The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. D

A macro lens for the view camera

Bu**er! I used his site a lot when I was sorting out my micro photography set-up, so I owe him thanks. I hope his site stays up somehow, so that the work he did doesn't fade away. Thanks, Duff.
  2. D

Inkjet vs c-type prints in 2024

One of the principal reasons of going (colour) c-print was its marketability. From my past experience, the 'knowing' paying public view such a print as a true 'photographic' print, or (as you put it Paul) a museum grade print. However, over the last few weeks of investigation, I'm increasingly...
  3. D

What F-Stop range do you use

Depends on the application. In other words, all, except f32. Cheers, Duff
  4. D

Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

Another lens or rather series of lenses are the Yashica lenses for the 35mm Yashica/Contax mount. All from the SSB's to the ML's (I've only tried the primes, so can't comment on the zooms). Said to be a cheaper and lesser alternative to Zeiss, but I find they can keep up with their bigger...
  5. D

Absolutely. Thankfully, I only need to fret about my last remaining stock of Provia 120 rollfilm and 4x5 sheets, if indeed I actually use it up, which I ought to. I've never had issues with dedicated photo labs, only the high street places in the early days when I was finding my feet. Of...
  6. D

Yup, Grieger are closest. The nearest lab to me is 100km away so sending by post is the only option. Cheers, Duff.
  7. D

Thanks Paul and Anyone. Points noted. It's the final print process that needs to be reassessed at present, all other aspects have been optimised for a while now. I'll likely move over to Grieger, at least for E6 film processing as and when. Regards prints, it would seem a good idea to go to...
  8. D

Thanks Paul for your lengthy and considered thoughts - very much appreciated. Yes, a digital c print is what I'm looking for (applied by laser - Polielettronica, Lambda, etc.). Yes, and yes I agree, but galleries are not the easiest to access, at least where I am. I also wonder how much they...
  9. D

Howdo, Inkjet prints have come along way. Their quality is regarded as better than a c-type dye-based print in virtually all aspects except price, certain areas of colour gamut, and possibly tonality (due to dye being used rather than tiny splotches of pigment), not that I'm sure you'd notice...
  10. D

Photographing in visually complex places.

Huh! You posted a pic just as I was about to reply, so well timed! First of all, I should say that each (good) photographer has their own style to some extent. This means to say that the rules of photography aren't always followed. So, with that proviso out of the way... With regard to the...
  11. D

Can you explain what software is used to get this image

https://www.barbaramacferrinphotography.com/ Cheers, Duff.
  12. D

Can’t remove back on Linhof

It should be a simple 90 degree turn of the release lever in the corner. Link to a video, by Linhof Studio, UK, of the Linhof Super technika 69 (2x3 if American) is below. Linhof Super technika 69 Overview Cheers, Duff.
  13. D

Thoughtful pics of fauna...

Aha! You are indeed mistaken ;) It is a Loggerhead Shrike. Compared with Northern Shrike, Loggerhead has a more substantial black mask with runs over the bill, and cleaner white underperts. In Northern Shrike the mask is less extensive and does not run over the bill. Also, the underparts are...
  14. D

Zf

Well, it's not for macro photographers! The lack of an accessory terminal for fitting a remote cord is a bit of a clanger by Nikon, unless of course, the camera is aimed purely at the nostalgia/retro crowd, but even then... Hopefully, it's not a sign of things not to come with the new whatever...
  15. D

Boring (redux)

The really boring (cliché) thing to do would be to have one half-filled ;) Cheers, Duff.
  16. D

Boring (redux)

Mono is fine of course, but colour can also have its place where the colour palette is limited, as in your pic, adding to that minimalist effect again (as I mentioned with Pieter's pic). Maybe a little more editing work would bring that out more? Cheers, Duff.
  17. D

I can give one example of a good lens that can be used for tilt and shift and can still be found for less than $500 (just); the Pentax 105mm f2.4 SMC. However, it's best used on its native Pentax 67 body where, when fully open and even stopped down a little, the out-of-focus areas are some of...
  18. D

Not telling what lenses are best bang for the buck as I'm still looking for one or two and I don't want the price to go up as a result of this thread ;) Cheers, Duff
  19. D

D500 - closest in Z body?

You only have two options, the Z 50 and the Z fc. Both have more or less the same specs with regard to what you want out of them. Neither are a replacement for the D500. AF speed will depend on the quality of the adapter you're using. I've heard good things about the Fringer adapter. AF speed...
  20. D

Boring (redux)

Ah yes, indeed. It reminds me of the doting parents praising their child for the terrible drawing of a house they made, while grimacing at the drawings the other children have made. I use it as a good-mannered "put down" on some well known photographers.;) As regards the door photo, I can't...