The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hello from Arizona!

Adam Schallau

Hi, everyone. My name is Adam Schallau, and I live in Flagstaff, Arizona. I've lived in the American Southwest for 23 years, including ten years in Taos, New Mexico, before moving to Flagstaff in 2012.

I spend much of my time exploring and photographing the Grand Canyon and Colorado River. I got hooked on the canyon when I was an Artist-in-Residence for the national park in 2009. I spend an average of 70 to 80 days a year photographing the canyon from the rim and the river. When I'm not photographing the canyon, I enjoy photographing on the Colorado Plateau and in the mountains of Colorado.

I've always loved the outdoors, especially the landscapes of the American West. I got my introduction to photography as an unwilling sherpa to a pro landscape photographer shooting with large format equipment. I was an 18-year-old kid who couldn't understand why we were up at 3:00 a.m. to climb a mountain, but I was happy to be outdoors, even if the gear weighed me down. Many years later, after being in a car accident where I was hit by a bus, I found my way to photography as a means of documenting my travels as I healed and returned to the outdoors. With time and practice, I began to see the camera as a tool that could be used for creative expression. I eventually left my past life behind to pursue being a full-time photographer.

I currently use a Fujifilm GFX 100S with the GF 20-35mm f/4, GF 45-100mm f/4, GF 100-200mm f/5.6, and a Canon EF 100-400mm with an adapter. I'm an ambassador for Arca-Swiss using a Monoball P0+Hybrid and C1 Cube.

I'm happy to be here, and I look forward to participating in great discussions.