The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 24-105/4 vs Sigma 24-70/2.8 for S1R

iiiNelson

Depends on what you’re looking for. The Sigma is likely sharper and gains a stop of light but the Panasonic is likely more versatile given the macro ability and better video functions. Price wise they’re about even.

eddystone

Well I've just bought the S1R with the 24-105 as there seems to be some strange pricing in the UK whereby the two together are £2799 whereas the body alone is £2599, ( minus £300 cash back) so the effective price of the lens is £200! I think the Sigma may be a bit more expensive than that. Anyway that will do me until next year when my 70th birthday present to myself may be the Sigma 14-28 and the 35 DN Contemporary. OTOH if I don't make it that far at least I'll have had some fun with the 24-105.

iiiNelson

Well I've just bought the S1R with the 24-105 as there seems to be some strange pricing in the UK whereby the two together are £2799 whereas the body alone is £2599, ( minus £300 cash back) so the effective price of the lens is £200! I think the Sigma may be a bit more expensive than that. Anyway that will do me until next year when my 70th birthday present to myself may be the Sigma 14-28 and the 35 DN Contemporary. OTOH if I don't make it that far at least I'll have had some fun with the 24-105.
Yeah I got my S1R on a Black Friday deal back in 2019. I paid less for the camera and the 24-105 than a normal S1 retails for even after tax. It was a demo unit that was never actually opened as far as I could tell. All of the cables and wrapping on the inside were sealed so I don't know if I was shipped the right camera or not but I'm not complaining either. It's a really underrated camera that I don't feel like Panasonic did a great job of marketing it. The retail price likely puts many off for sure and I was unsure about paying retail personally without hands on time. To my delight I was debating between a G9 for a travel camera and decided to have a quick look at the Lumix S deals. For less than $800 more I jumped from a G9 to a S1R so needless to say it may be the best camera deal I ever had... Well outside of selling my first M9 for about $1500 more than I paid for it a couple of years later.

eddystone

Yes I think it will be a great complement to my Olympus EM1 Mk2 - feels like a proper brick - reminds me of my Pentax 67 although I hope it's a lot quieter. I might have an issue with the dioptric adjustment range on the EVF - my reading glasses are +3. Had to bring old Win7 laptop back to life to update firmware - why do Macs refuse to extract .bin files?