The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone considering the new GM 50mm f1.2?

ggibson

It's enticing. Really nice images I've seen so far. I love shooting my Voigtlander 40/1.2, and this would have even better image quality with autofocus. I currently have the 55/1.8 for an autofocus normal. I could consolidate those lenses into one, perhaps. This 50/1.2 and the 35/1.4 GM have me rethinking my whole lens lineup. Even though the size and weight are impressive compared to its AF contemporaries and the prior 50/1.4 ZA, to Keith's point 778g is getting up there in weight. More than I like to carry on my Sony, although perhaps I've gotten used to it a bit while lugging my Hasselblad film camera around. I'm not planning to get this one yet anyways, I can wait a while, see the reviews and user reports, and then maybe pick up a used copy at a discount down the line if I'm still interested.

pegelli

How many?
11 "pure" 50's add 7 more if you consider 45-58 mm range "standard" lenses 😖
And over the past years I have already sold/given away 6 more. Still a long way to go 😳

I'm with Graham, maybe pick up one later (2nd hand) at a good price, but I have no immediate urge to buy one now.

k-hawinkler

11 "pure" 50's add 7 more if you consider 45-58 mm range "standard" lenses 😖
And over the past years I have already sold/given away 6 more. Still a long way to go 😳

I'm with Graham, maybe pick up one later (2nd hand) at a good price, but I have no immediate urge to buy one now.
Thanks Pieter, that’s a lot.
I have about a handful left, including two f/1.2 and one f/0.95.
At the moment I am more interested in the A1.
But I’ll wait a bit with ordering until it is more readily available.

peterb

It's enticing. Really nice images I've seen so far. I love shooting my Voigtlander 40/1.2, and this would have even better image quality with autofocus. I currently have the 55/1.8 for an autofocus normal. I could consolidate those lenses into one, perhaps. This 50/1.2 and the 35/1.4 GM have me rethinking my whole lens lineup. Even though the size and weight are impressive compared to its AF contemporaries and the prior 50/1.4 ZA, to Keith's point 778g is getting up there in weight. More than I like to carry on my Sony, although perhaps I've gotten used to it a bit while lugging my Hasselblad film camera around. I'm not planning to get this one yet anyways, I can wait a while, see the reviews and user reports, and then maybe pick up a used copy at a discount down the line if I'm still interested.
I'm actually looking at the GM 50mm f1.2 and the Zeiss 35mm f1.4. Yes the GM 35mm f1.4 is sharper and technically better but I think the "flaws" of the Zeiss (vignetting and more corner softness for example) create more interesting images with more of a pop.

Mexecutioner

I'm actually looking at the GM 50mm f1.2 and the Zeiss 35mm f1.4. Yes the GM 35mm f1.4 is sharper and technically better but I think the "flaws" of the Zeiss (vignetting and more corner softness for example) create more interesting images with more of a pop.
I’ll share my impressions as I ordered both the 35 and 50 GM’s. The 35 is probably 3 weeks away and the 50 almost a couple months. If I were to choose one it would probably be the 50, but I also like 35 focal length a lot.

I agree with you that character and feel is more important than technical perfection. I was also tempted by the Voigtlander 35 APO for this very reason, but I think I’m going to get AF lenses this time around, since the 35GM doesn’t cost that much more anyway.

ggibson

This set of comparison images and the accompanying video were pretty interesting to see.

He does say in the video that the ZA 50/1.4 had some optical problems that made him think that his loaner lens was broken in some way (about 7min in) that affected sharpness and the bokeh balls in that full body shot look a bit odd to me. I've generally heard excellent things about that lens and its rendering so I'm inclined to agree--take those results with a grain of salt.

It was interesting to note that like the ZA f1.4, the 50GM is also a bit wider than 50mm. The Leica is a bit tighter and the 55/1.8 obviously even a bit more. This comparison does make me appreciate how close my 55/1.8 is, despite its small size and weight. But the new 50GM certainly does have something just a bit extra in the look wide open, and I can appreciate going for that "wow" factor.

The other "wow" factor for me was the A1 autofocus shooting this lens wide open. Amazing for event photographers.

Alkibiades

simply yes!
I love the modern 1,2 lenses,
I already own the Sigma 1,2-35 mm that is really large but I like more 50 mm lenses than 35mm.
I was jealous of nikon-canon users becouse of their 1,2-50 mm new lenses.
I will go for the new sony 1,2 -50 mm for sure.
I owned zeiss 55-1,8- it was very sharp and small, but in some cases boring.

Mexecutioner

Mine shipped today and will be here on Friday. I’m hoping this weekend I can find some time to play around with it.

Alkibiades

got my yesterday!
extremly compact for 1,2 lens,
the perfect lens for my A7rIV,
this is what I was looking for.
The sigma 1,2-35 mm is also a great lens, even much better build-( I dont like the sony plastic)- but too big for a lens that can me take everywere.
The sony 1,2 together with sony 1,8-135 are great combo for people photography.