The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why are used Epson P800 printers selling for top dollar ?

KC_2020

I have a new in the box, never used Epson P800 and just checked eBay to see what it is worth if I decide to sell it.

I was surprised to find that they're selling for very close to what they cost new.

Anyone have an insight as to why ?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Are they actually selling, or is that the asking price? Sometimes, you're buying from Adorama and it's not discounted at all - they just reach a larger audience on eBay (I got my last tripod that way).

KC_2020

I filtered my search for U.S. only and Sold.

3 sold in the last couple of weeks for $1150, $1275 and $1130 plus shipping of $95 to $150. None of them were from dealers.

MartinN

The thing about inkjets is that if the printer nozzles have printed, then it is not new, and clogging ’potential’ starts from that day. A never used printer is a whole different affair, that can be a very good buy, but I can’t say anything about pricing. I am still on my first 3880 and going quite well.

scho

Still using my P800 with no clogging problems after 3 years of use. Front drop down door plastic hinges don't work properly, but doesn't affect printing.

KC_2020

What I've learned is that the P800 allows ink cartridges to be refilled using non-epson ink. The newer printer that replaced it won't run refilled cartridges. So that's kept the P800 in demand. I guess I'll keep mine.

MartinN

Are you speaking from experience ?

I thought you were still running the 3880 ?
Yes, I am running my 3880, but the general opinion is that refilling can lead to clogging because of non optimized components in generinc ink mixtures. I don’t risk anything and always buy Epson original.