The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Print, black and white, proof view

spassig

Hello

I use CaptureOne and the Epson SC P800 printer.
For color prints, I can select the respective ICC profile for printer/ paper in the proof view to roughly simulate the printout.
I do not do this with black and white printing, because I then set color management via manage printer and set it black and white in the printer driver.
Is this procedure correct and sensible?
That doesn't give me a proof view?

Thanks for feedback

Jochen

MartinN

Well, the Epson BW mode vs Normal Color Mode is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. With a good printer profile you should get good BW prints in normal color mode, but you lose the tweaking ability in Epson BW mode. However, you gain ability to proof the result and tweaking can be done before printer driver, in Lightroom or Photoshop. I try to avoid finicky magic things like Epson BW mode, but that is me.

spassig

@MartinN
Hello
I translate your answer and hope I understand it.
I used the color mode in the past.
I and other see a minimal color cast in the black and white printout.

Jochen

MartinN

A color cast could probably be minimized by a custom built printer profile for your printer and paper.

MartinN

Yes, many paper manufacturers provide profiles, but a really custom built and measured profile may be even better.