The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Free agent. X2D vs GFX

Earlstone

I don’t own a medium format digital camera. I have some full frame (Z9, Leica M11M, film cameras). I think the X2D colors look fantastic. I love the build factor and simplicity. I stalled on purchasing to see what Fuji would do (gave up on Leica years ago, had several S systems). I also get a discount on all things Fuji so that’s an influence. But now they’re both out, side by side. I handled both and well, they’re so different. I only do stills. Environmental portraits of family, friends. Like a Leica M approach but with auto focus. I love my Z9 and the ability to lock onto an eye and focus on composition. So much so that I rarely use my Leica in comparison. Blank slate, for glass options, color manipulation of raw files, usability which way are you all leaning. I feel like if I go Fuji it could almost replace my Z and I would just need something small like my Leica or some smaller FF camera for portability. I feel like the X2D could be a companion like my Leica and I would keep my Z or the like for speed. Just a hobbyist.

tenmangu81

I've tried the Fuji GFX 100S and compared with the X1D II, a little more than 2 years ago when I decided to switch from Leica (M240) to MF. I chose Hasselblad, because it looked much like Leica (less is more !), and with incredible colours and files. I found Fuji full of buttons. And heavy and not so easy to manage. It was MY choice. The X1D II is really fantastic. But I don't use it to shoot kids or animals, it's not my cup of tea (and my children are not as young as dozens of years ago...).
If you want to "lock onto an eye" and simultaneously use a "light" system, then stick with your Z9.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Neither stick to the gear you have.
I have to agree. Not that I would actually DO that :LOL: .

If the MF bug has gotten you, then all I can say is try both systems. The GFX will NOT replace your Nikon. It's fast only by MF standards. But handling and color are very different between the Fuji and Hassy, and while I prefer the Leica S to both in many ways, the convenience of the Hassy (and its lovely colors) make it an easy compromise. For ME. Others come to exactly the opposite conclusion.

Thorkil

Stick to your Z9 or swap it for a Z8 for less size and weight and then get a X2D together with the Z, and perhaps just a XCD 21/4, P45 and a 90.
You will then be a happy mann, that don't need anything more in your life...
'KR Thorkil

Earlstone

I was going to write that, but I didn't want to ramble options. Z8 for speed and tech. X2D for colors and simplicity. The latter replacing my M do a degree (I'll always have my MP .58).

Back to the colors. I love Nikon colors and absolutely loved the S 006 colors. Is it of the popular opinion that the X2D is still the best current camera for color quality even over the new GFX100II? Thank you guys.

Thorkil

PS. considering the XCD 90 lens, go for the "old" f3.2
I dont have the X2D nor the GFX100II, just the X1D, but all around it says nothing compares to the Hasselblad colours and tonality

Paul Spinnler

As an optional scenario, you could also stick to what you have, invest in M glass, and wait for the S4 mirrorless which now seemingly is scheduled for 2025 ... according to Leicarumors (and what I heard too recently from insiders). If money is no object and / or time / current enjoyment are a priority then it is ofc a different question. Just mentioning it because a decision for a system entails follow-on costs with lenses, etc.

S4 will expecteldy be compatible with all Leica lenses which is quite cool (M, L, S vintage and S mirrorless).

Next year we'll have the SL3 – 60 megapixels, new autofocus, 8k video, log, new EVF, etc. Leica design.

So Leica spaces out the releases to have sth to show for each year.

Last edited:

Thorkil

PPS. not that I want to be insisting, but, if you go the X2D route, then take a look at this rehearsal of a Hasselblad Webinar with Lead Optical Designer Per Norlund from Hasselblad in Göteborg
Go to 50.30 minute and continue until 53.30 minute where he mention the 21/4 (which had twice as good Coma-result as the competion at that time) the 30 which he consider as a lens with very good result, the P45 (remarked for compactness and light weight together with very high performance) and the 90/3.2 where he remarks that he really like the look from pictures taken with that lens.

If you want to look a bit more at 90/3.2 pictures which can show this lens' very nice characteristics, then take a look here:

Thorkil

Last edited:

Rand47

For the use-case you describe, I don’t think you need a medium format camera at all. And certainly not 102 megapixels. Unless you exhibit your portraits and other work printed LARGE. Or . . . often have a need to crop pretty severely and still have enough resolution, say, for a 16x20” print. I have processed and printed from Z9 files and it is more than up to your use-case, and is faster and more responsive in every way. I processed and printed a 16x20 portrait, shot with the Z9 and Nocht, and it is truly a thing of beauty. Don’t know what lenses you have for your Z9 system but the Nocht and/or the 85 1.2 are fabulous, and investing further in the excellent new Nikkor optics might give you more capability than any money you could throw at a medium format system.

Rand

SrMphoto

A bit of an unorthodox view:

You want 100MP either if you print large or if you don't print :). When your final output is the processed raw, there is something very satisfying when pixel-peeping a well-executed 100MP raw file.
Also, MF is good if you like post-processing, as the MF files are very malleable.

JeffK

Stick with your Z9. That's your end game. The problem isn't the gear. It's you and your lack of acceptance that what you have is enough.

Stay with me here. You, Me, and most likely most of the folks on this forum on a regular basis suffer from the same issue. We don't know when enough is enough. We call it GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) as a joke, but it's no joke. It's the same dopamine hit that is provided by drug addiction, alcohol, gambling etc...

I was even tempted to ask you what you wanted for your M11M!!!! But I don't need it. I already have an XF/IQ3 100 Achromatic. I don't need a rangefinder anymore. I went through my street photography phase a decade ago. Had a Bessa, then M6, then 2xM2's, then M4, then M8, then M9, then M9M, then M10, (back to film with an M3 for a bit), then a Ricoh GR for a bit, then IQ260A, now IQ3 100A. Also had some Hassy 500's, a Mamiya 7, a Shen Hao 4x5. (Only shot BW and developed my own film)

My printers went from an R3000 - 13x19 to a 4800 - 17x22, now I have a 7800 - 24x???. Fortunately I learned how to dilute Matte black ink myself so my ink costs are low.

I think I've finally proven to myself I can make a good picture and print. I'm ready to just stick with my iPhone 14 moving forward.

The prints below were shot on an ALPA tech frame with the 70mm Alpagon SB17. Top image was the IQ260A, bottom was with the IQ3 100A. I don't have it here, but I've shot some really nice images with an iPhone 8 and printed to 13x19.

IMG_9579.jpeg

Last edited:

rdeloe

Stay with me here. You, Me, and most likely most of the folks on this forum on a regular basis suffer from the same issue. We don't know when enough is enough. We call it GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) as a joke, but it's no joke. It's the same dopamine hit that is provided by drug addiction, alcohol, gambling etc...
You are revealing the forbidden knowledge! Apostate! ;)

You're not wrong though. For people who like shopping and buying new things, photography is the gift that keeps on giving. There are so many bits and bobs and toys and trinkets one can buy.

When the GAS topic came up before on some other forum, some previous time, I speculated that surely other visual artists don't have this problem. I couldn't imagine web sites where people who paint fight over which brand of brushes is the best, with dedicated forums for brush brands. Someone who actually knows the painting community chimed in to say that painters do in fact obsess about gear too. But it has to be a matter of degree. I don't see how painting can come close to being in photography's league when it comes to gear and GAS.

I used to enjoy being on the Large Format Photography Forum because it was extremely difficult to squabble about gear. With exceptions like companies such as Intrepid, nobody was making new cameras, and certainly nobody was making new large format lenses. Whenever a newbie would ask the inevitable "Which lens is best?" question, some experienced person would take their turn and say, "Schneider-Kreuznach, Rodenstock, Fuji, Nikkor -- they're re all fine. You won't be able to tell the difference. Just pick one and get shooting".

Unfortunately, there's endless new stuff to shop for, buy and obsess about in digital photography. Ask me how I know. ;) Thankfully, I really, truly, honestly -- scout's honour -- believe I have what I need and can't do much better without spending a huge amount of money. When I get the itch, I try to ground myself by remembering that I don't need better equipment, I need better ideas. Repeat after me....

Last edited:

Earlstone

I appreciate the input. I do. I don’t have GAS as much as I’m addicted to glass. The top shelf Nikkor lenses old and new appeal to me as much as the GF 55 1.7 or XC 55 or 35 M APO. The S 100 Summicron was INSANE to use. The glass inspires me like a paint brush to a painter. Then the camera that can utilize them takes it further. In cinema the mounts allow you to use ALL types of lenses on equal terms. That’s a GFX pro as well as Nikon (plays nice with Leica). Maybe I’m stuck on thinking I can find the perfect companion to really have a serious relationship with. The T3 or G2 or Mamiya 7 in digital. It’s not possible of course. A camera whore can never settle down. But I am trying. I love Nikon more than any other system in years. Regardless of print size or no printing at all- digital files can feel like a video game for me. I enjoy the richest file to move around. To nail exposure and composition enough to create which is what matters most- creativity, expression. Back to painter analogies, is the brush of the simplistic X2D as beautiful as the versatility of the GFX100II? I’m chasing ultimate color and optical harmony. You can chill with the GAS or I need a therapist dialogue 😂.

Paul Spinnler

The S100 can be adapted to GFX with the GFX S adapter. Only adapter available for S glass on other systems outside Leica.

S100 is magnificent, besting all legends – 110 2.0, etc.

rdeloe

I appreciate the input. I do. I don’t have GAS as much as I’m addicted to glass. The top shelf Nikkor lenses old and new appeal to me as much as the GF 55 1.7 or XC 55 or 35 M APO. The S 100 Summicron was INSANE to use. The glass inspires me like a paint brush to a painter. Then the camera that can utilize them takes it further. In cinema the mounts allow you to use ALL types of lenses on equal terms. That’s a GFX pro as well as Nikon (plays nice with Leica). Maybe I’m stuck on thinking I can find the perfect companion to really have a serious relationship with. The T3 or G2 or Mamiya 7 in digital. It’s not possible of course. A camera whore can never settle down. But I am trying. I love Nikon more than any other system in years. Regardless of print size or no printing at all- digital files can feel like a video game for me. I enjoy the richest file to move around. To nail exposure and composition enough to create which is what matters most- creativity, expression. Back to painter analogies, is the brush of the simplistic X2D as beautiful as the versatility of the GFX100II? I’m chasing ultimate color and optical harmony. You can chill with the GAS or I need a therapist dialogue 😂.
I am now going to make it worse for you. If you love your Mamiya 7 lenses, you can use them on GFX.
  1. Option 1 is to use the Fotodiox adapter. No modification to the lenses is needed.
  2. Option 2 is to hack them by removing the shutter and other extraneous bits and building a suitable adapter.
I've gone Option 2. I use Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses on my F-Universalis outfit. That works with any digital camera that can mount to an F-Universalis. But I also built a mount that lets me use the Mamiya 7 lenses directly on the GFX camera. I do it rarely because I prefer working off a tripod with the F-Universalis, but it's nice to be able to put those amazing Mamiya 7 lenses on a simple adapter and go.

I went with Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses for my setup because of practical reasons (small, light, high quality, big image circle). I wasn't expecting to enjoy them this much for their rendering and for their mechanics and design.

cunim

I appreciate the input. I do. I don’t have GAS as much as I’m addicted to glass.
Aha. This I understand. I think the people here are being merciful. Most of them have lots of experience with really good glass, but they are not tempting you with it. It is out there. Buying it will break your budget and carrying it will sprain your muscles. It will give you nothing practical in return because this kit will not make you a better photographer. Most people you show your work to will not see the difference. But if you are truly a glass addict, it will make sense, I suggest you rent an IQ4 150 back, a tech camera, and a Rodenstock 90 or 138 (especially the 138). Then decide.