The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. bensonga

Boring (redux)

Thanks for your post! After processing the color image to monochrome a few other ways, I decided that the version I posted here was actually my favorite. I did create a few that were boring to me, so I am printing this image now on the Red River Aurora Art White fine art matte paper for the...
  2. bensonga

Boring (redux)

The color version of this image contains various shades of blue, green and grey totes and is interesting to me, so I made prints of it for an upcoming print exchange. I'm working on monochrome versions now to see if I can find one worth printing. I sometimes like to submit both color and...
  3. bensonga

Why did you buy your latest camera?

Since this is not a Leica only question, in lieu of buying a Cambo Actus system (for now at least) I bought two more Canon TS-E lenses (the latest 50 and 90 macros, I already had the 24 II). I had every intention of using these lenses with my 5DS R and live view. Then Canon offered a $900...
  4. bensonga

Booklaunch Transitions in Spain

I just searched for your book on Amazon (US) and couldn't find it. As soon as it is available, I'll certainly purchase a copy. Gary
  5. bensonga

Fine Art Finisher/Printer

I know that making your own prints is not for everyone (as was the case for making prints in a wet darkroom), but I do think that many photographers who want to see their images on a print can get a great deal of satisfaction and excellent results with the pigment inkjet printers that have been...
  6. bensonga

Fine Art Finisher/Printer

Although I prefer to make my own archival pigment inkjet prints for sizes up to 17" wide on a wide variety of fine art papers, I had a few B&W prints made by Digital Silver Imaging from a 4x5 B&W negative film scan as "reference prints". I was impressed with the quality of their B&W prints. Gary
  7. bensonga

12x8 black & white printer in 2024.

For printers able to print a maximum width of 13" (up to A3) and using pigment inks, I think the Canon Pro-300 and Epson P700 are your best choices. Both printers are capable of making excellent color and B&W (ie without a "color cast") prints. I see prints made from Canon and Epson printers...
  8. bensonga

Boring (redux)

Anchorage officially had record breaking snow falls during November and December. 89 inches at the airport. Easily 100+ inches where I live in the mountains north of Anchorage. That was a lot of snow to shovel. We caught a break from more snow in the first few weeks of January, only received...
  9. bensonga

Changes coming

I am a long time GetDPI user who has enjoyed the forum and felt comfortable sharing my images (most were not artistic, noteworthy etc and none great) and thoughts/experiences here. I already subscribe to and pay for many photography related magazines/publications and forums. I prefer to see...
  10. bensonga

Changes coming

Well said Jeff! It is this community of photographers, using a wide variety of equipment to produce and share images, experience and technical assistance, that makes GetDPI special for many of us.
  11. bensonga

Changes coming

I agree with Jorgen's earlier comment. While GetDPI had a strong focus on medium format (especially MF digital) and technical issues early on, it is absolutely NOT the case that it has ALWAYS been so. The topics, images etc shared on this forum have evolved over the years and benefited from...
  12. bensonga

Print Fotos Typ of Paper Recommendation

I have been making inkjet prints since 2001. I have participated in (and now coordinate) print exchanges on a monthly, bi-monthly and quarterly frequency since April 2002 with participants from across the globe, so I have seen fine art prints made on many different papers. There are so many...
  13. bensonga

Boring (redux)

This is what I had in mind too when I selected a few images to share. I can certainly understand that some photographers would also post images that they themselves decided were boring. Gary
  14. bensonga

Boring (redux)

I’m sure there are others here besides MGrayson and myself who like your knife pictures. I’m sure that he even understands the complexity of the set up and gear (including lighting) you used to make this picture. 👍👍
  15. bensonga

Boring (redux)

My favorite of these two images is certainly the plants behind the grating. A very interesting image which makes me want to know more about it. Gary
  16. bensonga

Boring (redux)

This photo is definitely NOT boring to me! Gary
  17. bensonga

Boring (redux)

Of the many excellent “boring” photos that have been shared here, this is one of my favorites! I especially enjoyed your back story. :) Gary
  18. bensonga

Boring (redux)

Many of the images I like which others see as quite boring have been taken when I am testing a new camera or lens. That was the case for these photos taken in January 2021 with a Zeiss ZM 25mm (from Lens Rentals) on my Leica MP240. I didn't care for the results well enough to buy the lens at...
  19. bensonga

Boring (redux)

As a general guideline I think this is a very good one. That said, I like many of the boring photos that have been shared here, so I should not be included in the “others” reference group.
  20. bensonga

Boring (redux)

On a more serious note, here is image that I like, but when I've shown a print of it to friends and asked for their opinion I am often asked some version of this question: "Why did you take this photo?" Perhaps this counts as some version of it's so "boring". Gary