The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm lens for S1r

eddystone

I like “vintage “ style lenses, which drew me to the idea of the Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron II M mount with an adapter ( I have a couple of screw mount Leica bodies but don’t see me getting an M Leica for the immediate future). I don’t mind manual focusing but with a dumb adapter M to L adapter , e.g. Novoflex, would I not have stop down metering only? That may be a step too far and perhaps better and cheaper option would be Sigma 35/2 DG DN Contemporary. On paper the Voigtlander 35/2 Apo Lanthar is sharpest but that’s before taking into account possible smearing due to thickness of S1R sensor stack.

bensonga

I have the Sigma 45/2.8 DG DN Contemporary and have been very happy with it. Excellent build quality, size, feel, optics and results. Haven’t used it on my S1R but it works great on my SL and S1. I am probably going to add a few more of the DG DN Contemporary lenses to my L-mount collection. While I too enjoy using manual focus vintage/legacy etc glass on mirrorless cameras, it is nice to have open aperture metering and the EXIF data, so that is a real plus for the DG DN Contemporary vs the VC lenses.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I like “vintage “ style lenses, which drew me to the idea of the Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron II M mount with an adapter ( I have a couple of screw mount Leica bodies but don’t see me getting an M Leica for the immediate future). I don’t mind manual focusing but with a dumb adapter M to L adapter , e.g. Novoflex, would I not have stop down metering only? That may be a step too far and perhaps better and cheaper option would be Sigma 35/2 DG DN Contemporary. On paper the Voigtlander 35/2 Apo Lanthar is sharpest but that’s before taking into account possible smearing due to thickness of S1R sensor stack.
All of that is certainly an option and it’s also worth considering the Sigma i series 35/2 lens as well.