The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Beginner Digital View Camera

Jacksnap8

Hello,

I'm looking to build a View camera setup for shooting product photography in a studio setting, and I'm having trouble building out a camera.

A few photographers I follow on instagram have told me they use a sinar p2/p3 with Leaf backs and Sinaron Digtal lenses, but I've also been curious about the Linhof 2x3 M 679.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a build that I could setup for under $3000. I mostly shoot on a 100mm macro lens when using full frame so I would love to stay in that area when switching to a larger digital back.

Any recommendations or places to find more information on the subject would be appreciated!

anyone

I owned a M679CS. I'm not experienced in product photography, but the camera is very nice with very precise movements that are really made for the small tolerances of digital photography. The camera requires specific lens boards that are a little expensive. It might not matter much if you plan to stay with one lens, but if you go for many, then it might become a factor. It shares the same accessories on the back standard as the Linhof Techno (sliding backs, ... I have one for sale if you need one for Hasselblad V :) ).

Linhof's own website has a comprehensive PDF about the system: https://linhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/M679_e.pdf
And a video that shows the movements:

From what I read about the Sinar, it is a precise tool but made for 4x5". How well it works with the digital tolerances? I don't know, someone else needs to comment on it.

For your price considerations, it may be realistic without a digital back included, depending very much on the lenses.

Last edited:

RodK

Look at the Arca-Swiss Universalis. It is a precise modular camera for either digital backs or Mirrorless DSLRs. Very light and compact with most movements geared.

Shashin

I have used a Linhof CS679. Excellent camera in the studio and works well with a digital back. Area-Swiss make great cameras as well. You can also look at the Cambo Actus line.

P. Chong

I don’t have direct experience either, but understand the Sinar P3 has finer control and is meant for smaller format than the P2 which is 4x5 and larger.

From what I read about the Sinar, it is a precise tool but made for 4x5". How well it works with the digital tolerances? I don't know, someone else needs to comment on it.

For your price considerations, it may be realistic without a digital back included, depending very much on the lenses.

Geoff

Look at the Linhof Techno - used ones may be avail in your price range. Set up a bit more for digital than the 679, although adapter plates likely pricey. Am presently trying digital backs on older wooden view cameras, using simple adapter plates. Doesn't work for stitching (can't align well enough), but for general shooting (say f11-16), its quite good enough!

RodK

You might look at the Arca-Swiss M-Two or Universalis. The first is fully geared and using movements does not alter the perspective. The Universalis, having rise on Both the front and rear, will alter perspective a bit if rise or fall used on the front, but very light and compact. Adapters for most mirrorless cameras and as they are modular, formats up to 4x5, as well as digital backs, as well as sheet film, and film roll backs, are also available.

Rod

TechTalk

I don’t have direct experience either, but understand the Sinar P3 has finer control and is meant for smaller format than the P2 which is 4x5 and larger.
There is a Sinar p3-df model with "digital fine focus drives". Sinar also offers a digital fine focus upgrade service for owners of p2 and x models.

The upgrade service may also include some repairs as needed due to regular wear and tear and are included in a flat rate. Details are contained in the links above.