The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

High altitude hiking trip gear thoughts?

Mexecutioner

One of my most enjoyable trips I only took an A7R3 with a 40mm Nokton. Almost fit in my pocket. Took it everywhere and shot everything I wanted.

I am in Japan on vacation at the moment, brought my XT and Z9, and a small tripod I got for the trip with a Core 60. There have been times I wish the kit would be lighter. I tried to buy a Q3 for this trip to avoid bringing the Nikon but could not find it in stock. While the pictures from the trip will be really good I do miss the mobility and have also decided to leave the backpack at the hotel a couple days as I am traveling with my wife and want to spend time with her more than with the Phase One gear.

if I was trekking I would take 2 GFX bodies and a couple lenses, no tripod and call it a day.

Have fun and be safe!

Last edited:

dchew

I've been to 4,000 meters with my technical camera; not 5,000+. I don't think the issue with a technical camera is weight so much as it is effort. Or, as Rowell used to say, "The Size of the Rat" in your stomach urging you to get to it. When taking 3 breaths in between each step, picking up an RX1R hanging from your pack is tough enough. Let alone setting up a technical camera on a tripod and possibly delaying the whole group. I do think most would prefer a GFX or a7r.

All that said, I've never regretted hauling my Alpa along. I've settled on that plus the Evil iPhone. I can take snaps without interrupting my progress or anyone else's. Then, when the time and light is right The Rat gets me out of my tent.

The other issue well-pointed out in other's posts is longer telephotos. But I've pretty much given up on that. A solid base and no wind is not the most readily available situation in the mountains.

Dave

ian_T

Love this conversation! I just came back from three days hiking between 8 & 15 mile days around 9,500 feet altitude (I know, significantly lower than your circuit, but high enough for the lungs to strain!). I always struggle with this camera/gear question. After many many trips with all sorts of cameras, here are my thoughts:

Have something fast and small (for many people that's a phone, which is great). I like the ricoh gr, but anything that fits in your pocket will be great. There are so many fleeting shots that you'll just completely miss if you have to stop and set up a camera. (Fleeting light through clouds, someone doing something interesting, etc).

Have something substantial that you'll take care with (tech camera, medium-format digital, etc), that you can put on a tripod and dial in exactly as you like. This is for those epic shots you'll end up printing or viewing large, that you'll put the time into editing.

Finally, if you CAN, try to minimize the number of different memory cards and batteries you need. So, if you're on a GFX camera, consider one of the X cameras that uses the same batteries & SD cards. It sucks to bring all different chargers and batteries etc, especially when charging opportunities might be few and far between.

PS: one of my favorite travel setups is to shoot film. Yes it's slightly harder to lug all the film around, but I find that shooting film keeps me more present in the moment because I can't review things, there are no screens, and I shoot more conservatively because I don't have unlimited memory. Enlarging from a point-and-shoot 35mm negative can look epic while enlarging from an iphone can look flat. Shooting a 6x6 negative with a TLR will get you more "sensor" coverage than any digital camera on the market, and the camera is simple, super light, and fun for people to engage with if you do want to take portraits.

anyone

+1 on the thoughts of Ian. Also in terms of point and shoot (Ricoh GR, lovely camera that gets a lot of use here) and TLR (Rolleiflex with 3.5 Planar).

One addition to the chargers: fortunately many cameras, including the GFX and Ricoh GR, can be now charged directly via usb-c. Just one cable instead of multiple chargers!

Boinger

Thought I'd post an update. I was debating not taking any equipment after this thread. But then I decided it's a great trip so we just hired an extra porter specifically for camera gear.

So I am probably goong to carry my gfx and techno (probably will use it rarely the techno of conditions allow) since I am allowed the weight why not.

So now my question returns what do I take now?

Gfx ii
32-64
50 3.5
100-200
250??? Worth taking this lens? I can buy it cheaply locally. I don't have a tc unfortunately
I also have 80mm 1.7 my favorite lens for people but was thinking of leaving this at home thoughts?

Techno (I have sliding stitching back as well)
Schneider 28/ 35 / 60 / 120 / 150
Rodenstock 23

I only want to take 3 lenses with the techno so what would be the best?

And finally my filter kit.

On the GFX kit I would rather take the 20-35 instead of the 32-64. I would leave the 100-200 at home. And bring a 110 and 250 along with that 50 😀

Boinger

I dont have the 20-35 unfortunately. I can buy it if it is a good optic?

I do have the 110 and the 50.

The 100-200 is not recommended as a zoom? I would think more range.