The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. rdeloe

Fun with MF images 2024

The clouds are in just the right place relative to the dome of rock. Nicely done.
  2. rdeloe

Swing aesthetics

That's a fantastic demonstration of come to rotation. Nicely done. The lens brings back memories. I had that one too.
  3. rdeloe

Swing aesthetics

Is that Queenston Shale? https://www.niagarageopark.com/geology-queenston-formation The colour is lovely. I found lots of exposed shale in 16-Mile creek in Glenorchy. https://www.robdeloephotography.com/Works/Experiments-in-Engagement/Glenorchy/Queenston-Shale For linking, have you tried...
  4. rdeloe

Technical Camera Images

Thanks Rod. I really can't complain about the performance of that little 35mm. There may be a lens out there that could eke out a bit more detail. But I'm not sure what I would do with that detail. This is 100%. I've already pulled sharpening back from Adobe's default amount. It might be...
  5. rdeloe

Swing aesthetics

One of the highlights for me of this thread is the different explanations I'm getting for how people are reading and seeing the same image. We do our best to compose and process an image to try to make the viewer see it a certain way. I may want your eye to start here and then go here but not...
  6. rdeloe

Swing aesthetics

That's exactly what I meant about editing. We can change perspective and relationships when painting in ways that we can't do in photography (unless we've moved from photography into photo art of course, where mountains can become large or small as needed, and the moon can be in a more...
  7. rdeloe

Technical Camera Images

This one's for you Rod @4x5Australian No vegetation -- just geology! ;) Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Digitar 35mm f/5.6 L-88 on Arca-Swiss F-Universalis with GFX 100S. Tilt and swing got me most of the way there, but I could tell on site that even f/16 with tilt and swing wouldn't be enough to...
  8. rdeloe

Swing aesthetics

To my regret, the most important thing I know about painting is that I don't know much about painting. I very much appreciate the body of knowledge that painting and drawing have produced about composition, and try to nibble at the edges to help my photography. You are not wrong though: on my...
  9. rdeloe

Swing aesthetics

With your passion for geology, there could have been a unicorn on top of the wall and you would have ignored it. ;) What you describe is how I understand we humans see, in other words, we see a tiny bit of the world and are scanning around. Our brains put the pieces together in such a way that...
  10. rdeloe

Phase One IQ4 and XT system for sale

There is a buy and sell forum. This is the wrong place for your ad.
  11. rdeloe

Swing aesthetics

P.S. That was the Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Digitar 35mm f/5.6 L-88 on my F-Universalis with GFX 100S. I am such a fan of this little lens. It just delivers!
  12. rdeloe

Swing aesthetics

Thanks for the feedback and ideas colleagues. @lookbook, I think you note an important point. As soon as the picture finished loading in the post and I saw the maximum size, I worried that the concern wouldn't be apparent. It's much more obvious on my large editing monitor, and it would jump...
  13. rdeloe

Swing aesthetics

I'm working on an image that used swing. The image is successful in the application of swing, in other words, I successfully put the plane of focus where I wanted it, and the wedge of acceptable focus that resulted included everything I wanted in focus, and left blurry the things I wanted out of...
  14. rdeloe

Technical Camera Images

Photos like this are the reason I use a digital view camera. This image is all about the tree, and I wanted the whole face of the tree and the foreground in focus. With the 150mm lens I used, depth of field was not going to give me what I wanted. A tiny bit of tilt got me there. Mamiya N...
  15. rdeloe

Fun with MF images 2024

I think there are two conversations going on here. The first, and least interesting one, is my suggestion that many (if not most) of the "photography composition" books offer fairly rigid rules that have been handed down uncritically from photographer to photographer over the decades, usually...
  16. rdeloe

Remounting lens in Copal

The thread started with a question about remounting cells. My recent experience offers an important general insight. I had two sets of Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Digitar 35mm f/5.6 L-88 cells, and I had two identical Compur 0 shutters (the late black versions). So this is an apples-to-apples...
  17. rdeloe

Fun with MF images 2024

Most of the composition "rules" that one reads in books about composition in photography have little or no basis in composition for painting and drawing. I honestly think photographers created a corpus of "rules" in near total ignorance of centuries of theory and practice in other visual arts.
  18. rdeloe

Remounting lens in Copal

Thank's to Ben's tip I bought these Misumi shims in steel, sizes 0.1mm, 0.05mm and 0.02mm. They are very high quality and come 10 to a package for the standard sizes. I was able to get a Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Digitar 35mm f/5.6 L-88 lens to optimum performance by working up from 0.14mm to...
  19. rdeloe

Arca Swiss D4 head variants?

I have both Monoball fFix and standard parts. I don't like lever clamps. My favourite part is the Arca-Swiss screw clamp that has both monoball fix and standard A-S clamp. It's reasonably priced and rock solid.
  20. rdeloe

New camera from Arca Swiss: the Pico

Friendly amendment... The S-K APO-Digitar 35/5.6 works great on an F-Universalis with GFX if one can live with 8mm of shift. The 47mm APO-Digitar also works (with 8mm of shift) but I couldn't get the copy I tried to the point of usability. If you put a tilt-shift lens in a collar and shift the...