The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What A2 printer to buy? Recommendations welcome.

daz7

Hi,

I am looking for A2 (or larger) printers. Up to now, I've been using a smaller, A3+ printer which I was really happy with (Canon pixma pro 1), but I need larrger output.
Any recommendations?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
My first EPSON was the 4800 and I replaced it later by the EPSON 3800 . No trouble so far .
If that printer fails , I will surely go for the SC-P900 , or the successor . I have only very good experience with EPSON and don't see a reason to change to an other brand .

MartinN

I have the Epson 3880 and have only one problem, the sheet feedeer is not good so I have to print one sheet at a time. How’s the P900, same problem?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Martin

Did you adjust the platen gap according to the thickness of your paper ?
I always do a single paper feed for thicker or heavier paper .

MartinN

Martin

Did you adjust the platen gap according to the thickness of your paper ?
I always do a single paper feed for thicker or heavier paper .
Yes, for thick papers I adjust platen gap. But I have profiled all my 'normal thin' papers to ultra premium photo paper, so I can use that type if needed.

However, the 3880 has three different feeders, Auto, Rear Manual and Front manual. The rear and front are for single feed. However the 'Auto' screws up feeding a stack of papers, and I have heard almost everyone with 3880 has this 'feature' or 'problem'. :confused:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I had a 3800 and then later a 3880. Never had a feed problem, but used them infrequently enough that I had clogging issues. I hear nothing but good things about the P900, so I don’t think there is a bad choice here.

I wish the Canon took roll paper, but I don’t regret switching. It’s mostly that *I* seem to screw up less.

Last edited:

scho

I'm still happy with my Epson P800 and if I need an occasional print larger than 17x22 I would farm it out to Bay Photo lab. I previously had a Canon iPF 24 inch printer, but it became somewhat expensive to maintain and my need for large prints declined.

Godfrey

I've been using the Epson P600 since about 2016. It handles up to B3 (13x19 inch cut sheet, approximately) which is satisfactory for me. It proves an excellent printer and has done very well.

I can't say that I'm as delighted by the latest Epson driver for the P600 on macOS Ventura. They seem to have stripped all the high-end controls out of it, it proves a serious PITA in use now.

G