The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Center Filter Color compensation/correction

4x5

Hello. Quick question.
Will a center filter in any way compensate for color distortion due to exaggerated shifting? I am assumings the answer is no, but Ive never tried one.

thanks.

f8orbust

No, it simply deals with evening out brightness by holding back light towards the center of the image circle.

What you're referring to sounds more like lens cast (e.g. a green cast in one corner of the image and a magenta in the other) and that can often be dealt with by undertaking lens cast calibration - shooting a calibration plate image and then taking it into something like Capture One and letting it work its magic (which it does very well). Here's a good explanation.

4x5

Thanks. Thats what I assumed. Im familiar with the LCC process, but when working analog Its not a super big problem, he 4x5s is quite forgiving, My IQ150 however has crazy color shifting. But like you said, Capture one and a LCC solves everything :)

Shashin

Are you talking about film or digital? Center filters work much better with film in regards to color. Lens cast, where there is a color shift towards the edges of the image, is basically a digital issue. Film can show a color shift, but it is a yellow-blue shift which appears more natural than the magenta-green shift of digital. But the color shift in film is much harder to see.

4x5

Well, originally about film on a 4x5. When I have to shoot digital I always do a LCC. Just wanted to know if the Center filter somehow also affected the colors.

Consider the case closed :) Thanks for all the replies.