The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. MGrayson

Hasselblad's aversion to red dots

Well, it's possible, but putting the dot on the side is like pre-computing a result you need often (if you change lenses), and so is efficient coding.
  2. MGrayson

I'm fond of the Leica Q for that reason. 28/1.7 Macro. Stunning lens.
  3. MGrayson

Huh! Didn't notice the lens contacts. Nice! Another Method! Thank you.
  4. MGrayson

Hasselblad 24mm (or 25mm) f2.5V and 135mm f2.5V

Ah. Cosine to the fourth, and very clearly explained. I was aware of mechanical vignetting and cat's eye bokeh - it's hard to miss, but natural vignetting is less obvious. Thanks!
  5. MGrayson

Behind the scenes

Was the second image taken with the Speed Graphic? 😆
  6. MGrayson

The XCD lenses have NO protrusions or windows. They’re smooth except for the focusing ring. The new V lenses have a switch, but I don’t have any yet. Your UV glue method would be necessary. (And is a good idea for tactile feedback.)
  7. MGrayson

An invisible XF. I like it. I'm picturing an 8x10 Deardorff with black tape over the nameplate. People don't notice me when I put my tripod down next to them and quickly focus on the ground glass, insert the film carrier, take out the dark slide, and *click* for a candid portrait. :ROFLMAO:
  8. MGrayson

Yeah. the "hard to grab" bit bothered me a lot at first. Now I circle the base of the lens with thumb and first finger, press the lens release with the side of my finger, and twist. Seems to work well. A thick rubber band would also help.
  9. MGrayson

I do that with the rear caps. Of course, it means keeping them straight, but I also don't lose them that way. I tried putting labels directly on the rear elements, but it didn't work out so well.... :unsure: Matt
  10. MGrayson

I just spent an hour sticking little triangles onto the barrels of all my XCD lenses and adapters. Why? Because Hasselblad refuses to mark how to orient the lens for camera attachment without removing the rear cap, rotating the lens, and squinting until the tiny red dot shows up. The V lenses at...
  11. MGrayson

That's really interesting. I never thought about how vignetting could act to effectively reduce the aperture far from the center. Actually, even with a pinhole, it's pretty clear. The edges are further from the aperture, so its angular size is smaller. There's also the aperture appearing...
  12. MGrayson

And for a sense of ho much distortion correction is being applied, Hasselblad publishes the uncorrected distortion Here's the XCD 21/4 The XCD 25/2.5 And the XCD 28/4 The 21 and 25 look quite similar (and complex). The 28P's is smaller and simpler. The XCD 120 Macro, focused at 0.8m, has...
  13. MGrayson

Since de-mosaicing screws up resolution anyway, I'd love to see tests done on a monochrome sensor. Then we could really see the tradeoff between trying to eliminate distortion optically and digitally. I was going to claim that the Leica S 24/3.5 was big and heavy and distortion free, but I...
  14. MGrayson

Yes, as does LR. The whole imaging pipeline has optical and electronic steps. They've just moved geometric distortion control from the glass to the silicon. Lenses with flat fields and no distortion are wonderful, but have other compromises, e.g., the SK 35XL issues with the latest Hasselblad...
  15. MGrayson

John, I never considered the 30 a wide. The 28 barely qualifies. 😆 . The reason that the XCD lenses have no smearing (except for my first bad copy of the 28P) is because they don't have to worry about distortion. I think the Leica Q's miraculous lens (a 28mm f/1.7 Macro? Ridiculous!) works the...
  16. MGrayson

Distortion correction looks a lot better than corner smearing from sagittal/tangential differences (my opinion only). Matt
  17. MGrayson

John, As a long-time user of both the XCD 21/4 and the Leica S 24/3.5, I can attest that the focal lengths are *very* different. Sure, you keep a heck of a lot of pixels cropping from the 21mm FoV to a 24mm, but using the 21mm is an exercise in "I wasn't expecting THAT" during composition. The...
  18. MGrayson

Preordered from Capture Integration. B&H has it in stock, and I could walk there (ok, it's a long walk - I'd take the subway), but I don't want to reward Hasselblad for the way they've been treating their dealers.
  19. MGrayson

f/2.5 at that focal length is going to be big and heavy. I'm impressed that they went for it. The Fuji GF 23 is f/4 and the Leica S 24 is f/3.5. Hassy has the advantage of correcting geometric distortion in post, so that gives them some design flexibility, but still... And that lens cap...