The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

Hasselblad 24mm (or 25mm) f2.5V and 135mm f2.5V

I thought the content and style looked familiar. I just checked and found the old toothwalker.org URL sitting in one of my bookmark folders - what a great resource this was! Thanks to @TechTalk for pointing us to this page. John
  2. J

Hasselblad's aversion to red dots

Yes, same here. I place a waterproof circular label with the lens’s focal length written on it so I can quickly see which lens I’m grabbing out of the bag.
  3. J

True! Although at the end of the day, I am more interested in the performance coming out of the raw converter than what can be seen on the optical bench.
  4. J

I once did a back-to-back comparison of the 40 IF with the original XCD 3.5/45 on the 50 Mp 44x33 X1D; sharpness was comparable edge to edge. I previously owned a CF 4/50 FLE, which showed (I think) pretty significant field curvature on the full frame 54x40 sensor - a "feature" to bring...
  5. J

Agreed. Although there's no free lunch - while still stellar even by today's modern optical standards, the 40 IF introduces quite a bit of mustache distortion (not to mention a wee bit of LoCA if you pixel peep @ 100%). And it's a beast! John
  6. J

Gee, thanks, Matt. You're really not helping me here! Indeed I've been waffling all morning between "this new lens won't add range to my kit and won't replace the 21 and 30" to "ooooo, what a shiny new piece of kit, I can *add* it the kit and use the 25 when I don't want to haul along both the...
  7. J

Right, although as you mention the degradation may be academic and negligible for most use cases. Note that many if not most of the modern designs rely on pretty aggressive software corrections, which have become quite advanced and (I'm speculating) have freed up lens designers to make different...
  8. J

Looks like a nice lens, one that I would have already pre-ordered from @Steve Hendrix if I didn't already own the "legacy" XCD 4/21 and XCD 3.5/30 (both purchased used from two trusted GetDPI forum members). But who knows - if its performance is comparable in the field, the 25-V might be a good...
  9. J

xcd 38 experiences, and compared to 30 and 45

By my understanding, both of the following statements are true: A higher resolution sensor will not make the same lens perform worse. The resolving power of a lens may exceed that of the sensor - for example, a 50 Mp sensor may not reveal the full glory of a Rodenstock lens (agreeing with "you...
  10. J

xcd 38 experiences, and compared to 30 and 45

Actually, the higher resolution sensor will not make the performance of a particular lens look worse, provided you're comparing images - either on screen or in print - of the same final dimensions. Of course, you may discover flaws at 100 Mp that you didn't notice at 50Mp if you're pixel peeping...
  11. J

Hasselblad XCD 28P Focus Shift

Thanks to all for your replies. And apologies up front for sending anyone down some rabbit hole(s) looking for menu functions that existed only in my imagination. I just had a chance to take a closer look on my X2D and 907x-CFV100C (yes, I am one of those crazies who owns both). My findings...
  12. J

Thanks, Matt. Yes, there are settings for sensitivity as well (I think). I've tried a few different colors and futz with this a bit more. John
  13. J

Huh. The few times I've zoomed to 100% for manual focusing, the focus peaking seemed to disappear. I'll need to try again. What settings are you using? Thanks! John
  14. J

Fun with MF images 2024

Circle of Life by John Ngai, on Flickr 907x-CFV100C | XCD 3.2/90 | f/11 | 6-image focus stack I spent a nice morning this weekend with some good photography friends wandering around the Mt. Diablo foothills of the San Francisco East Bay Area. Shooting in broad daylight isn't really my thing...
  15. J

Mirrors, Viewfinders, Sensors, and Orientation

Matt, Thanks for the lesson. I think. TBH I wasn't confused about what I *thought* mirrors do until I read your last few posts. But I don't blame you - it's a miracle and perhaps a damning statement about the way that science is taught that I not only passed but received straight A's in...
  16. J

Behind the scenes

Not sure about the starfish, but isn’t the reason why the image in the camera obscura is not reversed left to right when viewing it a simple matter of perspective of the viewer? In other words, in this case you are viewing the image projected on the wall whereas in the case of the viewfinder you...
  17. J

Behind the scenes

Indeed! And amusingly, when I discovered the joys of flipping up the screen of the CFV back to use it like a waist level finder as I did way back in the day with my old 500 bodies, I became hopelessly confused orienting the camera as the image was not reversed! So yes, while it’s been a while...
  18. J

Hasselblad XV Lens Adapter Questions

Indeed, by default I use a lens collar/tripod foot that mounts to the XV lens adapter, in my case the one sold by ppl.de (similar to the Hasselblad XH/1.7TC collar, and last I checked probably out of production). I find the balance to be much better without the mass of the lens + adapter hanging...
  19. J

A macro lens for the view camera

The Hasselblad-Zeiss 120 Makro-Planar and S-Planar require extension tubes to get to 1:1. Without, I think they get down to maybe 1:5 (perhaps more - I’m not near my gear right now to check). I typically don’t use movements when shooting macro so can’t speak to usable image circle, but note that...
  20. J

Technical Camera Images

Hi Greg, Indeed, it is nice to get out with the camera, especially when other things in life get in the way. It's great to see that you haven't lost your touch! Unfortunately other events did get in my way last month so it was not practical to haul my gear with me to photograph this year's...