The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 100s and Capture One and RAW

BFD

Just playing around with GFX 100s. One thing I have never used on any camera before are the preprogrammed styles. But the Film Simulation styles on the 100s are pretty cool. But in Capture One, it seems like that style is baked into the RAW file? Is this right? If not, how can I have Capture One show me what the actual RAW file looks like without the Film Simulation?

Ray Harrison

I'm not in front of a laptop right now but try the different Curve settings under Base Characteristics in the Color tab. I believe Capture One uses Film Standard as its default curve normally. But it does try and pull in whatever you had set in camera for certain Fuji models. Linear Response will give you a very flat profile and that can be a good place to start in certain situations, but "Film Standard" is generally the default.

BFD

I'm not in front of a laptop right now but try the different Curve settings under Base Characteristics in the Color tab. I believe Capture One uses Film Standard as its default curve normally. But it does try and pull in whatever you had set in camera for certain Fuji models. Linear Response will give you a very flat profile and that can be a good place to start in certain situations, but "Film Standard" is generally the default.
That was it, thanks. I can't seem to find anything on my own in C1 anymore.

Makten

There is always an interpretation of the data, because if you'd only "translate" the raw straight from the sensor to something visible it would look totally green (there are twice as many green as red and blue pixels on the sensor), pixelated and very dark. The raw converter needs to interpolate individual colors for each pixel and at least apply a gamma curve, and adjust color balance away from green.
So, even "linear response" is heavily processed. I think "film standard" is more or less how C1 would show the file if they weren't collaborating with Fuji. Still heavily processed as well but not in line with how Fuji JPG's look like.

I personally like the colors of "film standard" better than the Fuji profiles, but unfortunately there is a lot less latitude in the highlights for recovery. Looks very similar to my old Sony a7 II in Adobe camera raw.