overall, then a black reflector for a second...