The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Growing concern over availability of XCD (older style) and New V lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Spinnler

There you go. Its a full-on retail strategy they've put in place. Means you'll have drone shops with Hasselblad corners everywhere in a few years. It also means the US market is next as its the big one. NYC, Dallas, Chicago, SF, Miami, LA, Atlanta, etc. - you basically sell X2Ds where you'd sell Leica Ms, targeting the same clientele. Probably one can just look up the Leica store map to make a prediction where the DJI shops will pop up.

At least Leica will put up a formidable fight with the new S4 which will give them some headaches from a competitive stance.

I hear APO F2.0 optics across the focal range and 2025 design era advances in the construction + optics meaning super fast AF through smart design of optical groups and next gen AF motors are coming. The SL lenses are mid 2010s and the SL APO lenses 2017 designs (if memory serves me right), so the next gen will incorporate the best Leica can deliver.

This prosumer luxury approach also explains why no one really cares if a few SK lens users complain; implementing AF for the prosumer crowd is most likely more important for the product on a 9:1 demand basis. I cannot imagine, literally, that you'd be able to discuss Rodenstock HR glass in a DJI Hasselblad high street store with a 20 something store clerk who never handled a digital back.

Last edited:

Thyl

and from the same distrbutor, another DJI store in Vienna, AT, to open today. And I bet will soon be expanded to Hasselblad:

Paul Spinnler

I mean when I look at the dealer list in Switzerland I see the smallest stores ever on the list and for the US somehow only the big players. That's for sure part of the agreements with these players. That's market manipulation.

On the list above: some of these shops are DJI only, meaning drones. What's new is that they combine the bigger locations into Hasselblad and DJI shops. Clearly DJI calls the shots here. I wonder if the US rollout is paused because of DJI's fears around being banned. There were some bills being prepated from the Republicans which would impact DJI I understand, but not following that atm.

How shoud you, if you can't find a dealer on the website, know that a shop around the corner can also order the cameras. Its like with Google. If you are not found, you don't exist.

Not being listed and on top being disadvantaged on the supply side is ... I don't want to word it.

hcubell

[QUOTE="Paul Spinnler, post: 904806, member: 4323"

There's only Diglloyd left ... he's not getting flown in anywhere.
[/QUOTE]
But if you want negative, this is the go to place. You won't be disappointed. He is already working up a head of steam about the SL3, and he doesn't even have one in for review yet.

Paul Spinnler

After I wrote that I looked at his website again - had a subscription a decade ago – and then I realized that he can get worked up massively about sharpness of actually good lenses and so he's maybe also not the most balanced source of information, especially since he also likes to include value for money into that equation.

And let's be honest SL's AF is not up to par with the top players in 35mm - the lenses are its main attraction ...

By the value for money measure (price / AF) you can just buy Sony and be done with it, lol. I mean glad he doesn't get worked up about P1 prices.

Last edited:

TechTalk

What lens or lenses are you looking to buy? Hasselblad is a relatively small low volume manufacturer with production which gets spread and allocated around the world and around various countries. So, depending on what you're trying to find it may be relatively easy or difficult to find it. You may want to try some of the smaller lower profile dealers if you don't want to wait for a backorder to be filled from wherever you usually purchase. As is often the case, the latest equipment is generally in highest demand and may be more difficult to find.

As of this particular moment, I see some of the following lenses you mentioned showing as in stock and available from various sources:

XCD 38V — *[updated below] Ace Photo currently shows this in stock at their Ashburn, Virginia (Washington DC Metro Area) location.

XCD 55V — *[updated below] Camera West currently shows this in stock at their Rancho Mirage, California location.

XCD 90V — This is the latest lens to ship (about 4 months ago) and will be the hardest to find in stock right now. When it first shipped, it was readily available to order for awhile but this might be one where you'd have to wait for a new production run. You might try K&R PhotoDigital in the Cincinnati Metro Area. I've found a few hard to find high-end items there and the husband and wife team, Wilma and Rob Kumler, who own it are delightful to talk with anytime.

XCD 28P — Pretty much like the XCD 90V lens as far as I can tell. If you want one I think you would need to place an order and wait for the next production run.

XCD 35–75 mm Zoom — Adorama currently shows this in stock online with free 2-Day shipping. Pictureline (a nice bunch of folks in Salt Lake City, Utah) also show this in stock. Dodd Camera (I've purchased from their pro division in the past and they're also great folks.) shows this lens in stock as well. It's an amazingly good lens.

The stock status is current as of the time I'm posting this, but of course could change at any time. I hope this helps you find some of the lenses you're looking to buy.

* Update April 8th: Camera West currently shows the XCD 55V as out of stock, but now shows the XCD 38V as in stock.

Capture Integration currently shows 3 XCD 55V lenses in stock. Additionally, Allen's Camera in Pennsylvania shows the XCD 55V in stock as does Ace Photo at their Ashburn, Virginia location. They did not show the XCD 55V in stock earlier, so it appears they received more lenses recently. B&H also received more XCD 55V lenses after my original post and showed it in stock online for a short time, but they sold out quickly. They currently show more XCD 38V and 55V lenses expected in two days on April 10th.

New lenses are shipping, but they appear to also sell out fairly quickly. If you're looking for immediate availability, you may find what you want with a bit of searching.
I did a quick online search today and updated my previous post regarding current availability of the XCD lenses mentioned by the original poster of this thread. I took particular note that Capture Integration at this moment shows 3 XCD 55V lenses in stock for anyone interested.

vjbelle

After I wrote that I looked at his website again - had a subscription a decade ago – and then I realized that he can get worked up massively about sharpness of actually good lenses and so he's maybe also not the most balanced source of information, especially since he also likes to include value for money into that equation.

And let's be honest SL's AF is not up to par with the top players in 35mm - the lenses are its main attraction ...

By the value for money measure (price / AF) you can just buy Sony and be done with it, lol. I mean glad he doesn't get worked up about P1 prices.
What I have found historically about Lloyd's testing is that he usually has a beef about design issues along with the obvious one off bad apple. Curvature is curvature and not lens specific. Focus shift is also not lens specific. Skew can be very lens specific so I never have given that fault to be important because that would be his specific copy but it would point out that there are QC issues.

With regards to Sony I don't own a single Sony lens. Sadly I have never had a copy I would keep. I shoot my 7RM5 with manual lenses only or on my Actus/M-Two.

Lenses are always a crap shoot. Buy from someone who will take the lens back or make it right......

Victor B.

baudolino

Just to add my two cents of information. Got feedback from my dealer today that the 90V lens is not available, there is no advice from Hasselblad as to likely shipping dates and there is a long waiting list. Looks like something is broken in the supply chain.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The XCD 90mm 2.5 is available directly from HASSELBLAD within two days . That's at least what it says when you visit their home page .

TechTalk

At the present time, in the EU and UK shipment time is listed as 2 days for the XCD 90V. In the U.S. the 90V lens is simply listed as Sold Out — Request Stock Alert.

https://store-eu.hasselblad.com/products/xcd-90

https://store-na.hasselblad.com/products/xcd-90

As I said earlier, Hasselblad is a relatively small low volume manufacturer with production which gets spread and allocated around the world and around various countries. So, depending on what you're trying to find it may be relatively easy or difficult to find it. ... As is often the case, the latest equipment is generally in highest demand and may be more difficult to find.

Last edited:

TechTalk

Just to add my two cents of information. Got feedback from my dealer today that the 90V lens is not available, there is no advice from Hasselblad as to likely shipping dates and there is a long waiting list. Looks like something is broken in the supply chain.
The current demand exceeds supply for some lenses. It happens.

Hasselblad has also introduced a new mechanical lens design paradigm with the XCD–V Series lenses and it seems likely new lenses will be introduced with the same focusing, depth of field, and control ring features. It's also quite possible that existing XCD designs will transition to the newer mechanical design used in the V lens Series.

Paul Spinnler

At the present time, in the EU and UK delivery time is listed as 2 days for the XCD 90V. In the U.S. the 90V lens is simply listed as Sold Out — Request Stock Alert.

https://store-eu.hasselblad.com/products/xcd-90

https://store-na.hasselblad.com/products/xcd-90

As I said earlier, Hasselblad is a relatively small low volume manufacturer with production which gets spread and allocated around the world and around various countries. So, depending on what you're trying to find it may be relatively easy or difficult to find it. ... As is often the case, the latest equipment is generally in highest demand and may be more difficult to find.
You are again diffusing facts and minimizing the reality. Making comments which don't say anyhting.

DJI is prioritizing its own sales channels to the detriment of established dealers, incl. the sponsor of this forum. That's a fact.

My preferred large dealer in Europe is essentially boycotting Hasselblad / DJI because of their new business tactics as it becomes clear that they have no shame in taking away revenue from dealers which were instrumental to them in the past, by using strategic sales channel management. If it is sold out at your dealer and you can order it online directly - that's intentional. There's no way to sugarcoat how DJI is killing off dealer supply.

In fact, DJI started to roll out Hasselblad as a retail brand in its own stores across Europe with over-the-counter sales of Hasselblad products in shopping malls.

They've cut the US B2B sales rep down to one person which is basically no one and are bit by bit dismantling classic dealer distribution models to increase their own profits.

If you order from DJI online, you essentially take away from dealers as they are cut out from the value chain.

Without dealers, I need to remind, no forum. There's no sugarcoating of what's happening here.

On top, early buyers wanting to get this back for tech cam purposes are seriously angry as it creates ugly PDAF banding not only on SK glass, but also Rodie wide-angles which makes it essentially unuseable for tech cam use right now.

Whether this can or will be mitigated is up in the stars.

Its quite uncool if all images you shoot with tech cam wides have strong artifacts.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

As always, you're entitled to your perspective and perception as are we all.
Your perspective is to just sugarcoat / minimize the reality of what DJI is doing with "it happens" and that it is a simple supply demand problem, failing to name what is really happening on the supply side and why there is an asymmetry between their online store and small independent dealer stock levels.

At this stage DJI has taken Hasselblad and put it besides the drone counter in shopping malls and is starving out professional sales channels. Although it was ultimately predictable given the ownership of DJI of both drones and Hasselblad, it is sad. The supply is there - it is just managed according to the retail strategy for the maximum profit of the business with a DJI first, independents second supply strategy. The lenses are usually easily available in their own EU online store. My dealer says for any Hasselblad lens he cannot forecast the delivery time ... mhhh ... weird, no?

Given that their sales strategy involves systematically cutting out dealers by tactically chocking their supply and given that this forum is sponsored by a dealer I think it should be condoned to order primarily from dealers. Consumers are ruthless in the sense that they'll order online if its immediately available vs. at the local dealer if it takes longer.

I'd never order a DJI product from their online store knowing the backstory better of what is happening and why inventory levels are most often different (ie online available faster) as it basically means taking away from dealers which are of tremendous value and support. If one can wait a few weeks it puts bread on the table of independent retailers.

I've never heard the dealer I buy products from in Europe be so angry. Having long-time customers calling in to cancel an order because they can order it online from the DJI store is unfair business practice at its finest and you should for a second try to imagine what a few lost lens and body sales each month mean for your ability to continue business, pay rent and employ store clerks.

Last edited:

Paul2660

General consensus is the picture of the 24 is a modified picture of the 38mm. Possibly a fake. Also images circulating about a new 135mm but seems to be a fake also.
Paul

hcubell

Your perspective is to just sugarcoat / minimize the reality of what DJI is doing with "it happens" and that it is a simple supply demand problem, failing to name what is really happening on the supply side and why there is an asymmetry between their online store and small independent dealer stock levels.

At this stage DJI has taken Hasselblad and put it besides the drone counter in shopping malls and is starving out professional sales channels. Although it was ultimately predictable given the ownership of DJI of both drones and Hasselblad, it is sad. The supply is there - it is just managed according to the retail strategy for the maximum profit of the business with a DJI first, independents second supply strategy. The lenses are usually easily available in their own EU online store. My dealer says for any Hasselblad lens he cannot forecast the delivery time ... mhhh ... weird, no?

Given that their sales strategy involves systematically cutting out dealers by tactically chocking their supply and given that this forum is sponsored by a dealer I think it should be condoned to order primarily from dealers. Consumers are ruthless in the sense that they'll order online if its immediately available vs. at the local dealer if it takes longer.

I'd never order a DJI product from their online store knowing the backstory better of what is happening and why inventory levels are most often different (ie online available faster) as it basically means taking away from dealers which are of tremendous value and support. If one can wait a few weeks it puts bread on the table of independent retailers.

I've never heard the dealer I buy products from in Europe be so angry. Having long-time customers calling in to cancel an order because they can order it online from the DJI store is unfair business practice at its finest and you should for a second try to imagine what a few lost lens and body sales each month mean for your ability to continue business, pay rent and employ store clerks.
Well, here we go again with your "perspective" which you relentlessly offer on anything and everything negative about Hasselblad. Another week, another diatribe. This is a vendetta on your part that has absolutely nothing to do with you personally in terms of the lack of availability of XCD lenses. Please just stop.

Paul Spinnler

Well, here we go again with your "perspective" which you relentlessly offer on anything and everything negative about Hasselblad. Another week, another diatribe. This is a vendetta on your part that has absolutely nothing to do with you personally in terms of the lack of availability of XCD lenses. Please just stop.
The point is factual - DJI is chocking dealer supplies while making product available online in a preferred manner or via their official stores. North America rep is down to one person – which is a clear sign of changed priorities.

These problems are even documented by this forum's sponsor. As said, I've never heard my local dealer so angry about one company. Customers calling in and cancelling to order online is a complete no-go.

TechTalk is just minimizing issues and diffusing them as soon as they relate to Hasselblad which is not helpful to address such issues.

Are you debating such facts?

Are you debating that as of today the new back is unuseable with tech cam wide-angles (SK as well as Rodie glass) on the wide side? There may be a resolution, but it is unclear how and when. That's a problem until resolved.

One cannot sugarcoat these business practices which are affecting independent re-sellers and neither the PDAF issue.

Its important to call a spade a spade in the hope there's a remedy. Ie a product update which fixes the PDAF issue and a change in distribution policy to protect independent re-sellers.

In an ideal world, the online store should be always out of stock and the only place to get the sought after products should be at your dealer who can deliver with 1-day shipping...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.