The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And donā€™t forget to say hi!

AstrHori 40mm f/5.6 GFX ... šŸ„

Makten

I didn't understand the purpose of their 55/5.6 when it was released, because of the similarity to the GF 50/3.5. But at 40 mm, this makes a lot more sense.
I've been using the GF 80 a lot lately and a minimal 40 mm lens could be a nice complement for "what if" moments. :)

anyone

The Canon EF40mm works well for that purpose, if one can live with soft corners. Iā€™ll be waiting for the first reviews of this lens, whether it performs better in the corners or not. If it does better, it could be interesting.

Makten

The Canon EF40mm works well for that purpose, if one can live with soft corners. Iā€™ll be waiting for the first reviews of this lens, whether it performs better in the corners or not. If it does better, it could be interesting.
From what I've seen, the Canon isn't good enough for my taste. It also requires an expensive adapter, which makes it less convenient (unless you have other EF lenses of course).

anyone

From what I've seen, the Canon isn't good enough for my taste. It also requires an expensive adapter, which makes it less convenient (unless you have other EF lenses of course).
I have the adapter already since I own a kit of EF lenses. Since I almost always crop the frame to either square or 2:1 / 65:24, the quality is actually pretty good. Just the extreme corners are unacceptable, but since I anyways do not have them in the final picture, it doesn't matter to me that much.

Makten

Well, here are the MTF's at least. Doesn't look like it will be very sharp in the corners, but it doesn't say at what aperture this is...

Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 22.58.12.png

Edit: This is a bit strange; there seem to be an M mount version that is a lot smaller: https://astrhori.com/40mmf56cpym

Knorp

I guess you guys don't want to watch yet another unboxing video, right ? Good, I thought so too ... ;)

BTW the GF50's hood fits nicely - cool !