The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

>61MP image files

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I may just go for a P65+ demo or something. Or wait it out until Phase puts this sensor into use in maybe a smaller package.

Professional

Incredible details for sure, but i am sure all new digital backs are capable of delivering those incredible details and quality, it is just that with higher mp you can print larger and then i don't know how larger i want to print when current models are more than enough and some saying it is overkill even, but sure we always wanting to see and try the highest mp available, dunno what we will say when 150-200+ mp hit the markets, then we will say that this new 80mm which is still not in the markets maybe i think is nothing much, i think the problem is not with those new DBs, the problem is with us when we always looking up and dismiss what is down, lol.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It is a new experience having to down-res for modest size prints LOL
-bob

JSK Rangefinder

I may just go for a P65+ demo or something. Or wait it out until Phase puts this sensor into use in maybe a smaller package.
Guy smaller package as far as thinner back with bigger and better screen would be a great idea.. I would personally buy the new Leaf 80MP DB today even though that battery sticking out is just reminding me of the video cameras from early 90s.. on the other hand, (if i'm correct) Phase offer if you buy let's say P65+ today it will hold its value over 2 years so in two years you get your 90% of $$$ back against the new purchase of redesigned Phase DB and that shows confidence/business growth.. I don't think any other manufacturer can kick that as of today..

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
True kind of waiting for the new sensor in a P45 crop with bigger LCD than I'm all over it but not ready to move away from the P40+ it is just about perfect for me just the 1:3 crop does bug me at times. Rather have 1:1 the P45 has.Whatever the MPX comes in at would be fine

yaya

Just playing with the 120mm T/S today on the Aptus-II 12;

Wide open with full tilt and a bit of rise

Also got a full size version of this one on my iDisk; this is with the 80mm LS

Yair

goesbang

My understanding of the Phase One offer is that you will get 90% of your purchase price back on backs purchased from now on IF you are trading it on a NEW MODEL back that is released within 18 months of your purchase. This is a different offer from the usual upgrade path.
Can anyone from Phase confirm?

They have added some fine print to the program, so really it could be as short as six months instead of 18 -

..All upgrades ordered using the Phase One Investment Protection Program must be ordered within 6 months of the announcement of the new product by Phase One..

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
My understanding of the Phase One offer is that you will get 90% of your purchase price back on backs purchased from now on IF you are trading it on a NEW MODEL back that is released within 18 months of your purchase. This is a different offer from the usual upgrade path.
Can anyone from Phase confirm?
They have added some fine print to the program, so really it could be as short as six months instead of 18 -

..All upgrades ordered using the Phase One Investment Protection Program must be ordered within 6 months of the announcement of the new product by Phase One..
So the idea of the program is that it's a challenge for everyone that there is always some "new thing" on the horizon. But our clients, our expensive/long-anticipated trips, and our tax-savings don't always align perfectly with the timelines in which gear is released or announced.

This program guarantees that if anything is announced that you would rather have bought that you'll have at least 90% of the value of your back, 50% of your camera, and 50% of the value of your lenses if you want to upgrade any of those components to the "new thing".

So if you bought a 65+ today for $33k and a P900+ is released in say 16 months at $37k then you could upgrade to the P900+ for $37k minus ($33k x 90%), or $7k. In total you will have spent only $3k more than if you had "just waited" for the P900+ and during that 16 months you had a 65+ to use.**

As noted by Joseph points out you have to make your decision for any specific upgrade within six months of any specific new product being announced. But that should be, IMO, more than enough time for you to go shoot with the new back, do some comparisons, do some research, and decide if it's worth it. It's not that small of print and appears on both the "teaser" and "full details" page of the offer, so there is no trickery to it IMO.

*P900+ chosen as a name to avoid implying any particular future product.
**Values rounded to keep things readable, actually $7300 and $3300

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

..It's not that small of print..

Actually it is TINY print on the home page announcement under the camera. Tiny print, small print, whatever. What it means is that you could have as little as six months protection instead of the 18 months that is being touted, but who is counting.