The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 Digital Back suggestions

rollsman44

I am in the process of getting the C 645 body with 80mm lens Mainly I shoot Portraits with Flash.
Can you recommend a DB that I can shoot ISO 100 or 200 thats Clean NO Noise.
Thanks I am venturing into a New Project. P.S I am attaching a image from my Pentax 645Z. Now you can see one of my images. TY

Attachments

Last edited:

tcdeveau

There are not many options for Contax digital backs, you’re more likely going to have to buy what’s available or you could end waiting a loooooong time for what you want.

Mexecutioner

Sorry to say, but for what you want to do that’s not the best choice. Also be prepared to pay a premium for whatever back comes up for sale. The asking prices are usually way higher than Hassy or Mamiya /XF mount Due to scarcity of backs in that mount.

FloatingLens

There will be noise in the shadows with a CCD back. A Phase One P+ Series back can be clean at quarter resolution mode. If that is not good enough, I suppose you need to look into a CMOS based back from Phase One. Look for the Phase One P series.

drevil

Staff member
I am in the process of getting the C 645 body with 80mm lens Mainly I shoot Portraits with Flash.
Can you recommend a DB that I can shoot ISO 100 or 200 thats Clean NO Noise.
Thanks I am venturing into a New Project.
Iq150/250 have clean cmos sensors and live view, but comes with a crop factor

what is this new project? Outdoors? Studio with flashes?

FloatingLens

I am happy for any new Contax 645 user, even if only a temporary one. Alas, it is not the final cure to GAS… ;)

Duff photographer

As tcdeveau says, options are very scarce and those that pop up for sale are quickly snapped up for high prices. In addition, none of the back makers produce anything in the C645 mount any more so your options are limited to used CMOS backs if you want NO noise. These are even scarcer. A Phase One P65+ is perhaps the best option. I've personally never seen a newer IQ back in C645 mount pop up for sale in the last 10 years (although I'm sure they have). However, if you're using studio flash, you may get away with a CCD sensor, but it can only be used at 50 or 100 ISO. Such sensors are getting on a bit.

If you want to to use the Contax Zeiss lenses (and why wouldn't you) then either go with the Fujifilm GFX or a CMOS Leica S with adapter. The latter two will be cheaper, newer, less bulky, less heavy, and produce the results you are looking for.

Cheers,
Duff.

tcdeveau

As tcdeveau says, options are very scarce and those that pop up for sale are quickly snapped up for high prices. In addition, none of the back makers produce anything in the C645 mount any more so your options are limited to used CMOS backs if you want NO noise. These are even scarcer. A Phase One P65+ is perhaps the best option. I've personally never seen a newer IQ back in C645 mount pop up for sale in the last 10 years (although I'm sure they have). However, if you're using studio flash, you may get away with a CCD sensor, but it can only be used at 50 or 100 ISO. Such sensors are getting on a bit.

If you want to to use the Contax Zeiss lenses (and why wouldn't you) then either go with the Fujifilm GFX or a CMOS Leica S with adapter. The latter two will be cheaper, newer, less bulky, less heavy, and produce the results you are looking for.

Cheers,
Duff.
Another forum member in the last 2-3 years was able to hunt down a contax mount IQ180, but it took them like two years or something like that to find one.

buildbot

He buys and sells cameras, never seen a photo from him....

john
A sampling -

Yeah I don't know what's going on either. I am trying to be kind...

Duff photographer

Thank you Duff. After serious consideration.....I will NOT get a C 645. I am happy with my Pentax 645Z and Hassy X1D2
Thank you for your input AND I added a Photo to this post.
No worries. Those two cameras, while being old in some eyes, are as good as anything around at the moment. Angels on a pin head and all that. These and other cameras will outperform the photographer in most cases.

As an aside, I used to own a C645 (for film) but sold it when I was told digital 35mm was better than MF film. It wasn't, of course, as I found out when I made the comparisons, but by then it was too late, the C645 had already gone. I did consider re-buying one, but the extortionate prices they go for now, the lack of repair/parts back-up, the scarcity of the digital back (if I wanted to go that route) as already explained, were enough to bring me to my senses.

Cheers,
Duff.

OliverM

I had 3 backs for my C645 : Sinar54lv, Leaf75 and P65+
My preferred one for colors, tone, texture, is Sinar.
Its 22 MPix might seem to be a limitation, but cropped 100%, images still look like uncropped, so much better than a 50MPix 35mm camera.
P65+ had the advantage of higher iso, lighter weight, better screen and UI, very good texture but less natural colors.
The system is too heavy for me now. I got a X1d2 that is more convenient, more versatile, iso, dynamic range, etc. Not better IQ, it has its own character, very nice, but Sinar is again more natural.
I tend to think, if you need a modern back, take a modern camera. If you look for most beautiful natural colors and film-like look, can carry a C645, then consider the sinar.
I did some wedding photography for the family, with Nikon, Sony, Contax/Sinar and X1D. Best pictures are from Contax/Sinar. Cannot work for a full wedding.
I made maybe 30 great pictures of my son and family with it, that make it the best investment I ever made.

I still have a full combo (only the 80mm has some kind of funguns I guess, 45, 55, 120 are fantastic, the 210 I almost never used because of size, I even have 2 backs as I bought a back-up), I tried to sell some years back, full set for 3500k€ I think, but didn’t find interest at that time. Maybe I should list it again.