The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm cameras with no sprocket teeth

The vast majority of 35mm film cameras in my possession have sprocket teeth for perforated film. There are some 35mm cameras with no sprockets – handy for unperforated film. Though in my opinion, it's not much of an advantage (how super rare would it be to come across unperforated film?)

Not too long ago, I was watching a youtube video made by a guy who reckons that 35mm cameras with no sprockets would increase the chances of overlapping frames on a film. Just wondering if there is any truth to that? Medium format film doesn't make use of sprockets / perforations and Ive shot a fair bit of that with a Yashca TLR and a Koni Omega Rapid and Ive never experienced frame overlap issues.

MartinN

I had once a worn Pentacon Six. It did not overlap frames, but instead created overly large, inaccurate and inconsisten frame spacings. Wasted film, and I was told unrepairable. On the other hand, I had an all electric Pentax MZ5 that had sprockets, but the transport gears (plastic) broke, and I was told it was unrepairable. ;)