The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

what to replace my Z3100 with

Massive Si

I have used the HP Designjet Z3100 for years

But its giving me more and more problems, the inks & heads are getting really expensive and I am starting to think about replacing it.
I dont know what to go for as a replacement and hoping to get some advice.

Things I like about the z3100:
colour profiling
built in calibration
can be left alone for periods without drying up
when it works, it works great

print heads are a bit of a consumable, most printing solutions are "replace the heads" and thats getting more and more pricey
a full set of 12 inks are $$$$

I print on 24" rolls, colour and B&W for art shows etc

Biggest worry, is that I dont print very often (once or twice a month)

any suggestions please?

dchew

I had an Epson 7900 for many years and now a Canon 4100. Despite the old Epson head clogging horror stories, mine gave me a good, long service life before the head started to go. 12 years I think!
I think the Canon operates closest to what you are used to. Heads are replaceable at a lower cost than Epson. I will say it cleans a lot. I print a few times a month usually in batches. Unfortunately neither Epson or Canon has built in profiling. I’ve been using Andrew Rodney to make profiles for me since the old X-Rite software became incompatible with whatever OS that was a few years ago. Can’t justify the cost for a few profiles a year. I bought the Canon because of timing. It was just before Epson released their current versions.
I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Given your infrequent printing maybe the Canon would be the better choice, but I have not kept up with the new Epson and their propensity to clog.
Dave

MartinN

A startup or print once a month should be ok in not too dry and hot climates. That is how I use my Epson, the summer months a bit more critical.