The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lighting a background with Rotolights

rollsman44

I have always uses a strobe to light the background in my portrait shots. The situation I have coming up is I am shooting young kids and the Speedlight will be in the way. So, I have 2 Rotolights the Orig. ones and was thinking of using them on a light stand off to the side of the background and angle them to light the background. I have a Painted background . Any suggestions to what I have in mind? thanks

JaapD

A Speedlight will easily outpower a Rotolight. The original Rotolights aren't that powerfull, only the Neo3 got significant more light output. Don't expect much luminosity from the original ones at, let's say, 1/125 sec shutter speed.

Cheers,
JaapD

daz7

I do not know how important the faithful colour reproduction to you is, but personally, I would stay away of any LED lights for anything other than quick shots for web. LED lighting gives me a hard time correcting colour, every time. There are strange green or purple spikes, colours that look washed up and I feel like fighting an uphill battle when working on such shots.
Maybe, for your project, the colour accuracy is not important at all, then OK, it should be fine.