The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smallrig X-H2S/X-H2 L Bracket

biglouis

Smallrig have released a l-bracket for the X-H2/S form factor and I decided to get one for my camera (X-H2S). I already have one for the X-T4 which has proved very useful when I need to shoot with a tripod. The primary usp for me of the Smallrig is that it is several times cheaper than the Kirk brackets which are seen as more professional, My feeling is that at up to a third of the price, I am willing to live with a Smallrig as I can't really see any practical differences.

Here are some photos with comments. (BTW, I have no association with Smallrig, I am posting this as it may be of interest to other users). Explanations, under the photographs.
01_DSF5781.jpg
This is the bracket, showing that it comes in a nice box but more importantly, well protected and with two accessories: a small flat screw driver that can be used to tighten the central mounting screw and an Allen key which can be used to deconstruct the bracket, or screw together additional rig pieces, e.g. top cage, handle etc (not provided and mainly for video use).

02_DSF5789.jpg
The photo of the underside shows how it is possible to extend outwards the vertical side of the bracket. A new feature, which is very handy, is that the magnetised flat screwdriver now slots securely into a recess (on the older X-T5 bracket this was only held by the magnet and could potentially fall off, although it has never happened to me, so far). Still, it show that the products are evolving and it is a nice touch.

03_DSF5791.jpg
The bracket with camera mounted in landscape mode. Both horizontal and vertical sides are Arca Swiss compatible. Note the centre markings on both aspects.

04 Picture1.jpg
Some cheap or non-dedicated l brackets do not allow articulation of the screen. The Smallrig allows full articulation whilst mounted. In fact, the main problem for me is that wide lip of my tripod head. But I can open pull down and rotate the screen into its closed (or lcd panel outwards) position while mounted with the Smallrig.

05 Picture2.jpg
Another issue with cheaper or non-dedicated brackets is that it can be impossible to change the battery. Small right has solved this by a small lever-shaped piece that you move out of the way to allow full access to the battery while the camera is in the bracket.

For my use, as primarily a stills photographer the Smallrig is more than enough and given the flexibility of adding (for additional cost) bits and pieces if I ever get into video I would be able to create a full cage with handle. Overall, I think it is a great value for money accessory and I thoroughly recommend it.

Just my two cents

LouisB

Last edited: