The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone have any photos with the S3?

shortpballer

I have been looking endlessly online to find anything taken with the S3 beyond the few reviews that were done over the last couple years.

Paul Spinnler

It is an amazing camera. Worth every cent. The point of it is the colour science, high DR combined with the very special Leica S lenses. They give you an unmistakably cinematic look.

satybhat

I agree, there are just not enough reviews out there, nor does anyone seem bothered to do one. S3, wrt image quality and optical handling, seems to be an absolute beast of a camera, although lacking in some commonly available modern functionality. I've thought many times if I should just pull the trigger, but sanity (wrt my budget) reins me in each time. YMMV, but for me, even by Leica standards, it is just a bit too expensive. In Australia, it retails at $29000. I mean, come on.

shortpballer

I did end up buying one. It is a hell of a camera, and I shoot Alpa and phase one XF + iq4150 . Images are much sharper and more pop.

Reactions: med

shortpballer

I thought the same, demoed it, then had to get it. The lenses plus color science make it unique. I think it is sad that Leica does not push it more.
Don’t you know Leica only cares about their stupid special editions? They don’t care about us professional photographers ;)

Paul Spinnler

Some stores don't even stock the S3 or S lenses for that matter. Clearly, no sale this way ... understand they are re-thinking their approach to the "professional" line in terms of distribution / customer service ...

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I don't think you *can* push a mirrored camera anymore.
(Doesn't bother me. There's live view when needed.)

shortpballer

I dont think the issue is mirrorless vs mirrored. I am a professional photographer and I will not even touch mirrorless. I honestly think mirrorless is garbage and for the lazy / people that can't properly expose without a live view. It is slow, it ruins the whole surprise aspect. Just not a fan at all of looking at a screen and clicking when you like what the screen shows. Of course this is my opinion and I mean no disrespect to those who love mirrorless.

I don't think you *can* push a mirrored camera anymore.
(Doesn't bother me. There's live view when needed.)

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I dont think the issue is mirrorless vs mirrored. I am a professional photographer and I will not even touch mirrorless. I honestly think mirrorless is garbage and for the lazy / people that can't properly expose without a live view. It is slow, it ruins the whole surprise aspect. Just not a fan at all of looking at a screen and clicking when you like what the screen shows. Of course this is my opinion and I mean to disrespect to those who love mirrorless.
Oh, I don't like mirrorless either.

tcdeveau

Of course this is my opinion and I mean to disrespect to those who love mirrorless.
Im guessing this is a type and you meant *dont* mean to disrespect?

either way [not directed at shortpballer]….mirrorless vs mirror….in general: who cares? Plenty of folks out there that would probably say digital in general is for the lazy too. Shoot whatever floats ones boat and/or is the right tool for the job. It’s ok to not like mirrorless.

The S system is awesome and I’ve had my eye on the S3, but I’m going to wait a few years to find one in the used market. Current point of entry makes no sense for me at the moment.

Reactions: med