The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Atmospheric Phenomena

Duff photographer

Howdo all,

We don't have a thread for photographs of stuff that happens above our heads. So here it is.

This thread is intended to be a depository for all things that happen in our atmosphere - thunder storms, meteors, sprites, tornadoes, cloud formations, etc. The only thing not allowed, if I may be permitted to lay some ground rules, are sunsets and sunrises because they really are low hanging fruit and too many gets a bit boring, unless of course they form part of another atmospheric phenomena.

I shall start with the Aurora Borealis...

At about 6p.m. GMT, on the 9th May 2024, a Coronal Mass Ejection occurred. This has since hit the Earth as a class G4 Geomagnetic Storm (severe) and I believe it is the strongest since 2005. At a latitude of about 47 degrees above the equator, we don't normally get to see any Aurora. I thought, one day I'll have to head up north, way north, to get a chance of seeing one. However, one saved me the trip and came to me this evening and was remarkable in that, even this far south in Continental Europe (mid-France), I could see colour. Please note to those who have never witnessed an Aurora Borealis or Australis, they are never as intense as seen in numerous photo's and videos. A lot of the time, one is not able to detect colour, a little like astro-photography in that regard where most things appear smudgy grey until you photograph them. Anyway, enough waffle...

You'll have to forgive the setting (from the back garden). Would be nice if it was mountains or something as classy.

Aurora-Borealis-10-05-2024-web.jpg

Looking north. Strong enough for the 'curtains' to be seen. . Around 22.15 local time.

Aurora-Borealis-2---10-05-2024-web.jpg

The edge, looking west. Around 23.00 local time.

Nikon D780. Zeiss ZF 25mm. 30 seconds at f4. ISO 1250 and 2000 respectively. Processed from JPEG's (can't open RAW files in Photoshop 6 so...). Straight out of camera, with a simple curves adjustment.

Cheers,
Duff..

Last edited:

Duff photographer

Okay...

...then it really got going. Strong enough to cast shadows. This event was classed as a G5 (extreme) by NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center, the strongest since 2003. I was just lucky enough to be watching and photographing it when it hit. Must have been quite the something further north!

Please note that the only adjustment made to the in-camera jpegs was a basic curves adjustment. Vibrance, saturation, etc. were banned.

Aurora-Borealis-3---11-05-2024-web.jpg

Aurora-Borealis-6---11-05-2024-web.jpg

A terrible composition, but the lights were peaking overhead and needed to be photographed before they disappeared.

Aurora-Borealis-5---11-05-2024-web.jpg

Ursa Major just left of centre.

Aurora-Borealis-4---11-05-2024-web.jpg

An experimental composition. Very experimental cos' it was dark and I couldn't really compose.

Nikon D780. Zeiss ZF 25mm. 30 seconds at f4. ISO 1250 to 2000. Processed from JPEG's (can't open RAW files in Photoshop 6 so...). Straight out of camera, with a simple curves adjustment.

Cheers,
Duff.

Last edited: