The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50mm for use on RF Mount

anyone

Hi there,

I'm thinking whether I should invest in a new 50mm lens. I shoot almost exclusively landscape and like the 50mm focal length. That said, mostly I'm using my lenses around f8 on full frame.
Currently I own am EF 50mm 1.4 and Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART. The former I use a lot, the latter really seldom, partly because of its weight, but more importantly I tend to somewhat dislike its colours.

With the new RF mount, new options emerge, such as the RF 50mm 1.2 and RF 50mm 1.8 - very different lenses indeed. Also the TS-E 50mm is existing.

With the RF 50mm 1.8, I most likely could achieve a smaller kit. But what about micro contrast etc. compared to the RF 50mm 1.2 and TS-E 50mm? Since 50mm is my favourite focal length, I'm willing to invest in the best solution for my needs.

Thank you!

jdphoto

I used both the RF 50mm 1.2 and the EF version. However, I was specifically interested in performance at f/1.2. I ended up selling the RF 50mm and purchased the EF 35mm T/S instead. The RF was slightly better at the edges and with CA, but at f/5.6 to f/8, I think the only difference is price. If you're specifically shooting landscapes, I think the EF 50mm T/S would be very useful considering you can employ the Scheimpflug principle.