The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another fine XCD lens ...

Godfrey

The XCD 65mm f/2.8 lens for my Hasselblad 907x arrived yesterday. It's a meaty, beefy normal lens and makes such beautiful photos! Time to go for a walk with it.

:D

Pardon the slightly cheesy beauty shots...

Hasselblad 907x SE + XCD 65mm f/2.8

G

nameBrandon

Always wanted to try that one, but sold off the Hassy kit before I could. It just seemed too incremental of a step for me between the 45P and 90/3.2. Interested to hear your take on it and see some images!

Godfrey

I took the camera as configured in the above photos out on a walk yesterday and made a couple of dozen exposures with it, getting the feel of the XCD 65 lens. It's not much bigger than the 45P lens, a little shorter than the 90mm, but it's a heavier than either and you can feel the weight of the lens elements as it focuses. The camera as configured proves a bit bulky but comfortable to carry with the strap across my body, and it's quick to pick up and make a casual photo with.

To the note about being too incremental a step: Well, for me they are all three very different! I've found the 45P often a bit too wide and the 90 a bit too long as those two are equivalents of the 35FF 35mm and 75mm focal lengths. The 65mm is the format normal ... and when I look at all the photographs from all the different formats over the years, I'd say that something on the order of 80% of them are made with the normal lens for the format. I was feeling that I wasn't shooting with the 907x all that much and not really understanding why ... Now I know: I didn't have a normal lens. I suspect I'll get this camera out much more often now that I have the 65mm... such it is!! :D

I stopped in a cafe to get some lunch and a drink of water ... warm out and I'd been walking for about 2 miles or so. I connected up my iPhone to the 907x to review the photos in Phocus Mobile 2 ... a bit more screen real estate to play with ... and was diddling about with the camera control features when I saw the table across from me with an older man and his grandson. They were deep in conversation. I made the exposure and quickly cropped away about 40% of it, then took it around to show them on the iPhone. They were very pleasant, had been discussing the young man's school work—he's a college student. I emailed the photo to them on the spot. I later re-rendered the photo at home in Lightroom Classic with the same crop and a bit of modest cleanup to the lighting. I didn't even bother looking at noise reduction as I like the feel of the lightly grainy appearance, barely visible at this resolution.

Grandfather and Grandson - Santa Clara 2021
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 65mm f/2.8
ISO 3200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/250

I have to say, this is a wonderful lens! It's heavy but quick in use, a bit noisier than the other XCDs I've got, and the imaging is superb. Very glad I went for it! More soon...

enjoy,
G