The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A couple of questions for SL2 owners

Paul2660

I am considering the SL2, and have a couple of questions I hope that current users can answer.

1. With manual focus, and Live View, with most other cameras I have used you can double tap the rear screen to zoom to 100% view and then move around the screen. From reading the manual on the SL2, it seems that works similar to the Q2, i.e. you zoom in by moving the focusing ring on the lens. I like this on the Q2, however still would like to have a double tap or similar feature available. The Q2 is a dedicated lens, the SL2 takes any L mount or older Leica lenses with adapters. If you are using a Panasonic L mount lens, I assume this works the same way, moving the manual focus ring zooms into Live View. But how does a non Leica lens work, say a Milvus 15mm for Nikon F mount. With an adapter this lens should work perfectly on the SL2, in manual mode. But not sure how I would zoom into 100% view on live view.

2. The non tilting LCD for me an issue as I do like to shoot low to the ground and at times having a screen that is moveable in position is a huge asset (please Phase One, get Capture Pilot working again for the IQ4). Can you use the Leica photos app on iPhone via bluetooth to view the Live View screen to help setup the shot? I know you can fire the camera from the app, but curious to know how others find the app for viewing a scene.

Thanks in advance, Leica is increasing the price 600.00 on the SL1 04/01/21, so I want to move forward before then.

The Panasonic S1R, I realize is another solution, however the more simple design and layout of the SL2 appeals to me, and less mass and weight.

Paul C

SrMphoto

You can assign a button to trigger magnification. I have assigned one of the two front buttons to magnify the view.
I assume that you could use Leica's app, but I am not using it. I prefer to use the right-angle viewfinder (third party, sold by Leica Miami).
I like my SL2 and SL2-S a lot.

baudolino

Yes, you can use Leica Fotos on your phone, together with the SL2. I tested it just yesterday, as part of preparation for a shoot where I intend to fix the camera on the boom arm of an Avenger light stand and move it high above my model. I will use the app to review the framing, place my focus point, change shoot parameters and trigger the shutter. I am even thinking rigging the camera like this together with a ring flash. We will see :)

Paul2660

thanks, I was able to get Fotos to work with the SL2, and the Live View screen can be viewed. I need to get some form of holder for my iPhone in it's current case that would fit in the flash socket, as holding the phone and camera did not work very well. Also outdoors, the iPhone I have the 10s screen is pretty hard to see in any type of direct sunlight.

Also, after working with the SL2 a few weeks, I have realized that it has pretty poor battery life in general and adding the bluetooth connection just shortens the life even more.

I was a bit remiss in not checking on both the COST and supply of the battery for the SL2. Cost is way out of line with any other camera I have used, Nikon, Fuji, P1, Sony etc. $285.00 per battery is way out of line with what you get. I realize that Leica choose to make the battery part of the cast (still not sure on that decision), so the battery design is critical to case integration and integrity. But the cost is still hard to take, for a battery that lasts about 1/2 a day of shooting, if that.

Paul